Cowboys DE Randy Gregory reportedly on track for an attempted reinstatement

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Cowboys DE Randy Gregory reportedly on track for an attempted reinstatement
Believe it or not, Randy Gregory could return.
By Dave Halprin Mar 28, 2018, 5:00pm CDT

Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports
Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, but Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory is reportedly close to applying for reinstatement. Yes, Gregory is still a Cowboy and yes, it’s possible he could return to the field.

Multiple sources say Randy Gregory has been faithfully laying the groundwork for his return to the NFL and has reached the stage where his representatives are in the process of doing the work necessary to apply for reinstatement.

Gregory was scooped up by the Cowboys in the second round of the 2015 draft after he failed a drug test at the combine. We all know the story of how the Cowboys took a chance on him with the 60th pick after he tumbled out of the first round. It was a gamble, and one that has decidedly not paid off to this point.

There’s no denying Gregory has talent, but he just can’t stop running afoul of the NFL drug rules. He missed all of 2017 and the Cowboys have repeatedly stated they aren’t counting on him for 2018. If he was able to return, he would provide the Cowboys a speed rusher at end that they covet but have been unable to acquire. It would certainly be a boost to the defensive line if he could play.

But nothing is assured as of yet.

There are still steps to take and paperwork to file before Gregory is close to going before commissioner Roger Goodell to petition for his reinstatement. But sources say he is doing well, adhering to his program and the feeling around him is said to be positive.

We’ll file this one under - We’ll believe it when we see it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:jerk

p1_

DCC 4Life
We’ll file this one under - We’ll believe it when we see it.
Even if granted leniency by Goodell, how long would he pee clean if he doesn't skip the test ?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if granted leniency by Goodell, how long would he pee clean if he doesn't skip the test ?
Not sure why he needs leniency, his suspension has been served. But I get it, the dictator still holds that stuff over a guys head.

But yeah not sure how long it lasts. I will say though, I'm sure he has been tested a lot over the past year. So props to Gregory for staying clean and sober that long. I hope he has his mental health issues under control because I think that will allow him to stay away from weed. Like many with mental health issues I think he used weed to treat his.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Not sure why he needs leniency, his suspension has been served. But I get it, the dictator still holds that stuff over a guys head.

But yeah not sure how long it lasts. I will say though, I'm sure he has been tested a lot over the past year. So props to Gregory for staying clean and sober that long. I hope he has his mental health issues under control because I think that will allow him to stay away from weed. Like many with mental health issues I think he used weed to treat his.
definitely self medicating. I wish the league weren't forced to be so stringent over pot, so many players self medicating for physical pain suffered from an abusive sport. But if Gregory has done well thus far, perhaps he can make a go of it. We sure could use his skills.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
definitely self medicating. I wish the league weren't forced to be so stringent over pot, so many players self medicating for physical pain suffered from an abusive sport. But if Gregory has done well thus far, perhaps he can make a go of it. We sure could use his skills.
Well and it's fairly common for those with bipolar disorder to use pot to self medicate. The leagues stance is on weed is more harmful than good.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Jones: Gregory Preparing To Apply For Reinstatement; “Circuitous Route” Ahead
Thursday, March 29, 2018 1:12 PM CDT

By Rob Phillips
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

@robphillips3
FRISCO, Texas – Jerry Jones said the Cowboys are aware that suspended defensive end Randy Gregory is preparing to apply for reinstatement to the NFL and hope he’ll be permitted to return to the league and team in 2018.

Jones said Gregory has a “pretty circuitous route” to reinstatement, meaning there are plenty of steps for the 25-year-old to take in order to return to football.

“I’m not confident, but I do see where his heart is,” Jones said Thursday at the grand opening of the entertainment district at The Star in Frisco.

In January 2017, the NFL suspended Gregory at least one year for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. Gregory had just returned from a 14-game suspension to start the 2016 season.

The Cowboys continue not to have contact with Gregory, per the terms of his league suspension. Jones declined to elaborate on his understanding of the reinstatement process but said he believes this is a medical issue that “has a lot of discretionary things to determine.”

Throughout this process, the Cowboys have not chosen to part ways with their 2015 second-round pick.

“He’s really a good person, one. That goes a long way,” Jones said. “He’s smart – that’s redeeming. In other words, is there a chance that he could get this figured out and be accountable and responsible? There is. There’s one other little thing: He’s a hell of a football player.”

Since joining the Cowboys in 2015, Gregory has appeared in 12 career games and recorded 20 tackles and a sack.

“He’s got a lot to play for,” Jones said. “He’s got a new baby. He’s got a lot going for him. He’s very astute about knowing that. He’s just got to hopefully do what every one us had to do, and that’s do better when you’re 24 and 25 than you did when you were 20.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
When it’s to the point that Jerral Jones says he’s not confident, it’s long past time to moved on.

vince

Not So New Member
Perfect timing for this super bowl run we're about to make.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
When it’s to the point that Jerral Jones says he’s not confident, it’s long past time to moved on.
Why bother moving on? What would we have gained cutting him loose? At least right now to an extent he has motivation to get his life in order. He's not getting paid or counting against the cap.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Why bother moving on? What would we have gained cutting him loose? At least right now to an extent he has motivation to get his life in order. He's not getting paid or counting against the cap.
The big issue will be the roster spot. To keep him, we'll have to cut someone else who has a better chance of being on the roster for the whole year and not completely out of the league. That being said, pass rushers are valuable. So yeah, hoping for the best. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gooddell punish Jerry by not allowing the player back in the league.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The big issue will be the roster spot. To keep him, we'll have to cut someone else who has a better chance of being on the roster for the whole year and not completely out of the league. That being said, pass rushers are valuable. So yeah, hoping for the best. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gooddell punish Jerry by not allowing the player back in the league.
You churn those last couple roster spots throughout the season anyway. So he'll have a chance to prove himself. If he fucks up he'd be suspended anyway. And if he stays good and is in good shape he'll earn the spot.

But there was no reason to cut him a year ago for example. You might as well bring him into camp. There are all kinds of scrubs we bring into camp.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Move on in terms of anything resembling expectations or effort on the part of the team or fans.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't tease me yet again.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Well, great if he can contribute to the D but isn't this a contract year for him now?

Top Bottom