Raiders Sign Kyle Wilber

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Vea > Smith > James. All three are fine.

Smith should gain some weight and become Lee’s successor. James is a guy any team could use. But Vea can make the whole team better and apply pressure in the middle like few others.

Oh yeah, and he’ll destroy the run.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'd love to add any of them at 19, but Roquan's the only one who I'd want to trade up that high for.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Vea > Smith > James. All three are fine.

Smith should gain some weight and become Lee’s successor. James is a guy any team could use. But Vea can make the whole team better and apply pressure in the middle like few others.

Oh yeah, and he’ll destroy the run.
I'd take the two LBers before Vea.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To me James could be the leader of this defense. He has that type of character from my understanding. I think similar could be said of Smith.

I like Vea but I wouldn't trade up for him. I'd love to have a stud NT but he isn't going to be a play maker like the other two.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I feel like with Lawrence/Irving, we have freaks on the DL. Lee is our fragile freak at LB, though Edwards (I wish he was more instinctive) and Smith (I wish he was bigger) could be as well.

We have no freaks in the defensive backfield. James could be one (thought I wish he was smaller. Biscuit short of a libnebacker?)

Get a freak in round 1.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
James then Smith then Vea. I love Vea (as I have noted many times) but I would not move up for him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Our “freaks” on the DL are average and above average respectively vs the run. You want better LBing, watch Vea collapse two blockers into their own backfield and then fill in the blank can come in and make a play.

Vea is worth more than the 19th pick, probably in the 12-15 range. I’d definitely trade up for him.

Trading up any higher and you’ve probably lost a 2nd round pick. That’s a disaster.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Didn't pay attention, did Vea have a bad combine or something? Because the few times I saw him I was most impressed at how he can move for a guy that big. This isn't like a Ted Washington type who's totally immobile. I'd definitely take him higher than 19.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didn't pay attention, did Vea have a bad combine or something? Because the few times I saw him I was most impressed at how he can move for a guy that big. This isn't like a Ted Washington type who's totally immobile. I'd definitely take him higher than 19.
He ran a 5.1 forty I believe which is excellent for a big guy but he isn't beating many in the NFL off the snap. It's just not his game.

Cotton

Staff member
I would take him higher than 19, as well. I just wouldn't trade away picks to move up for him.

Cotton

Staff member
Then you won't be getting him higher than 19?
My point being if we had the 15th pick I would take him there. I'm just not willing to move up from our current 19th pick to do so.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Then you won't be getting him higher than 19?
He is saying that if the Cowboys were picking higher he wouldnt have a problem picking him there. Just not going to trade picks.

Im in the same boat concerning Vea. I do think I have talked myself down on him, though, just because of the cowboys dumbass philosophy on guys like him. Why get caught up in the hype of something that just wont happen.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is the year to trade picks. I'm usually against it, but I am feeling very bullish about this defense if you can add 2 or 3 more pieces at key positions. One stud safety, one stud linebacker (ie a significantly better player than Hitchens), and maybe another DL piece... I'd take either a running game anchor or another pass rusher (Randy Gregory, are you out there?).

That's why I'd be willing to throw money at Eric Reid or maybe even trade a 4th for Earl Thomas. Then trade up for Roquan Smith (3rd and 3rd next year?). Maybe get Harrison Phillips in the second.

That defense will be fierce.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I do think I have talked myself down on him, though, just because of the cowboys dumbass philosophy on guys like him. Why get caught up in the hype of something that just wont happen.
My goal is not to predict what the quick twitch asses of our "brain" trust will do.

I'm only interested in the biggest impact players that we can realistically grab.

The best defensive players will be gone by 19, and you can forget trading away a 2nd round pick to get Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds.

But Vea could be had, and maybe James too. Ridley should also be within similar striking distance, but I think demand will push him out of reach.

The extra picks will make a big difference in total, so we can trade a 4th or even a 3rd rounder away to get a prime player.

Vea is a much better prospect than Jonathan Hankins, for example, and will only get better. I liken him to Haloti Ngata.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
My goal is not to predict what the quick twitch asses of our "brain" trust will do.

I'm only interested in the biggest impact players that we can realistically grab.

The best defensive players will be gone by 19, and you can forget trading away a 2nd round pick to get Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds.

But Vea could be had, and maybe James too. Ridley should also be within similar striking distance, but I think demand will push him out of reach.

The extra picks will make a big difference in total, so we can trade a 4th or even a 3rd rounder away to get a prime player.

Vea is a much better prospect than Jonathan Hankins, for example, and will only get better. I liken him to Haloti Ngata.

Im not saying you have to predict who they get. Im saying Vea is not even in the conversation as a choice for said prediction. Just not going to stress myself over a choice that has no chance to be made. I like Vea and I think he would absolutely do well for us.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the year to trade picks. I'm usually against it, but I am feeling very bullish about this defense if you can add 2 or 3 more pieces at key positions. One stud safety, one stud linebacker (ie a significantly better player than Hitchens), and maybe another DL piece... I'd take either a running game anchor or another pass rusher (Randy Gregory, are you out there?).

That's why I'd be willing to throw money at Eric Reid or maybe even trade a 4th for Earl Thomas. Then trade up for Roquan Smith (3rd and 3rd next year?). Maybe get Harrison Phillips in the second.

That defense will be fierce.
The problem is if you trade up and let's say burn a third rounder. You may have just given up a legit starting WR in a draft like this. Your third rounder should still easily be a starter long term. Like Lewis was last year.

I just don't know if it's worth sacrificing two starters to get a Roquan for example. He better be really special to make that move. Especially with how badly this team needs talented youth at WR and TE and not to mention Oline talent still somehow.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The problem is if you trade up and let's say burn a third rounder. You may have just given up a legit starting WR in a draft like this. Your third rounder should still easily be a starter long term. Like Lewis was last year.

I just don't know if it's worth sacrificing two starters to get a Roquan for example. He better be really special to make that move. Especially with how badly this team needs talented youth at WR and TE and not to mention Oline talent still somehow.
Yeah, but our history shows that we shouldn't necessarily count on finding Jordan Lewis or Maliek Collins every year. And even so, would I trade, say........ Calvin Ridley and a Maliek Collins level DT for a young, healthy Sean Lee? Yes I would.

If you go back to 2002, I think I would classify our hits and misses on third round picks as 7 out of 14, so that's about 50%. And included in those "hits" are third rounders like Tyrone Crawford who are really more backups.

Top Bottom