DC.com - Staff Writers Make An Early Attempt At A 7-Round Mock Draft

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Staff Writers Make An Early Attempt At A 7-Round Mock Draft[/h] Friday, March 30, 2018 4:17 PM CDT

By DallasCowboys.com Report

FRISCO, Texas – It’s beginning to feel like draft season.

After what feels like an eternity, the 2018 NFL Draft – which will be held at AT&T Stadium – is just over a month away. The NFL Combine is over, pro days have begun and the Cowboys will soon begin hosting their pre-draft visitors.

The real process of preparing for the draft is in full swing.

With that thought in mind, the DallasCowboys.com staff decided to take an early crack at the Cowboys’ 2018 draft class. They have 10 picks to make, which will give them plenty of opportunity to add to the roster.

For the purposes of this exercise, there won’t be any trades – though it’s totally plausible to think the Cowboys will move around in this year’s draft. For now, this is simply about finding 10 players that make sense for their needs.

RD (PK)DAVIDNICKBRYANROB
1 (19)LB Rashaan Evans
Alabama Read
DT Da’Ron Payne
Alabama
LB Leighton Vander Esch
Boise State
LB Leighton Vander Esch
Boise State
2 (18)WR Anthony Miller
Memphis
WR James Washington
Oklahoma State
WR Anthony Miller
Memphis
G Braden Smith
Auburn
3 (17)S Marcus Allen
Penn State
LB Malik Jefferson
Texas
RB Nyheim Hines
NC State Read
TE Ian Thomas
Indiana
4 (16)DT B.J. Hill
NC State
RB Nyheim Hines
NC State
DT Folorunso Fatukaski
Connecticut
RB Nyheim Hines
NC State
4 (37)TE Durham Smythe
Notre Dame
TE Ian Thomas
Indiana
S Kyzir White
West Virginia
WR Cedric Wilson
Boise State
5 (34)RB Darrel Williams
LSU
QB Luke Falk
Washington State
QB Brandon Silvers
Troy
S Jordan Whitehead
Pittsburgh
5 (36)DE Tyquan Lewis
Ohio State
S Trayvon Henderson
Hawaii
CB Holton Hill
Texas
DT Eddy Wilson
Purdue
6 (19)G Taylor Hearn
Clemson
C Tejan Koromo
BYU
LB Jack Cichy
Wisconsin
QB Riley Ferguson
Memphis
6 (34)QB Chase Litton
Marshall
DT P.J. Hall
Sam Houston State
T Timon Parris
Stony Brook
LB Tre’ Williams
Auburn
7 (18)T Nick Gates
Nebraska
DE Tyquan Lewis
Ohio State
C Tejan Koroma
BYU
T Christian DiLauro
Illinois

[h=2]David's 2-Cent Draft:[/h]
RD (PK)POSPLAYERSCHOOL
1 (19)LBRashaan EvansAlabama
2 (18)WRAnthony MillerMemphis
3 (17)SMarcus AllenPenn State
4 (16)DTB.J. HillNC State
4 (37)TEDurham SmytheNotre Dame
5 (34)RBDarrel WilliamsLSU
5 (36)DETyquan LewisOhio State
6 (19)GTaylor HearnClemson
6 (34)QBChase LittonMarshall
7 (18)TNick GatesNebraska

[h=2]David's Analysis:[/h]I have a couple big thoughts here. First is that I think the Cowboys’ starting left guard is already on the roster – whether that’s Marcus Martin or someone else. That will limit their need to pick one highly in this draft. Second, I think they’re likely going to get wiped out of their top preferences at pick No. 19. If that happens, Evans is a pretty nice consolation prize – a big, physical linebacker who can provide fantastic depth as well as a potential third starter. I feel very confident the Cowboys will draft a wide receiver in the first three rounds, and Miller is an unheralded but polished talent who could step in and contribute right away. Allen gives the Cowboys another talented, young safety to team with the duo of Xavier Woods and Kavon Frazier. Let them fight it out for the job next to Jeff Heath. B.J. Hill, Durham Smythe and Darrel Williams obviously aren’t going to start on this team, but they would provide some fantastic depth at key positions. With my other four picks, I’m taking shots in the dark at big school talents with interesting traits. I do think, somehow, some way, the Cowboys will draft a quarterback on Day 3 to work with Dak Prescott and Cooper Rush.

