Allen Hurns signs with the Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
26 is right around when Dez started to "decline" due to age.
Dez has also played the game differently than Hurns. He took a lot of contact early in his career fighting for extra yards. I just think he has more wear than Hurns.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Dez has also played the game differently than Hurns. He took a lot of contact early in his career fighting for extra yards. I just think he has more wear than Hurns.
Except Hurns has been injured the past two years.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't envision him as a Dez replacement, but him plus a draft pick could replace Dez. We don't necessarily need a true #1. Just give me a solid reliably consistent receiver corps and I'm happy. Dak is much better when he spreads the ball around and this situation would facilitate that.
I hate hate hate going into a draft forcing yourself to draft a certain position.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I hate hate hate going into a draft forcing yourself to draft a certain position.
I dont think you can get away from that fully. Depending on degree of need every team needs to do that.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not saying dump Dez before the draft, but if we can grab a WR in one of the first 2-3 rounds, I think we can after the draft, depending on who we get.

Cotton

Staff member
In addition to Allen Hurns, the Cowboys will meet with free agent wide receiver Deonte Thompson, according to sources. Thompson had 38 catches for 555 yards and two touchdowns with the Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills in 2017. He had his most success with Buffalo, catching 27 passes for 430 yards in 11 games (seven starts). The Cowboys will have met with four receivers in free agency in Hurns, Thompson, Dontrelle Inman and Justin Hunter.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dak is much better when he spreads the ball around and this situation would facilitate that.
I think this is a simplification.

Dak went with the open option as a rookie, taking what the defense gave him.

But that was because he was inexperienced and it was the least risky approach.

I don't know that as he matures he'll remain "happy" settling for what the defense gives him.

That said, I'd like him to spread the ball around, but it needs to be to knock the defense off balance setting up for the plays the team really wants to run.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't envision him as a Dez replacement, but him plus a draft pick could replace Dez. We don't necessarily need a true #1. Just give me a solid reliably consistent receiver corps and I'm happy. Dak is much better when he spreads the ball around and this situation would facilitate that.
This is exactly what I think will happen. Hurns is just a veteran to fill out the roster while a rookie gets his feet firmly planted. Of course none of that will happen if we can't sign Hurns for a good number. I think the idea is to get Dez and his 16.5 mil a year off the books as soon as possible and cut that down to something reasonable.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Twill should be worried about Hurns, not Dez.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Let's see if Hurns can pass our physical first, but it sounds like he's going to be a quality addition and add some necessary competition.

We should still draft a WR.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm inclined to agree. It's too valuable a position.

The team should be fearlessly willing to churn any of our WR's, including Ryan Switzer or Dez Bryant if they can't hang with the competition.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dez, you paying attention? I hope so, bruh.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I told y'all to never doubt Jerry.

Cotton

Staff member
:towel

Cotton