Archer: Cowboys believe Taco Charlton's story is just beginning

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
6-8 sacks and setting the edge is about all I expect out of Charlton, which is enough for me out of a 27 lb DE taken at the end of the 1st round.
They wanted the edge setter and they got him. Now live with it.

But I think he weighs more than 27 LB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They wanted the edge setter and they got him. Now live with it.

But I think he weighs more than 27 LB.
Yes, yes, 270.

Whether we like it or not Watt had no experience in a 3-point stance and there is no way he comes in and produces as a rookie like he did in Pittsburgh. He was a pure 3-4 OLB prospect, could he have transitioned into a full-time DE for us?

Sure, but it would've taken a few years and it's likely that he would've been a mostly sub-package player for us until at least Year 2 or even 3.

Of course there's plenty of value in that, and I'm not saying passing up Watt was the clear cut right decision, but they didn't make the decision without some reasonable logic.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Somebody is a little sensitive to criticism.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Is he talking about Haley...the guy who's working with him once a week to get better?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Better test him for the weed.....

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is he talking about Haley...the guy who's working with him once a week to get better?
If he is they must have issues beyond the comments on twitter. Regardless players need to learn not to post everything they think on twitter.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If he is they must have issues beyond the comments on twitter. Regardless players need to learn not to post everything they think on twitter.
He's gonna wake up with a dong in his taco.

Then what's he gonna do ?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's gonna wake up with a dong in his taco.

Then what's he gonna do ?
Just as long as he doesn't do this again...

-Haley, on his way from the bathroom to a team meeting, pulled down his pants, wiped his ass, and then threw his shit-stained toilet paper at 49ers coach John Marshall.

The guy is legitimately batshit crazy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Just as long as he doesn't do this again...

-Haley, on his way from the bathroom to a team meeting, pulled down his pants, wiped his ass, and then threw his shit-stained toilet paper at 49ers coach John Marshall.

The guy is legitimately batshit crazy.
Says the guy that will eat shit for a super bowl appearance.....

vince

Not So New Member

I'm not reading too much into this. It's possible they have a joking kind of relationship.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yes, yes, 270.

Whether we like it or not Watt had no experience in a 3-point stance and there is no way he comes in and produces as a rookie like he did in Pittsburgh. He was a pure 3-4 OLB prospect, could he have transitioned into a full-time DE for us?

Sure, but it would've taken a few years and it's likely that he would've been a mostly sub-package player for us until at least Year 2 or even 3.

Of course there's plenty of value in that, and I'm not saying passing up Watt was the clear cut right decision, but they didn't make the decision without some reasonable logic.
But it wasn't down to just watt versus taco.

They could have just decided that DE wasn't the only position on the board and gone in a different direction.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
They could have just decided that DE wasn't the only position on the board and gone in a different direction.
Yep. Except Stevie Boy already had his mind made up. He pretty much told the world we were going to take a passrusher first.

That said, who knows, he might turn out to be just fine. I do hope he wasn't talking about Haley in that tweet. Pretty snowflakey for a defensive lineman if he was.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Well that's true. Is there a player you think that we should have taken over Taco at a different position?

I wanted Taco personally and I actually think he looked good the second half of last season. So I don't really see who I would have preferred at 28 but I'm curious who you would have liked? I could understand Watt as I really liked him but other than that I'm sort of scratching my head right now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Who are you suggesting?

Kevin King? Reuben Foster?

It's not like Charlton was a late-2nd who they reached for, the value made sense.

In hindsight I would love Ryan Ramczyk as he was arguably the BPA but I don't think any Cowboy fan can say with a straight face that they wanted us to go OL as the draft was happening.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who are you suggesting?

Kevin King? Reuben Foster?

It's not like Charlton was a late-2nd who they reached for, the value made sense.

In hindsight I would love Ryan Ramczyk as he was arguably the BPA but I don't think any Cowboy fan can say with a straight face that they wanted us to go OL as the draft was happening.
Yeah no way anyone was taking a first round OT. Yeah it would have helped a ton last year when Smith went through injuries but there was no way that was happening. Hell we probably would have forced him at guard instead.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm pretty hardcore BPA and even I would have had trouble justifying yet another first-round offensive lineman.

If I remember correctly there were some defensive backs that would have been easy to justify in that spot though.

It did at the time seemed like we were pretty desperate for pass-rusher and the quality at that spot in the first round seemed to match up with what we were looking for. But personally Taco is never a guy that I really thought all that much of.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Charlton plays a different position than Watt. He had 3 sacks and a FF in 399 snaps (38%) while Watt had 7 and 1 in 751 snaps (76%). Basically he earned nearly double the PT and had just more than double the sacks. Charlton also played more LDE on the strong side.

I think Charlton is more of the type of player we needed, and nothing will help him more than strong play at NT next to him. That position is going to make or break

Top Bottom