Cowboys DE Randy Gregory reportedly on track for an attempted reinstatement

deadrise

DCC 4Life
A player -- an employee -- could go home every night and drink three martinis or down half a case of beer and no one would really know. The next day his BAC would be fine.

If that same player -- employee -- went home and smoked a blunt or two, the THC would show up in his system. The employer would be within its rights to terminate him, yet the evening before he was no more impaired with the blunt than he was with the three martinis.

It's hypocrisy and cultural political correctness on the part of the NFL. The fan base is overwhelmingly white and Republican. Alcohol is okay, because that's what everyone did back when America was Great. But pot is evil, hippies and radicals smoke pot. It's when our society went to hell back in the '60s and '70s.

The fan base, not to mention the ownership, is overwhelmingly white and Republican. The players are overwhelmingly not.

If the NFL were to take pot off its list of banned substances there would be a cultural meltdown. It's okay for Dad and Uncle Ernie to go down to the VFW and fire down beers and get blind drunk. But pot? No, sir. Just one more sign of the cultural apocalypse. What affect would it have on the kids?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The rules are a joke. The bigger joke - players who know that they stand to rob themselves of millions yet they still smoke weed. They could always focus on their careers like successful people do while simultaneously fighting the stupid of the rules.

There are plenty of things that I don't like doing that I have to.

Another example: Players have to be in shape and at a certain weight. but but but, it isn't illegal!!! No fair!!! Too bad, that's life.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
And yet, your employer can’t fire you for it. Nor do they test you for alcohol consumption.
Yes they can. Also any accident gets an automatic drug test and we have random tests throughout the year.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yes they can. Also any accident gets an automatic drug test and we have random tests throughout the year.
Are you saying an "accident" on the job or off? Or both?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Are you saying an "accident" on the job or off? Or both?
For where I work its both. Other departments its just on the job.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The rules are a joke. The bigger joke - players who know that they stand to rob themselves of millions yet they still smoke weed. They could always focus on their careers like successful people do while simultaneously fighting the stupid of the rules.

There are plenty of things that I don't like doing that I have to.

Another example: Players have to be in shape and at a certain weight. but but but, it isn't illegal!!! No fair!!! Too bad, that's life.
they get paid to stay in shape, though.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And yet, your employer can’t fire you for it. Nor do they test you for alcohol consumption.
Almost anyone can be fired for just about anything unless they have a contract excluding the offense or they are working under a union agreement.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
A player -- an employee -- could go home every night and drink three martinis or down half a case of beer and no one would really know. The next day his BAC would be fine.

If that same player -- employee -- went home and smoked a blunt or two, the THC would show up in his system. The employer would be within its rights to terminate him, yet the evening before he was no more impaired with the blunt than he was with the three martinis.

It's hypocrisy and cultural political correctness on the part of the NFL. The fan base is overwhelmingly white and Republican. Alcohol is okay, because that's what everyone did back when America was Great. But pot is evil, hippies and radicals smoke pot. It's when our society went to hell back in the '60s and '70s.

The fan base, not to mention the ownership, is overwhelmingly white and Republican. The players are overwhelmingly not.

If the NFL were to take pot off its list of banned substances there would be a cultural meltdown. It's okay for Dad and Uncle Ernie to go down to the VFW and fire down beers and get blind drunk. But pot? No, sir. Just one more sign of the cultural apocalypse. What affect would it have on the kids?

An addendum to the above post:

No matter the political or cultural makeup of the fan base, they are the ones paying the bills. No matter the political or cultural makeup of the ownership, they are the ones who own the whole thing. So between the two of them they get to make the rules.

Irrespective of whether the rules are stuck in some kind of Archie Bunker time warp, they are -- nonetheless -- the rules. So a player who wants to play, plays according to their rules.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The rules are stupid, I agree.

If my employees don’t represent my brand the way I want I’ll fire them. That’s just the way the real world works.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
An addendum to the above post:

No matter the political or cultural makeup of the fan base, they are the ones paying the bills. No matter the political or cultural makeup of the ownership, they are the ones who own the whole thing. So between the two of them they get to make the rules.

Irrespective of whether the rules are stuck in some kind of Archie Bunker time warp, they are -- nonetheless -- the rules. So a player who wants to play, plays according to their rules.
I disagree. The fan base doesn't pay the bills nor has any input as to quality control. The consumer keeps an organization afloat and is given an offer to purchase or not but the employer actually negotiated the barriers that keep an organization going. At best the consumer is given the option to pay for services without any say so as to how good or bad the product will be.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
The other thing to keep in mind, hypocrisy notwithstanding, is that these are 20-somethings getting paid millions of dollars. So if you need to abstain from something for 4, 5, or 6 years in order to bank several million dollars, it's not that big a sacrifice. In fact, it's just common fuckin' sense.

But the NFL should be able to enumerate WHY pot is on their list of banned substances when it's legal on two states and soon will be in several others.

The league is behind the curve, but what else is new?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I disagree. The fan base doesn't pay the bills nor has any input as to quality control. The consumer keeps an organization afloat and is given an offer to purchase or not but the employer actually negotiated the barriers that keep an organization going. At best the consumer is given the option to pay for services without any say so as to how good or bad the product will be.
Jerry pays the bills of his players. I bet Jerry would love for Gregory to play right now while smoking pot.

But anyhow I digress. It's the CBA they are stuck in until everyone wises up.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
And none of this is to say that Randy Gregory is an innocent victim of misguided policies. If you know the rules going in and can't adhere to them then you deserve whatever happens.

The league bans performance enhancing drugs. Makes perfect sense. The league is tough on domestic violence. Their enforcement is uneven and haphazard but overall it makes sense.

So, NFL, just tell us why pot is on your list of banned substances when it's legal in two states? Rationalize it. Make a case.

They can't.

And especially tell us what you're going to do now that SCOTUS has opened the door to sports gambling in any state. Is that more of a threat than pot?

What happens next time a field goal attempt misses by inches and gamblers on one side of a point spread or the other lose big?

You think you got problems with pot?

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Jerry pays the bills of his players. I bet Jerry would love for Gregory to play right now while smoking pot.

But anyhow I digress. It's the CBA they are stuck in until everyone wises up.

Jerry doesn't pay the bills of his players without TV ratings and 90,000 in the seats. The fan base base pays the bills. If no one's watching, no one gets paid.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Not even close to being true. I've worked for quite a few different places that will fire you if you get a DUI. And places that will test you for alcohol consumption. Ever heard of D.O.T.? And there are others, too.

p1_

DCC 4Life
let me clarify. An employer doesn't typically deny you employment, suspend or alcohol test you because you got hammered, falling down drunk over the weekend. Tet positive for weed, and it's on.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
Not even close to being true. I've worked for quite a few different places that will fire you if you get a DUI. And places that will test you for alcohol consumption. Ever heard of D.O.T.? And there are others, too.
The difference is you can sleep off alcohol use and come to work sober. Weed is testable in your system for 30 days. Seems like, “don’t come to work drunk” is a little bit of a different expectation than “don't smoke weed within 30 days of coming to work.”

Top Bottom