[h=2]Nick's 2-Cent Draft:[/h]
RD (PK)POSPLAYERSCHOOL
1 (19)DTDa’Ron PayneAlabama
2 (18)WRJames WashingtonOklahoma State
3 (17)LBMalik JeffersonTexas
4 (16)RBNyheim HinesNC State
4 (37)TEIan ThomasIndiana
5 (34)QBLuke FalkWashington State
5 (36)STrayvon HendersonHawaii
6 (19)CTejan KoromoBYU
6 (34)DTP.J. HallSam Houston State
7 (18)DETyquan LewisOhio State

[h=2]Nick's Analysis:[/h]While I understand that Payne’s two best games of his career occurred in the two playoff games back in January, that doesn’t really scare me away. He’s a young player that had to fight for time and he shined the brightest on the biggest stage. His athletic ability for that position can make a difference. Washington can stretch the defense and that’s something this team has needed for a while. Jefferson might not last that long but the Cowboys could use a dynamic linebacker who can be physical. My favorite player on this list is Hines, who is a track guy who plays running back. They need more game-changers on offense and Thomas could also be in that category. The other picks are just really filling out holes at other positions. I’ll be shocked if this team doesn’t make a trade or three during the weekend.

[h=2]Bryan's 2-Cent Draft:[/h]
RD (PK)POSPLAYERSCHOOL
1 (19)LBLeighton Vander EschBoise State
2 (18)WRAnthony MillerMemphis
3 (17)RBNyheim HinesNC State
4 (16)DTFolorunso FatukaskiConnecticut
4 (37)S Kyzir WhiteWest Virginia
5 (34)QBBrandon SilversTroy
5 (36)CBHolton HillTexas
6 (19)LBJack CichyWisconsin
6 (34TTimon ParrisStony Brook
7 (18)CTejan KoromaBYU

[h=2]Bryan's Analysis:[/h]You never know which direction the draft will go until it actually starts. Where the Cowboys currently sit, they’re truly at the mercy of the board. With 10 selections in this draft, there will be a great opportunity to move around and grab some key players, so hopefully they will take advantage of that. For the Mock’s sake, I will make all 10 selections. Things are lining up for them to draft Leighton Vander Esch in the first. They’re clearly doing their due diligence on him. Film, interviews and workouts - - it’s all staring you in the face. Anthony Miller is capable of making plays at all levels and would be a nice fit. Nyheim Hines would be a different type of back to what you have with Ezekiel Elliott and Rod Smith. Folorunso Fatukaski is an underrated defensive tackle that’s outstanding at the point of attack. Kyzir White’s reactions and tackling ability make him a candidate for free safety. Brandon Silvers knows how to throw receivers open with his arm talent. Holton Hill has had his share of off the field problems but the talent is too good to pass at this point. If he didn’t have a medical history, Jack Cichy would be considered much higher. Film is outstanding. Timon Parris is a developmental project but I am betting on his traits for later upside. I really do like Tejan Koroma’s toughness and the way he plays with leverage, but his lack of height (6-0) could be an issue.

[h=2]Rob's 2-Cent Draft:[/h]
RD (PK)POSPLAYERSCHOOL
1 (19)LBLeighton Vander EschBoise State
2 (18)GBraden SmithAuburn
3 (17)TEIan ThomasIndiana
4 (16)RBNyheim HinesNC State
4 (37)WRCedric WilsonBoise State
5 (34)SJordan WhiteheadPittsburgh
5 (36)DTEddy WilsonPurdue
6 (19)QBRiley FergusonMemphis
6 (34)LBTre’ WilliamsAuburn
7 (18)TChristian DiLauroIllinois

[h=2]Rob's Analysis:[/h]The Cowboys still need linebacker depth, even with the Joe Thomas signing and Jaylon Smith’s continued progress. Vander Esch doesn’t have a ton of time on task as a starter, but he’s a big-time athlete who could help at Anthony Hitchens’ vacated MIKE linebacker spot. The Cowboys covered themselves at guard by signing Marcus Martin and re-signing Joe Looney, and they could always move La’el Collins back inside. But for a potential long-term solution, Smith is one of the better guard prospects in the draft. Hines and Wilson would add more options for Dak Prescott in the passing game, Whitehead is a tough-hitting safety who can cover. Jerry Jones said at the Combine that the Cowboys would prefer to find another young backup quarterback over bringing in a veteran, and although they like Cooper Rush as Prescott’s primary reserve, maybe they take a flier in later rounds on someone like Ferguson, who has a big arm and put up big numbers at Memphis.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Everybody has kind of forgotten about Anthony Miller because he wasn't able to participate at the Senior Bowl/Combine due to an injury but I still say that he's one of my top choices in the 2nd round. Dude is tough as nails, really good route runner and is excellent in contested situations. He doesn't have ideal long speed/explosiveness but he's going to be a very good number 2 in the league for a long time.

PJ Hall is an under the radar name I like, really quick and explosive, fits the mold of what Marinelli looks for in a developmental 3-T, I think he was a DE up until this year when he went up from about 275 to 285 or so. I know he played at Bumfuck St. but his stats are ridiculous, something like 80+ TFL, 40+ sacks and 14 blocked kicks. He also ran in the 4.7's at his Pro Day I believe.

