Dez Bryant released

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I am sure people will elevate him like Romo.

Frankly, he was a posterchild for Jerry Jones' coddling.

Talented but hardly all-time great.

Irvin, Hayes, Pearson, Owens, Bryant, Hill.
Hill over Dez.

I put Dez in the range of Glenn and Galloway.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol

Genghis Khan

Dez was better than both, but at least Glenn is in the conversation. But Galloway? C'mon now.
Galloway is actually a good example and cautionary tale of what can happen to a receiver's stats without a good quarterback and offensive system. Check out Galloway's numbers in Seattle and Tampa versus what he did in Dallas.

Just like Galloway wasn't the problem in Dallas, Dez wasn't the problem in Dallas.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Galloway is actually a good example and cautionary tale of what can happen to a receiver's stats without a good quarterback and offensive system. Check out Galloway's numbers in Seattle and Tampa versus what he did in Dallas.

Just like Galloway wasn't the problem in Dallas, Dez wasn't the problem in Dallas.
So very right. Galloway was cursed to have had only a couple of years with good QBs (aging Warren Moon). He had 22 TDs in those two years. In Dallas the likes of Carter, Wright, Stoerner, Leaf, et al was embarrassing.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Irvin, Hayes, Pearson, Owens, Bryant, Hill.
Pearson was great but couldn’t touch Owens or Hayes if he strapped on a jet pack.

Bryant was also better than Pearson. Drew was shifty, a class act, and a professional, but Bryant was a much stronger-willed competitor and far more talented.

Drew’s lone advantage would have been route-running.

You might not personally like Dez, but the guy is a Cowboys all-timer.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life

He has to be monitizing that stuff cuz it's funny as hell.

Cotton

Staff member
He has to be monitizing that stuff cuz it's funny as hell.
It's just spot on. I mean, just reading this board, he hits on just about all of the reactions to this offseason.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Pearson was great but couldn’t touch Owens or Hayes if he strapped on a jet pack.

Bryant was also better than Pearson. Drew was shifty, a class act, and a professional, but Bryant was a much stronger-willed competitor and far more talented.

But there's something to be said for the route running. We all agree that Dez was a physical beast and has talent, but if he could run routes like Drew or Michael, he would have been an NFL alltimer. They've told us Dak is it for the future so the type of WR he needs is a Drew type since we know he's averse to throwing it to a WR when there's some doubt or risk.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But there's something to be said for the route running. We all agree that Dez was a physical beast and has talent, but if he could run routes like Drew or Michael, he would have been an NFL alltimer. They've told us Dak is it for the future so the type of WR he needs is a Drew type since we know he's averse to throwing it to a WR when there's some doubt or risk.
Dak has to prove that he can win by “spreading the ball around” vs. what most QB’s not named Brady do— get the ball to your best weapons as accurately as possible.

He also has to know the insane protection he received in 2016 was a unicorn he’ll never see again. Watch clips of the OL from 2016. It’s unbelievable.

Elliott’s in the same boat, BTW. Lot to prove.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

:tippytoe

lostxn

DCC 4Life
It's really not that simple. Look at Dak's stats throwing to receivers not named Dez Bryant. They are better. Williams caught 70% of the passes thrown to him. Does Williams have better hands? No, hell no. He simply gets separation and runs pretty good routes.

There is a reason Dez hasn't been signed yet. He freelances his routes and that's difficult for QBs to handle. It wasn't for Romo because 1) Romo worked with Dez throughout his maturation process in the NFL and knew what we could or could not do, 2) Romo is a more accurate QB and 3) Romo is more of a gambler and will throw balls to Dez that Dak wouldn't risk. The non-catch against Green Bay was a crazy throw. Bryant was blanketed. Never should have been thrown (Beasley was wide open). But Romo trusted Dez and let it fly. Dak would have thrown it to Beasley and made the FD. Romo and Dak are different players with different skillsets. Romo also improved immensely over the course of his career. Romo's body gave up so we had to move on. Comparing Romo and Dak is a waste of time because Romo ain't coming back.

It's Dak's team and it should be. He had arguably the greatest rookie season of any QB ever. He deserves for the team to be tailored to him and that includes personnel. Dak and Dez have no chemistry and Dez is an aging player in decline. Time to move on. The teams that are perennial winners do this. Look at what happened to this team in the late 90s to early 00s as a result of trying to hold onto our glory day players. We sucked, hard.

Genghis Khan

3 1000 yard seasons in today's NFL for Dez Bryant is not all-time production. He was elite for those three years, but without sustained personal or team success I think it's a stretch to call him a cowboys all-timer.

If you want to say he was hindered by things not in his control, I'm right there with you. But based on production alone, it just wasn't there long enough.

You also severely underrate Pearson.

Genghis Khan

:tippytoe
There should be absolutely no doubt, but the fact that Dak has been holding the offense back is an uncomfortable truth for some.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Irvin: Dez Bryant was fighting people trying to aid him
By Nick Shook
Around The NFL Writer
Published: April 16, 2018 at 06:38 p.m

Dez Bryant hasn't been the player he was when he signed a lucrative contract with the Dallas Cowboys in 2015. As a result, he's no longer a Cowboy.

One of the greatest Cowboys to ever play the position shed some light on it during an appearance on NFL Up To The Minute on Monday, referrring to Bryant's comments about how he felt some people inside the locker room wanted him gone.

"Honestly, Dez is a fighter and what happens is when he gets in these situations he does what he knows how to do. He fights," Michael Irvin said Monday. "And if you're not careful with how you speak to him and how you speak with him, he ends up fighting everybody and anybody and even fighting some of the people that are trying to help him. And I think that was the situation in Dallas.

"It got a little bad off the football field, then fighting to get back where he balls, where he wants to be and where he belongs and I think he was fighting even the people that were trying to help him."

Bryant has long been known as a passionate and outspoken player, a competitor who lets his desire to win be known. We're not out to drag an outcast under the guise of trying to uncover why a team released him, but according to Irvin, that seemed to bubble over into producing negative results recently. Combined with a large salary-cap number for a player who wasn't producing 1,200-yard, 10-touchdown seasons anymore, Dallas decided to cut him loose.

"To some degree, I guess that's how you can put it," Irvin said when asked if Dallas simply grew tired of Bryant's fighting. "They just said at this point we'll just move on because the fighting is not directed in the right places."

This will undoubtedly be considered by any team that weighs adding Bryant, but this was somewhat known for a while. Hearing it from a Hall of Famer who's close to Bryant just makes it more real.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926754/article/irvin-dez-bryant-was-fighting-people-trying-to-aid-him

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
"If you're not careful with how you speak to him and how you speak with him, he ends up fighting everybody and anybody and even fighting some of the people that are trying to help him. And I think that was the situation in Dallas.
The very definition of "Thug Mentality".

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There should be absolutely no doubt, but the fact that Dak has been holding the offense back is an uncomfortable truth for some.
I posted this at one point. The catchable targets have been bad for Dak/Dez. Dak just isn’t the kind of QB for Dez and vice versa

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom