• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiefs signing Anthony Hitchens

Chiefs begin defensive rebuild with Anthony Hitchens
    Posted by Darin Gantt on March 13, 2018, 8:21 AM EDT

Getty Images
    At some point, the Chiefs had to start adding instead of just subtracting on defense.

And it appears they’ve begun that process.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Chiefs are about to sign Cowboys linebacker Anthony Hitchens to a deal worth $9 million per year.

The 25-year-old Hitchens was capable of playing all three linebacker positions in a 4-3, but likely slots in as the replacement for Derrick Johnson in the middle of the Chiefs’ 3-4.

In addition to Johnson, the Chiefs have also cut pass-rusher Tamba Hali and safety Ron Parker, and traded cornerback Marcus Peters.

So while they still have plenty of work to do, Hitchens is a solid building block on that side to go along with their splash signing of wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

Hopefully Jaylon Smith stays healthy but for added incentive draft another ILB

Comment

9 mil per year. Yep, looks like we won't be touching free agency.

Comment

The Chiefs are overpaying for this guy. How they figure he is a centerpiece to their defensive system is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
          9 mil per year. Yep, looks like we won't be touching free agency.
          Well, if they wanted to pay that kind of coin to a guy like Hitchens, perhaps their strategy is not that dumb after all.

These are the kind of contracts that get GMs fired if they don't pan out. And the odds are against what basically amounts to a utility LBer blossoming into a defensive leader in a system he has never played in.

Comment

Would have liked to have kept him but 9 is a crazy number.
            #Fire Garrett

Comment

This more or less makes him a borderline top 10 paid off-ball LB by AAV, which is ridiculous.

Go sign Tahir Whitehead for 3 a year and you won't notice much, if any drop off.

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleton View Post
                This more or less makes him a borderline top 10 paid off-ball LB by AAV, which is ridiculous.

Go sign Tahir Whitehead for 3 a year and you won't notice much, if any drop off.
                They can draft a guy better than he is in the 3rd or 4th this year.

He was massively overrated by this staff mainly because he was a decent security blanket for Lee's inevitable injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by boozeman View Post
                  They can draft a guy better than he is in the 3rd or 4th this year.

He was massively overrated by this staff mainly because he was a decent security blanket for Lee's inevitable injuries.
                  That too although I'd rather not be forced into that position, sign someone like Whitehead for 2-3 years and then if the draft falls that way great.

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleton View Post
                    That too although I'd rather not be forced into that position, sign someone like Whitehead for 2-3 years and then if the draft falls that way great.
                    But I don't think Dallas is all into that kind of signing. Think lower. Like dirt cheap lower. Like Kelvin Sheppard cheap.

Comment

Chiefs are paying for Hitchens’ young age. Our team needs more veterans if anything.

Dontari Poe on a cuttable deal.

Comment

Jesus Christ, I wanted to keep him, but no way would I have paid him 9 a year. Hell, we are only paying Lee 7 a year. Just wow.
                        2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

They’ll take a LB at 19 now. Cause we’re keeping our stud WR.
                          defense wins championships

Comment

Originally posted by Iamtdg View Post
                            Jesus Christ, I wanted to keep him, but no way would I have paid him 9 a year. Hell, we are only paying Lee 7 a year. Just wow.
                            My thoughts exactly.

I'm shocked he got that.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamtdg View Post
                              I have not seen what years three and beyond look like though. It looks like a lot of money, but if you want to secure a young player you think can start, that is pretty much what you are going to end up doing.

I am just glad we did not restructure someone just to re-sign this guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X