Jaylon Smith

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I'm telling you fags, once this guy gets adjusted to NFL speed he is going to be a beast.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh I'm still on board. Endurance was his biggest issue last year. It's why he did better once we stopped asking him to play all the defensive snaps. It's something to be expected out of a guy who hadn't played football in over a year.

I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a top level starting LBer this year. I at least think he will be a good starter. You have to know year two coming back from an injury like that is going to be way better than year one.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Oh I'm still on board. Endurance was his biggest issue last year. It's why he did better once we stopped asking him to play all the defensive snaps. It's something to be expected out of a guy who hadn't played football in over a year.

I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a top level starting LBer this year. I at least think he will be a good starter. You have to know year two coming back from an injury like that is going to be way better than year one.
This is his year. He will either make fools of those of us that have supported and had faith in him, or he kills it. I'm betting on the latter.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is his year. He will either make fools of those of us that have supported and had faith in him, or he kills it. I'm betting on the latter.
Yeah I mean he has already shown enough in my opinion to be a rotational LBer. He was very good as a part time guy the second half of last season. So I think the floor has at least moved up to third LBer. But my hope is that Jaylon and a draft pick this year can combine to be an elite combo for many years to come. Jaylon and Vander Esch for example would have excellent size and length but speed in coverage to boot. Would make passing the ball against us a real bitch.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Some of those plays were pretty run of the mill, that being said you can tell that most of them come later in the year as he was beginning to get more comfortable. I agree I still have high hopes but he really only occasionally flashed last year and was more bad than good.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Yeah I mean he has already shown enough in my opinion to be a rotational LBer. He was very good as a part time guy the second half of last season. So I think the floor has at least moved up to third LBer. But my hope is that Jaylon and a draft pick this year can combine to be an elite combo for many years to come. Jaylon and Vander Esch for example would have excellent size and length but speed in coverage to boot. Would make passing the ball against us a real bitch.

I wonder if in today's NFL, between free agency, salary caps, and injuries, whether there's any such thing as "many years to come." Linebackers especially seem to have a short shelf life.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm not sure what he is, but if you watch Jaylon in college, and you watch him now, he is gimpy or not as smooth. Obviously I know its because of the knee, but he just seems to have trouble getting to full speed...its like he is dragging the one foot along.

I think thats his biggest issue, and unless the nerve regenerates 100% I don't think he is ever the player he was in college.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
:lol

Play 8 was a tackle for a 5 yard gain.

Play 7 was a tackle for a 7 yard gain.

Play 6 he just stood there

Play 5 had potential

Play 3-4 meh

Play 10,9,2,1 is what I expect from him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure what he is, but if you watch Jaylon in college, and you watch him now, he is gimpy or not as smooth. Obviously I know its because of the knee, but he just seems to have trouble getting to full speed...its like he is dragging the one foot along.

I think thats his biggest issue, and unless the nerve regenerates 100% I don't think he is ever the player he was in college.
Yeah I don't see it. Even in play 9 you see him running down a RB sideline to sideline with no speed issues and that was the Chargers game. I think you're looking for a hitch in his run and seeing it because you think it's there.

Winstar

Brand New Member
I thought the first half of the season he sucked. The second half he was a stud. I agree and expect him to blow the doors off this season.

Winstar

Brand New Member
I thought the first half of the season he sucked. The second half he was a stud. I agree and expect him to blow the doors off this season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. I think he was getting wore down playing nearly 100% of our defensive snaps early in the season. A guy coming back from a serious injury was never meant to be playing that heavily. By the end of the year we were using him as more of a third LBer and it was perfect. I mean he played every defensive snap against the Rams. Not exactly ideal that early in the recovery process.

In the second half though he played over 70% of the snaps against the Redskins and held up really well.

midswat

... soon

Top Bottom