Sturm: Pondering The Present And Future Of Jason Witten

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He got Hutchinsoned vs Atlanta and never recovered. Pressured on nearly 30% of his dropbacks (12th highest in the league), with a crumbling left side of his line, zero reliable deep threats, and a WR who threw bigger and bigger tantrums if he wasn't forced the ball on every series.
How dare you make excuses for Dak!

But yeah I partially agree. I think there are a lot of factors. Some Dak. Some regression from a receiving Corp that hasn't seen fresh blood in over half a decade. And some coaching.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
:lol

Ertz YAC was 3.5 per reception in 2016. That's a far stretch from 1.6.
Actually that's not a far stretch. At all.

The difference of 1.9 isn't much when you consider the top YACs are 8/10/12, and when you consider 3.5 and 1.6 are BOTH bottom of the barrel.

You are barking pretty far up the wrong tree.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Really barking up the wrong tree if we expect our fricking TE to dominate YAC.

YAC is a product of ability, play design, and throw placement. We suffered in all those categories.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Actually that's not a far stretch. At all.

The difference of 1.9 isn't much when you consider the top YACs are 8/10/12, and when you consider 3.5 and 1.6 are BOTH bottom of the barrel.

You are barking pretty far up the wrong tree.
He’s a bit of a Dak apologist.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
How dare you make excuses for Dak!

But yeah I partially agree. I think there are a lot of factors. Some Dak. Some regression from a receiving Corp that hasn't seen fresh blood in over half a decade. And some coaching.
Interesting.... “Some Dak.”

Yes, that’s exactly what I said. I said Sturm glosses over Witten’s struggles here and seems to pinnit all on Witten’s decline. I agreed Witten has declined and said he needs to have his play count reduced or be benched. But then I said “I do think it’s probably wrong to gloss over the QB transition.” Translation: it’s “Some Dak.” Worth discussing and exploring and not simply glossing over.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting.... “Some Dak.”

Yes, that’s exactly what I said. I said Sturm glosses over Witten’s struggles here and seems to pinnit all on Witten’s decline. I agreed Witten has declined and said he needs to have his play count reduced or be benched. But then I said “I do think it’s probably wrong to gloss over the QB transition.” Translation: it’s “Some Dak.” Worth discussing and exploring and not simply glossing over.
I only bitch about Witten's YAC and continuously catching the ball just short of the sticks things that are totally under his control that he didn't use to be nearly as bad at. Things that literally have little to nothing to do with Dak and that even an average TE wouldn't do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
241st is 241st.
Lol if 241st is bad, what is 1.6, like the worst ever? To say there is no difference is a joke. That's the difference between a stalled drive and a first down a lot. You throw the ball to your TE 3 times in a row and please tell me that 6 extra yards makes no difference. I mean that's a pathetic argument for even you.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really barking up the wrong tree if we expect our fricking TE to dominate YAC.

YAC is a product of ability, play design, and throw placement. We suffered in all those categories.
Expecting a guy to do more than fall down when he catches the ball is normal for every position. If you expect no more than that from a TE then don't waste your time throwing to the TE at all.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This is a really weird argument.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I only bitch about Witten's YAC and continuously catching the ball just short of the sticks things that are totally under his control that he didn't use to be nearly as bad at. Things that literally have little to nothing to do with Dak and that even an average TE wouldn't do.
Well that's not what I'm talking about. Sturm was addressing his downfield targets, not his YAC only.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that's not what I'm talking about. Sturm was addressing his downfield targets, not his YAC only.
Actually it's an article about Witten's decline. Which is why he addressed the YAC specifically in his article...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He also specifically addrsssed his downfield targets.
Well because it is showing a causal link between the two things. When a guys skills decline it impacts all areas of his game. The YAC shows a direct causal link between his skills and declining numbers because YAC is purely based on Witten. And obviously a declining skill set is going to lead to less explosive plays. Which is where the 20+ yard plays stuff comes in. It's all indications of a very declining player.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dez declining. Witten declining. Tyron declining. Beasley can't get open. TWill's YPC down three whole yards from 2016 and six yards from 2014.

Guess everyone's declining all at once. It's gotta be. Otherwise we'd have to include a sophomore QB in the blame.

Darn our luck.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dez declining. Witten declining.
You do realize that players don't last forever right? You can't just hold onto the same WR's and TEs for a decade or more and expect them to play like they are in their prime.

But no I don't think TWill declined at all. Which is why he was still catching the vast majority of the balls thrown his direction. A WR can't totally control the number of balls thrown his direction but he can control what he does with them. Williams still caught the ball and did well. But yet you always want to pidgeon hole him because your argument doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Dez declining. Witten declining. Tyron declining. Beasley can't get open. TWill's YPC down three whole yards from 2016 and six yards from 2014.

Guess everyone's declining all at once. It's gotta be. Otherwise we'd have to include a sophomore QB in the blame.

Darn our luck.
Imagine that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You do realize that players don't last forever right? You can't just hold onto the same WR's and TEs for a decade or more and expect them to play like they are in their prime.

But no I don't think TWill declined at all. Which is why he was still catching the vast majority of the balls thrown his direction. A WR can't totally control the number of balls thrown his direction but he can control what he does with them. Williams still caught the ball and did well. But yet you always want to pidgeon hole him because your argument doesn't make any sense otherwise.
6 fewer YPC.

It's not because he's declining.

Top Bottom