Dez Bryant released

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
NSFW: Language

Could you imagine talking to your coach like that? I get that it's a little different once you get to the NFL and are a 9 year vet and such. But it just shows how he didn't listen to his coach at all. Dez really believed he was untouchable and clearly became uncoachable as a result.

p1_

DCC 4Life
And just think: this was leading into the Denver game. And what happened to Dez and the offense that game? There wasnt any "beat the fuck" out of anyone that day, unless you say that about Denver beating he fuck out of Dez and Co.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Except oftentimes they were, and unfortunately it helped to paint an inaccurate narrative.

For example, the first Redskins game last year. Dez is on the sidelines holding up two fingers.

The announcers said something to the effect of, "he's telling everyone around him that he's only had two passes thrown to him."

It was a bad look against Bryant.

Except you heard the audio on All or Nothing. And Bryant was ACTUALLY saying, "they've only played cover 1 against us 2 times."

Not at all what the announcers accused him of saying.
This is true. Broadcasters do like creating drama to keep viewers tuned in.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
NSFW: Language

That was childish but nowhere near being an actual issue.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Could you imagine talking to your coach like that? I get that it's a little different once you get to the NFL and are a 9 year vet and such. But it just shows how he didn't listen to his coach at all. Dez really believed he was untouchable and clearly became uncoachable as a result.
That is what happens when the owner basically adopts a player. It makes him feel untouchable. He knows who his boss is. It is not his head coach. It is especially not a peon WR coach like Dooley. I can tell you right now if he said what he wanted to say to Bryant, he would have ran to Uncle Jerry.

Jerry Jones and the way he does business is why things like this can even be allowed to happen.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
That is what happens when the owner basically adopts a player. It makes him feel untouchable. He knows who his boss is. It is not his head coach. It is especially not a peon WR coach like Dooley. I can tell you right now if he said what he wanted to say to Bryant, he would have ran to Uncle Jerry.

Jerry Jones and the way he does business is why things like this can even be allowed to happen.
This is exactly why Bennett's comments make no sense... JJ ran this franchise like a family, which is the opposite of how a business should be run. Me thinks Martellus don't know what "corporate" means.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is exactly why Bennett's comments make no sense... JJ ran this franchise like a family, which is the opposite of how a business should be run. Me thinks Martellus don't know what "corporate" means.
Corporate means white to him. White TE, white QB and multiple white offensive lineman.

p1_

DCC 4Life

It makes Jerry the appropriate one to do the dirty work of kicking the adopted son to the curb.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Corporate means white to him. White TE, white QB and multiple white offensive lineman.
The Cowboys culture is old fashioned. Unfortunately, as long as the old school mentality exists, they will have a tough time.

And I don't think it will change as long as a Jones is alive.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

My big problem with that sequence wasn't Dez being a brat (although he was), the big problem was Dooley's reaction. He fucking apologized.

And it's not just Dez, they're like that with all the star players at the very least.

Look at the sequence when Zeke overslept and was late. Gary Brown was basically like, "that's all right zeke. You tired? I'll lighten your load today."

I don't get a strong sense that the coaches are in charge.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
My big problem with that sequence wasn't Dez being a brat (although he was), the big problem was Dooley's reaction. He fucking apologized.

And it's not just Dez, they're like that with all the star players at the very least.

Look at the sequence when Zeke overslept and was late. Gary Brown was basically like, "that's all right zeke. You tired? I'll lighten your load today."

They aren't in charge. And the hillbilly at the top is the only man to blame. A low level position coach isn't going to get Jerry's support especially over one of his pets so why should they risk their jobs holding Zeke or Dez accountable like they should and probably want to?

This is a big reason we can't succeed regardless of how good the roster is. Even though he isn't necessarily as bad as he used to be, Jerry's actions still severely undercut the authority of the coaching staff. If we can easily see Garrett and his coaches don't have true authority you know the players realize it and some are always going to abuse it.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
They aren't in charge. And the hillbilly at the top is the only man to blame. A low level position coach isn't going to get Jerry's support especially over one of his pets so why should they risk their jobs holding Zeke or Dez accountable like they should and probably want to?

