DC.com - Staff Writers Make An Early Attempt At A 7-Round Mock Draft

Carp

DCC 4Life
Vander Esch looks like the human form of date rape.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
2-Cent Mock: Writers Go WR-Heavy With Updated 7-Round Mock Draft

Friday, April 13, 2018 5:04 PM CDT

FRISCO, Texas – The NFL Draft is less than two weeks away as the Cowboys continue their draft meetings and finalize their preparation for the April 26-28 event here at AT&T Stadium.

The writers of DallasCowboys.com have completed their second of three personalized mock drafts for all seven Cowboys picks, including No. 19 overall.

Below are the predictions and analysis from Bryan Broaddus, David Helman, Rob Phillips and Nick Eatman:

RD (PK)DAVIDNICKBRYANROB
1 (19) D.J. Moore
WR, Maryland Read
Courtland Sutton
WR, SMU
Calvin Ridley
WR, Alabama
Rashaan Evans
LB, Alabama
2 (18)Josey Jewel
LB, Iowa
Malik Jefferson
LB, Texas

Josey Jewel
LB, Iowa Read
Michael Gallup
WR, Colorado St. Read
3 (17)Terrell Edmunds
S, Virginia Tech Read
Nyheim Hines
RB, NC State Read
Tarvarius Moore
S, So. Miss Read
Braden Smith
G, Auburn Read
4 (16)Ito Smith
RB, Southern Miss Read
D.J. Reed
CB, Kansas State Read
Mike White QB
Western Kentucky
Nyheim Hines
​RB, NC State
4 (37)Scott Quessenberry
OL, UCLA Read
Ian Thomas
TE, Indiana Read
Cole Madison
G, Wash. State Read
Rashaan Gaulden
S, Tennessee
5 (34)Micah Kiser
LB, Virginia Read
Joseph Noteboom
OT, TCU Read
Breeland Speaks
DT, Mississippi Read
Tyler Conklin
TE, Cent. Mich. Read
6 (19) Poona Ford
DT, Texas
Trayvon Henderson
S, Hawaii
Ito Smith
RB, So. Miss
Eddy Wilson
DT, Purdue
6 (36)Arrion Springs
CB, Oregon
Tejan Koromo
C/G, BYU Read
Kenny Young
LB, UCLA
Riley Ferguson
QB, Memphis
6 (34) Logan Woodside
QB, Toledo
P.J. Hall
DT, Sam Houston St. Read
Tejan Koroma
C/G, BYU Read
Tre’ Williams
LB, Auburn
7 (18)Marcus Baugh
TE, Ohio State Read
Matt Linehan
QB, Idaho Read
Justin Lawler
DE, SMU Read
Christian DiLauro
T, Illinois

David's 2-Cent Draft:

RD (PK)PLAYERPOSITIONSCHOOL
1 (19)D.J. MooreWRAlabama
2 (18)Josey JewelLBIowa
3 (17)Terrell Edmunds SSVirginia Tech
4 (16)Ito SmithRBSouthern Mississippi
4 (37)Scott QuessenberryOLUCLA
5 (34)Micah KiserLBVirginia
6 (19) Poona FordDTTexas
6 (36)Arrion SpringsCBOregon
6 (34) Logan WoodsideQBToledo
7 (18)Marcus BaughTEOhio State

David's Analysis:

If I had to bet on it, I still think a linebacker is going to be the 19th overall pick. But with two weeks until the draft, I wanted to take a look at what an offensive draft would look like. One way or another, the Cowboys need to address the future of their receiver corps, and D.J. Moore would give them a physical and versatile playmaker. Linebacker is still a huge need, and I think Jewell is a readymade contributor at middle linebacker. From there, I’m strictly filling needs. Edmunds would fill out the safety depth chart and could potentially compete for playing time. The Cowboys need a third running back who can fill the third down role, and Smith can do that. Quessenberry can provide depth to the interior offensive line, while Kiser and Ford can do the same for their respective units. Like I said last time, I expect the Cowboys to pick up a developmental quarterback, and drafting Woodside would prevent them from getting into a free agency bidding war.

