Dak Prescott, Matthew Stafford among top 10 tight-window QBs

data

Forbes #1
I was trying to make this point on another thread but got a get out response. I agree this is a result of primary receivers being covered and Dak going to Witten who is open but not far enough down the field. The catch is made but not effective toward retaining possession.
Even as #1 in this category, article stars Daks passer rating in tight window throws is 82.1, which is comparable to unimpressive overall QB ratings of Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco.

Translation - Even if Dak was awesome in this category, can’t make a living off of tight window throws. The top QBs with shittier tight-window performance balance it with much more superb performance with WRs that are open.

My biggest problem with this Next-gen stat is it’s lack of analysis of making the correct read. Show me if the QB made a tight-window throw despite there being an open WR elsewhere.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is exactly what we have been saying. His accuracy appeared poor because our receivers couldn't get open for shit. Dak actually did fairly well considering what he had to work with. Dump Dez and get us a true #1 in the draft or FA.

But, alas, they won't. Dez will still be here next year, and the entire WR corps and our passing game will look the exact same.
I'm not sure there is a true #1 available in either FA or the draft. Though I also don't think you need a true #1 to have a successful WR core.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They explain how they come up with the stats. I think the value of this is it normalizes it against other teams. I think what it does point out is that we likely have more of a scheme problem than anything. If our QB is decently accurate and our receivers are at least average at getting separation at release, our route combinations, or our play-calling, are likely a big part of the problem. Not really surprising.

I will say there was a period of time in the season where our offense was running as planned and they were totally rolling offensively. We would have beat the vaunted Rams if not for a braindead fumble by Switzer. It's not all bad.
The offense was putting up stats for a time, but it always kinda felt to me like they were laboring.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm not sure there is a true #1 available in either FA or the draft. Though I also don't think you need a true #1 to have a successful WR core.
I agree that you don't have to have a true #1. I should have worded that differently. We need speed. And, I believe that we can get that in this draft. Even in the 3rd.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I think maybe the take-away here is that the elite QBs/offenses find wide open WRs for big chunks of yardage. Not slants, curls, and crossing routes where the DB is always the step behind the WR.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, I think maybe the take-away here is that the elite QBs/offenses find wide open WRs for big chunks of yardage. Not slants, curls, and crossing routes where the DB is always the step behind the WR.
Sure, but a big part of that is on the WR and playcalling.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
When your fastest WR runs a 4.5 something forty, separation is going to be at a premium.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
This has probably been covered elsewhere but it's hard to imagine there won't be an eruption from Dez if he is no longer designated numero uno.

He's disruptive, prideful and emotional -- a volatile combination. It actually might be worth looking forward to, to see how RHG and Jerry and the Idiot Son handle it.

Cotton

Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This has probably been covered elsewhere but it's hard to imagine there won't be an eruption from Dez if he is no longer designated numero uno.

He's disruptive, prideful and emotional -- a volatile combination. It actually might be worth looking forward to, to see how RHG and Jerry and the Idiot Son handle it.
Easy to hate on Dez but he’s clearly the best option. You just can’t always be leaving him alone on an island. Move him around, pick, and definitely cross more.

And yeah, learn to throw more back shoulder. Phillip Rivers destroyed our defense with those throws.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, Dak definitely needs to master the back shoulder throw. It's a throw that simply isn't in his arsenal right now and needs to be. It's in every top QB's bag of tricks.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Watched that Matt Harmon clip... Half of those are just throwing it up to a covered receiver and counting on the WR to go up over the DB and catch it. I wouldn't even count those as going through a "tight window". The two passes to Witten were great, though.

Top Bottom