Allen Hurns signs with the Cowboys

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is very good news, no WR's with opening day age over 30 on the roster.

Switzer - 23
Hurns - 26
Williams - 28
Beasley - 29
Thompson - 29
Bryant - 29

Max competition with everyone's job on the line... looking at you, Ryan.

We don't have to draft a WR early now though we still could.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Better off with three #2's that are all happy to see the ball when they do.
Agreed. New England has ridden this formula to how many Superbowls?

This approach makes the feeder pipeline simpler to engineer and insulates us from a single injury destroying your season.

That said, if you get a chance to grab another Randy Moss you most definitely take it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
One thing is clear. Someone's ass is outta here. 2 new bodies means change. Praise little baby Jeebus.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They need to be rid of Williams' contract though. He is far more useless
He averages like 4.25 mil per year and he catches 70% of the balls thrown his direction. I couldn't disagree more. If you want the chains to move in a running offense like ours your need to complete a high percentage of passes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if we cut Terrance Williams we get -2.5 mil in cap room (Currently counts 4.75 against the cap)

Cole Beasley we save 3.25 mil in cap room (currently counts 4.25 against the cap)

Dez Bryant we save 8.5 mil in cap room (currently counts 16.5 mil against the cap)

So you tell me which guy we should cut?

I'd say Beasley and Dez are the easy marks. Maybe Beasley makes more sense just because he is in the last year of his deal anyway. And we have Switzer and now Hurns who can fill the slot role. And hell who knows, maybe a rookie with some slot ability as well (DJ Moore).

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Not to go all DFDC but remember those 5 wide sets everyone loves so much?

Also, keep in mind we're supposed to be a heavy run team, yet we have basically 1 (maybe 2) viable running back and now 6 or 7 viable WRs. Plus maybe Rico Gathers vying for playing time, plus just traded for a FB that catches the ball.

Air Garrett incoming?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Nice player, nice addition to the WR corps, which needed..... something. I'm not sure he's the speed guy we need, but it does feel like some teams have players 4 and 5 WR deep making plays, whereas one injury to us always seemed to leave us thin and with players playing outside their ideal roles. This could give us some leeway.

That being said it feels like a lot of attention being paid to offense. WR, FB... we've been OL shopping too. Meanwhile on D we sign a special teamer only, really.

I'm feeling defense heavy draft. Which given the WR/TE talent in the first round, I think it is smart to go defense heavy. There are not true #1s IMO. And we don't really need a RB.... and we don't really need a first round OL either.

Cotton

Staff member
So, with this signing, maybe we can get back in the Earl Thomas race. T-Will and a 4th for him? Maybe a 3rd? Seattle needs WRs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So, with this signing, maybe we can get back in the Earl Thomas race. T-Will and a 4th for him? Maybe a 3rd? Seattle needs WRs.
I would be down with that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Terrance Williams has the least tradable contract of all our WR's. He'd actually eat an additional 2.5 mil in cap space if we traded him. Beasley to the Pats makes way more sense.

Or Dez going anywhere. Maybe a team will view a 12.5 mil cap hit on him as reasonable.

Cotton

Staff member
Terrance Williams has the least tradable contract of all our WR's. He'd actually eat an additional 2.5 mil in cap space if we traded him. Beasley to the Pats makes way more sense.

Or Dez going anywhere. Maybe a team will view a 12.5 mil cap hit on him as reasonable.
TBH, I don't care whether if it is Williams or Beasley. Just go get me Thomas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
TBH, I don't care whether if it is Williams or Beasley. Just go get me Thomas.
What if it's Dez? We'd need the Dez cap room to make the trade happen more than likely. We could still then go and get a second/third round receiver to add even more speed to the offense. Honestly it makes a ton of sense now. Plus it solidifies the defense to potentially be elite next year and saves us the wasted draft pick. It also gives us a bunch of weapons to spread teams out and use on offense as opposed to trying to feed our passing game through one WR who frankly has zero chemistry with our scheme and QB.

Cotton

Staff member

:towel

Top Bottom