This is a big reason we can't succeed regardless of how good the roster is. Even though he isn't necessarily as bad as he used to be, Jerry's actions still severely undercut the authority of the coaching staff. If we can easily see Garrett and his coaches don't have true authority you know the players realize it and some are always going to abuse it.
This is professional football. Position coaches are pretty replaceable. Star players not as much. Dooley wasn't being weak as much as just managing a difficult personality. Verbal ninjitsu. I do it all the time.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

"I'm sorry. I'll choose my words more carefully."

GTFOH with that bullshit.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Like lostxn said... Dooley was "managing the situation", and there was also a tone of sarcasm to it. BTW, he never said "I'm sorry" or even apologized.

Dooley was in a "no win" position... he gave them an honest and accurate assessment of the Broncos' defense, but Dez didn't want to hear that. Sure, Dooley could have stood his ground and pushed the issue, but he (and everyone) knew that would have resulted in a shouting match (or worse), so the coach chose "option B" (to placate Dez and diffuse the tension). Even when they resumed the film session and Dooley started talking about the Broncos again, Dez still ran his mouth.

Also, Dooley didn't create that "prima donna", no, that behavior was fostered by the culture and environment that "kissed his ass" early in his career. The time to teach him was back then... it's too late now. Dooley was trying to make the best out of a difficult situation.

:lol @ Beasley and T-Will while this is going on.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
In one of Dez's " confession" sessions he professes that everything he does is because of his love for the game of football... not the money, not the fame, he just wanted to win a SB for the Cowboys. He also admitted that his drops were not related to ability, but the frustration in his head.

So, I'm thinking, IF this is true and it is how he actually feels, then WHY would he turn down a 4-year @ $7 mil per offer to play for a well run franchise like the Ravens?

lostxn

DCC 4Life
New Cowboys WRs coach Sanjay Lal: Dez Bryant was less consistent in 2017, judging by the tape

By Brandon George , Staff Writer Contact Brandon Georgeon Twitter:mad:DMN_George

FRISCO - New Cowboys receivers coach Sanjay Lal came to work for Dallas with a plan in place. He said he put together a "point of attack" tape on each of the Cowboys receivers from last year, breaking down their every move.

Lal said he identified each receiver's strengths and deficiencies, homing in on technique.

"You have to coach the minutia or it doesn't help them," Lal said Friday from the opening day of Cowboys rookie minicamp, "so there are a lot of hours spent."

Lal spent a lot of time studying Dez Bryant's routes from 2017, well before the Cowboys released him last month.

What stood out to him about Bryant on tape from 2017?

"I still saw he's physical and violent at the route top," Lal said. "He's still one of the best slant runners in the league.
"Without getting into specifics, I just saw more inconsistencies in his game."

More inconsistencies than in previous years?

"Yeah," Lal said, "I would say so."

Lal said he knew Bryant's game well before he arrived in Dallas, having used him as an example at previous coaching stops.

"I would always pull Dez Bryant cut-ups, 'Here's how you go play violently for a ball, here's how you turn on a back-shoulder fade,'" Lal said. "I have a whole slant cut-up of Dez Bryant, so I've been a great admirer of how he plays the game. I still think he has that."

Asked to detail what inconsistencies he saw in Bryant's game in 2017, Lal declined.

"I really don't want to get into specifics in that, but a general feeling," Lal said.

Earlier this month, just after the draft, Cowboys scouting chief Will McClay told ESPN 103.3 that Bryant showed an inability to win one-on-one down field in 2017, adding "there was inconsistency" in his play. McClay backed off somewhat on those comments in following days in subsequent radio interviews.
But Lal echoed McClay.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So why don't they want to specify the 'inconsistencies"? What harm could come from telling the fanbase the painful detail of what we all watched last season. Im guessing its not a flattering analysis, so we won't go into all that.

Top Bottom