Nick's 2-Cent Draft:

1 (19)Courtland SuttonWRSMU
2 (18)Malik JeffersonLBTexas
3 (17)Nyheim HinesRBNC State
4 (16)D.J. ReedCBKansas State
4 (37)Ian ThomasTEIndiana
5 (34)Joseph NoteboomTTCU
6 (19)Trayvon HendersonSHawaii
6 (36)Tejan KoromoBYUBYU
6 (34)P.J. HallDTSam Houston State
7 (18)Matt LinehanQBIdaho

Nick's Analysis:

After having Payne in the last mock, I’ll switch to Sutton because I think he’s probably similar in what Dez Bryant brought to the team. Sutton has the big frame and catch ability in the red zone. He’s not as explosive, to me, but he can still get this team over the hump. I’ll stick with Jefferson, Hines and Thomas, although I moved the first two up a round. Hines is so dynamic, as his Thomas at his position. This might be a little more of an offensive draft than the Cowboys are willing to go. Don’t be surprised to see Linehan on this team, either drafted or as a free agent. He should be able to know his dad’s offense rather quickly.

Bryan's 2-Cent Draft:

1 (19)Calvin RidleyWRAlabama
2 (18)Josey JewelLBIowa
3 (17)Tarvarius MooreSSouthern Mississippi
4 (16)Mike WhiteQBWashington State
4 (37)Cole Madison GWest Virginia
5 (34)Breeland SpeaksDTMississippi
6 (19)Ito SmithRBSouthern Mississippi
6 (36)Kenny YoungLBUCLA
6 (34Tejan KoromaC/GBYU
7 (18)Justin LawlerDESMU

Bryan's Analysis:

Even with all the Dez Bryant news, the front office still visited both Calvin Ridley, DJ Moore and James Washington as part of their 30 Visits. They have also worked out Courtland Sutton and DJ Chark. Plus they’ve signed Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson. There is clearly something up here. If the Cowboys want Ridley they will have to worry about the Ravens and Seahawks ahead of them. Ravens taking the player or Seahawks trading out of the pick. I love Jewel as a player. He’s a tackling machine as a MIKE. His playing speed is better than timed so this is a gamble on my part. They might not like him as much as I do. Taravius Moore is a true free safety that plays with outstanding range. They took a gamble on a quarterback three years ago in the 4th round - - Mike White should be talked about more. Cole Madison played tackle at Washington State but looks to be a better fit inside. Like how he plays on his feet. Breeland Speaks tape in 2016 was better than 2017. When he keeps his pad level down he can be hard to block. Ito Smith is a better Lance Dunbar but will need to improve his pass blocking. Kenny Young is a physical linebacker that runs well. Tejan Koromo is short but powerful. Justin Lawler is a local kid that has some pass rush ability off the edge.
Rob's 2-Cent Draft:

1 (19)Rashaan EvansLBAlabama
2 (18)Michael GallupWRColorado St.
3 (17)Braden SmithGAuburn
4 (16)Nyheim HinesRBNC State
4 (37)Rashaan GauldenSTennessee
5 (34)Tyler ConklinTECentral Michigan
6 (19)Eddy WilsonDTPurdue
6 (36)Riley FergusonQBMemphis
6 (34)Tre’ WilliamsLBAuburn
7 (18)Christian DiLauroTIllinois

Rob's Analysis:

The Cowboys still need linebacker depth, even with the Joe Thomas signing and Jaylon Smith’s continued progression. I went with Vander Esch in my first mock, but who knows, maybe this is finally the year the Cowboys take a high pick on a Bama star. Evans is a big-time talent with range to run and make plays in a 4-3 scheme like Dallas’ system. The Cowboys have taken a closer look at some of the top receivers in this class, and Gallup has a nice combination of frame and speed for the next level. The Cowboys covered themselves at guard by signing Marcus Martin and re-signing Joe Looney, and they could always move La’el Collins back inside. But for a potential long-term solution, Smith is one of the better guard prospects in the draft who might have some tackle flexibility, too. Hines and Conklin would add more options for Dak Prescott in the passing game, and Gaulden is a versatile safety/corner prospect who played against top college competition. At the combine, Jerry Jones said the Cowboys would prefer to find another young backup quarterback over bringing in a veteran, and although they like Cooper Rush as Prescott’s primary reserve, maybe they take a flier in later rounds on someone like Ferguson, who has a big arm and put up big numbers at Memphis.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If we take Sutton in the first I'm throwing shit and getting kicked out of the draft

edit: same with Evans

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Unless we trade down I agree. Maybe even then.
Unless it's a trade down into the mid second I will make a scene, that's what Goodell gets for letting me win tickets to day 1

DLK150

DCC 4Life
If we take Sutton in the first I'm throwing shit and getting kicked out of the draft

edit: same with Evans
I'm not big on any WRs in the first this year, this team needs bodies on defense. Nobody on defense I'm thrilled with at Dallas' position in the first either, I'd rather trade down and acquire some more picks.

Top Bottom