Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 NFL free agency: Cowboys expected to sign Patriots offensive tackle Cameron Fleming

New England loses another offensive lineman.

By Bernd Buchmasser @BerndBuchmasser Mar 24, 2018, 3:41pm EDT

Before the start of free agency, the New England Patriots had three of their top four offensive tackles from the previous season scheduled to hit the open market. The team lost starting left tackle Nate Solder to the New York Giants on a four-year, $62 million contract before bringing back backup LaAdrian Waddle two days ago. Now, the Patriots are about to lose yet another tackle.

Fleming entered the 2017 season as the Patriots’ number four option at the tackle position behind Nate Solder and Marcus Cannon; he ended it by starting the Super Bowl at the right tackle spot. In between, the former fourth round draft pick saw a season-ending injury to Cannon as well as an injury to his replacement LaAdrian Waddle. As a result, Fleming was elevated to a starting role in week 13 – and he never looked back.

Overall, the 25-year old appeared in 15 games for the Patriots last year and played roughly 40% of the team’s offensive snaps (along with a 15% of special teams snaps as well). All in all, considering where he started the year on the depth chart, Fleming did a good job to fill in for Waddle and by extension Cannon. And despite giving up the second-most sacks on the team, he popped up on another team's free agency radar.

Fleming originally joined the Patriots as a fourth-round draft pick in 2014 and despite serving mostly as a depth option over the next four seasons still appeared in 56 games – 22 of which starts. New England therefore loses an experienced swing tackle option that might have had a chance to earn a starting role with Solder leaving to join New York. At least until the draft, this spot now appears to be LaAdrian Waddle's to lose.

With Fleming about to leave the Patriots, New England will have another player counting in the compensatory draft picks formula.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
      It means we can draft Hernandez and make him our swing tackle or if we do a different direction we are still good with a depth pick later.
      A better way to look at it is we aren't forced to draft a guard now. That's makes me pretty happy. At this point I think the only positions we have a huge need for are LB and safety. Really you could argue safety isn't one either since we basically have the same folks as last year.
      Last edited by lostxn; 03-24-2018, 04:38 PM.
      I was on the draft LVE train. I was for trading for Amari before it happened.
      'nuff said

Comment

Originally posted by lostxn View Post
        A better way to look at it is we aren't forced to draft a guard now. That's makes me pretty happy. At this point I think the only positions we have a huge need for are LB and safety. Really you could argue safety isn't one either since we basically have the same folks as last year.
        Yeah I want a safety but if we strike out I'm ok making Woods out center fielder. I think he is perfect for it.

Comment

Yeah I want a safety but if we strike out I'm ok making Woods out center fielder. I think he is perfect for it.
          I am just not sure they trust him enough for that.

I have no basis for feeling this way, just a gut.

Comment

Originally posted by boozeman View Post
            I am just not sure they trust him enough for that.

I have no basis for feeling this way, just a gut.
            Not sure he played some last year. He is just excellent in zone coverage. But yeah for some reason they trust Heath.

Comment

This is my favorite signing. This one makes too much sense and he is fairly young to boot.

I was about to say the same thing. And what's my favorite thing about this signing? Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleton View Post
                Very good signing, now give me Vaccaro, Reid or Tre Boston and I'd say this has somehow been a damn good free agency period.
                RIP Angry Simp.

Comment

RIP Angry Simp.
                  Its a sad day.
                  #Fire Garrett

Comment

Short lived.
                    defense wins championships

Comment

RIP Angry Simp.
                      I think I like happy Simp better. We need some ying to all the yang on this board.

Comment

Don't worry guys, with these chuckleheads running things the rage is inevitably right around the corner.

Comment

Anyone have info on Tyron Smith's back? Been wondering if this could be a real issue going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Couchcoach View Post
                            Anyone have info on Tyron Smith's back? Been wondering if this could be a real issue going forward.
                            Oh, its an issue alright. Has been for at least 2 years now. I don't see it getting better either.

Comment

Originally posted by Couchcoach View Post
                              No info that isn't just a fluff piece. I remember reading something by the Cowboys stating that they don't believe the back is a long term issue. But honestly, it's what I'd expect out of the Cowboys even if his back was about to explode any minute. My guess is it's something we will just have to manage the rest of his career.

Comment

No info that isn't just a fluff piece. I remember reading something by the Cowboys stating that they don't believe the back is a long term issue. But honestly, it's what I'd expect out of the Cowboys even if his back was about to explode any minute. My guess is it's something we will just have to manage the rest of his career.
                                He's been taking practices off for at least 2 seasons in an effort to rest the back.

Comment

Working...
                                X