Hill: Jerry Jones still capable of making splash, says draft is setting up for Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I agree. I don't think he makes it to our second round pick but man I'd love to see him in Dallas with that pick.
I had someone on another board that was saying he would be a late round pick. Umm, no.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Harrison is definitely not a late round pick. He should go somewhere in the 2nd, with the top of the 3rd being the absolute worst case scenario.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
An All Pro level player is worth four Taco Charltons.
You may want to stop assuming Taco is JAG. He was kind of coming on at the end of the season. Lawrence had zero sacks his first regular season and Taco had 3. So there is no saying where he goes from here. Lawrence was a second rounder by the way (pick 34 vs 28 for Taco). So you are wrong to assume there are no stars to be found exactly where we are picking. The key is to pick the right player for our scheme and personnel.

James will go no later than #12. To get to 10 or 11 it's gonna take our second rounder. So there question is, are we better with:

1) James
or
2) Ridley and Jewel
or
3) Van Der Esch and Christian Kirk

Obviously there are a ton of different scenarios but I like our chances to pull two contributors with those two picks.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
My fear is that because the draft is in Dallas, he'll be tempted to do something stupid or take someone with "sizzle" instead of a boring old linebacker or lineman.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You may want to stop assuming Taco is JAG. He was kind of coming on at the end of the season. Lawrence had zero sacks his first regular season and Taco had 3. So there is no saying where he goes from here. Lawrence was a second rounder by the way (pick 34 vs 28 for Taco). So you are wrong to assume there are no stars to be found exactly where we are picking. The key is to pick the right player for our scheme and personnel.

James will go no later than #12. To get to 10 or 11 it's gonna take our second rounder. So there question is, are we better with:

1) James
or
2) Ridley and Jewel
or
3) Van Der Esch and Christian Kirk

Obviously there are a ton of different scenarios but I like our chances to pull two contributors with those two picks.
He doesn't like WR's this year. So you're barking up the wrong tree. Try like Vander Esch and Rodney Harrison. Or Justin Reid and Harrison Phillips. Schmitty wants LBer, DL or Safety with those top 3 picks. So you might as well target those positions in this discussion.

By the way, I'm kind of coming around on Vander Esch, it makes me feel a little dirty but I see more Urlacher than I do Carpenter from him. I see some reason why maybe he is worth the 19th pick.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
He doesn't like WR's this year. So you're barking up the wrong tree. Try like Vander Esch and Rodney Harrison. Or Justin Reid and Harrison Phillips. Schmitty wants LBer, DL or Safety with those top 3 picks. So you might as well target those positions in this discussion.

By the way, I'm kind of coming around on Vander Esch, it makes me feel a little dirty but I see more Urlacher than I do Carpenter from him. I see some reason why maybe he is worth the 19th pick.
The Bobby Carpenter comparison is shitty. While they are about the same size and ethnicity, Carpenter's college production was nothing like Van Der Esch. Carpenter had 49 tackles in his final year at Ohio State (albeit he had 8 sacks). Vander Esch had 141 tackles, 4 sacks and 2 picks. So Vander doesn't look like Tarzan, plays like Jane. He plays like Tarzan.

I suspect he goes to the Steelers and becomes a star.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
The Bobby Carpenter comparison is shitty. While they are about the same size and ethnicity, Carpenter's college production was nothing like Van Der Esch. Carpenter had 49 tackles in his final year at Ohio State (albeit he had 8 sacks). Vander Esch had 141 tackles, 4 sacks and 2 picks. So Vander doesn't look like Tarzan, plays like Jane. He plays like Tarzan.

I suspect he goes to the Steelers and becomes a star.
From someone who watched most of those games. It was the AJ Hawk effect. They were so focused on him that he and Anthony Schlegel looked much better than they actually were.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
From someone who watched most of those games. It was the AJ Hawk effect. They were so focused on him that he and Anthony Schlegel looked much better than they actually were.
It's absolutely true. I remember watching him blitz and basically go untouched on a lot of those sacks. It wasn't a guy beating blocks to make a play. He was basically just making the easy play. I hate taking guys who are basically second fiddle at their position on a team. Same reason I wasn't big on Felix. He wasn't the best RB on that team. Give me the alpha dog. The best player on a teams defense or offense. That's what I want. The true star player. Especially in the first round.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I was actually for drafting Carpenter. Oops. In my defense, I'm not sure I was a board member back then. :unsure

Actually, truth be told it was quite a lesson. You have to see production in college. If they didn't do in college, they likely won't do it in the Pros. If you want to take a flier late (e.g. Gathers), fine, but not in the money rounds.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
My fear is that because the draft is in Dallas, he'll be tempted to do something stupid or take someone with "sizzle" instead of a boring old linebacker or lineman.
I was thinking about that today. It would be very "Jerry" to try and steal the show like this. With the football world all assembled at his house and the rest of us watching, he could easily take this opportunity to go full retard.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was actually for drafting Carpenter. Oops. In my defense, I'm not sure I was a board member back then. :unsure

Actually, truth be told it was quite a lesson. You have to see production in college. If they didn't do in college, they likely won't do it in the Pros. If you want to take a flier late (e.g. Gathers), fine, but not in the money rounds.
Yeah I feel like everyone learns from their mistakes on stuff like the draft. There's nothing wrong with liking a player who misses. Just as long as in hindsight you can see why it was a miss.

The problem with some idiots like Jerry is they seem to get blinded by the same stuff over and over. They don't view it as a mistake. They just view it as not a mistake but just the cost of doing business. Like Jerry views his home run swings as something that's just bound to have some misses. But in reality there is a reason for it.

Last edited:

fortsbest

DCC 4Life

Same here, I even bought a jersey. :picard

But in our defense, the head coach wanted him too and he was supposed to be able to judge talent better than us! :towel

Top Bottom