He's a small school guy but it's not like he played in the NAIA or some shit, Sam Houston St. is pretty much on par with teams like North Dakota St., South Dakota St. (Goedert), Northern Iowa (David Johnson), and so forth.

Put all that together and I'm definitely rolling the dice on a guy like that with a late pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would be livid over any of these mocks. All absolutely terrible.

The only decent one starts with Payne who is terrible in every way possible. Other than him though it's solid.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I trade 1 and 3 for Derwin James all day in any of these mocks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I trade 1 and 3 for Derwin James all day in any of these mocks.
Vander Esch and Thomas is the only one I might not. But I hate these mocks. They are garbage.

I've come a long way on Vander Esch. Once upon a time I really didn't like him at all. But then I started watching his games. Totally changed my opinion of him.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Either Rob thinks the Cowboys are fine at receiver (laughable) or he has nothing but contempt for the receivers in this draft.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I would be livid over any of these mocks. All absolutely terrible.

The only decent one starts with Payne who is terrible in every way possible. Other than him though it's solid.

Yeah, I'd be cool with that one if we could substitute Hernandez or Vea (yeah, I know).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I'd be cool with that one if we could substitute Hernandez or Vea (yeah, I know).
Yep Hernandez would fix that perfectly. I don't think Vea makes it to us but if he did that would be a rock star draft. Of course I'm not sure some of the guys he has us taking will actually fall to those spots.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
No one likes the big rich kid?

Guy is 6'4 almost 260 and from what I've read, still filling out his frame.

Ran a 4.65 with ridiculous agility drill numbers.

Read that he was like a missile to the football last year as well.

And he's white for you conservatives and will probably never take a knee during your precious anthem.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Just looked up BJ Hill's stats, very impressive. Better than Vea and much better than Payne. Looks like the guy was very productive.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just looked up BJ Hill's stats, very impressive. Better than Vea and much better than Payne. Looks like the guy was very productive.
Yep and he moves around really well for such a big man. He ran under a 5 forty which is impressive for a 315 pound dude.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

And he's white for you conservatives and will probably never take a knee during your precious anthem.
He has really lose hips and great change of direction skills. Beyond just his forty he is an excellent athlete. It's just hard because most fans didn't know him as a first rounder all year long. Fans are always slow to get on board with a guy who rises this late.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Yep and he moves around really well for such a big man. He ran under a 5 forty which is impressive for a 315 pound dude.
And the more I read, it looks like the DT class is deeper than I thought. Apparently there's some real talent to be picked up in the 3rd round, or possibly later.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
My draft, given these players they all picked:

1. DT Da'Ron Payne, Alabama
2. WR Anthony Miller, Memphis
3. LB Malik Jackson, Texas
4. RB Nyheim Hines, North Carolina State
4. S Kyzir White, West Virginia
5. QB Luke Falk, Washington State
5. DE Tyquan Lewis, Ohio State
6. LB Jack Cichy, Wisconsin
6. DT P.J. Hall, Sam Houston State
7. T Nick Gates, Nebraska

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Hill is even better if you watch him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My draft, given these players they all picked:

1. DT Da'Ron Payne, Alabama
2. WR Anthony Miller, Memphis
3. LB Malik Jackson, Texas
4. RB Nyheim Hines, North Carolina State
4. S Kyzir White, West Virginia
5. QB Luke Falk, Washington State
5. DE Tyquan Lewis, Ohio State
6. LB Jack Cichy, Wisconsin
7. T Nick Gates, Nebraska
Guh

Mine would look something like this...

1. LB Vander Esch Boise State
2. WR James Washington Oklahoma State
3. S Marcus Allen Penn State
4. RB Nyheim Hines NC State
4. TE Ian Thomas Indiana
5. QB Luke Falk Washington State
5. DE Tyquan Lewis Ohio State
6. LB Jack Cichy Wisconsin
7. C Tejan Koromo BYU

And yes I realize I could have taken Tyquan Lewis in the seventh according to one guy but that just seemed like too far of a stretch to me so I didn't do it. I just don't think he will last that long to the seventh round. Anyway, that's my ideal draft while taking one player from each of those guys drafts at every pick. Literally addresses everything if you ask me. You get the safety, the LBer depth, the deep threat WR, big play RB, complete stud TE, and a legit QB prospect. You also round out the D-line with a couple of guys who I think could really help out.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Stop bringing shit like this into football threads. Consider this a warning.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And the more I read, it looks like the DT class is deeper than I thought. Apparently there's some real talent to be picked up in the 3rd round, or possibly later.
It is an extremely deep DT class. All the way to the 7th round kind of deep. I would even go so far as to compare it to how deep the safety class was in last year's draft.

Top Bottom