Reports: Cowboys to make a change at offensive line coach

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Posted by Josh Alper on January 11, 2018, 1:43 PM EST

The Cowboys offensive line has been a strong part of the team in recent years, but it looks like the group will have a new coach in the 2018 season.

According to multiple reports, Frank Pollack will not return to the team. Pollack has been with the team since signing on as an assistant offensive line coach in 2013. He took over as offensive line coach in 2015.

Todd Archer of ESPN.com reports that former Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander is interviewing with the team. Alexander was let go earlier this month after 24 seasons in Cincinnati.

Archer adds that Tom Cable, who was fired by the Seahawks on Wednesday, and current assistant offensive line coach Marc Colombo are also candidates for the position.

The Cowboys have also parted ways with special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia, wide receivers coach Derek Dooley, quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson, secondary coach Joe Baker and tight ends coach Steve Loney since the end of the season. A few other coaches, including running backs coach Gary Brown, are out of contract and uncertain to return.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Any rumors about who the special teams coach might be? I haven't heard anything about that.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Cowboys continue staff changes with line coach Frank Pollack departing

Cowboys continue staff changes with line coach Frank Pollack departing

Offensive line coach Frank Pollack will not be back with the Dallas Cowboys in 2018, according to multiple sources.

It is the sixth change on Jason Garrett's staff since the season ended and perhaps the most significant, because of the resources the Cowboys have put in their offensive line and their desire to be a run-first team.

Paul Alexander, who spent more than 20 years with the Cincinnati Bengals, is interviewing with the Cowboys as Pollack's replacement, according to a source. A source said Tom Cable, who was fired by the Seattle Seahawks and was a college teammate of offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, is also a candidate.

Assistant offensive line coach Marc Colombo, who played for the Cowboys from 2005-10, will also be in the mix.

Pollack took over for Bill Callahan after the 2014 season. Dallas was in the top 10 in rushing -- including second in both 2016 and 2017 -- in each of Pollack's three seasons as the line coach.

During Pollack's tenure, left tackle Tyron Smith, center Travis Frederick and right guard Zack Martin made the Pro Bowl each season and all three were first-team All-Pro picks in 2016. Pollack also oversaw the move of La'el Collins from left guard to right tackle in 2017.

Pass protection, however, was an issue in 2017. Dak Prescott was sacked 32 times after he was sacked 25 times as a rookie. The Cowboys missed Smith for three full games and all but three snaps of a fourth. In the first game Smith missed, Prescott was sacked eight times by the Atlanta Falcons, with backup tackles Chaz Green and Byron Bell giving up six sacks. Without Smith on the field, Prescott threw one touchdown pass. The protection was better with Smith on the field, but Prescott's yard per attempt dropped from 8 to 6.8 in 2017.

Pollack joined the Cowboys in 2013 as Callahan's assistant offensive line coach. When Callahan left for the Washington Redskins, Garrett promoted Pollack, who is a stickler for details and technique.

Pollack joins special-teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia, wide receivers coach Derek Dooley, quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson, secondary coach Joe Baker and tight ends coach Steve Loney as coaches not returning. Bisaccia was named the special-teams coach with the Oakland Raiders, and Dooley became the offensive coordinator at Missouri. Loney is retiring, and Wilson and Baker had expiring contracts.

Running backs coach Gary Brown, whose contract ran out, also reportedly interviewed with the Raiders and has drawn interest from at least one more team. The Cowboys, however, want to keep Brown. Passing game coordinator/linebackers coach Matt Eberflus and secondary coach Greg Jackson also have expiring contracts.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

The Cowboys offensive line has been a strong part of the team in recent years, but it looks like the group will have a new coach in the 2018 season.

According to multiple reports, Frank Pollack will not return to the team. Pollack has been with the team since signing on as an assistant offensive line coach in 2013. He took over as offensive line coach in 2015.

Todd Archer of ESPN.com reports that former Bengals offensive line coach Paul Alexander is interviewing with the team. Alexander was let go earlier this month after 24 seasons in Cincinnati.

Archer adds that Tom Cable, who was fired by the Seahawks on Wednesday, and current assistant offensive line coach Marc Colombo are also candidates for the position.

The Cowboys have also parted ways with special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia, wide receivers coach Derek Dooley, quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson, secondary coach Joe Baker and tight ends coach Steve Loney since the end of the season. A few other coaches, including running backs coach Gary Brown, are out of contract and uncertain to return.

I didn't see any reaction from you Booze on this.

Is that a good thing, or bad thing?

:lol

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Yeah lets make Pollack the scapegoat because Garrett didn't make any fucking adjustments in the Atlanta game against "the great sack artist....uh....what was his name again"???

DLK150

DCC 4Life

I swear to gawd, Dallas' moves parallel Notre Dame's almost exactly. Dallas has a decent season, ND has a decent season. Dallas has a bad season, ND has a bad season. Dallas loses players to FA, ND loses them to the draft. Dallas has to make coaching changes, ND has to make coaching changes. I feel like being a fan of both teams has cursed them both.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah lets make Pollack the scapegoat because Garrett didn't make any fucking adjustments in the Atlanta game against "the great sack artist....uh....what was his name again"???
Yeah I don't think it's the offensive line coaches responsibility to keep the TE in to block. And I don't blame Pollack for the O-line falling off when Tyron Smith is out. He is our best O-lineman who plays the most important position on the O-line. I'm not going to hold it against Pollack that Chaz Green couldn't step up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn't see any reaction from you Booze on this.

Is that a good thing, or bad thing?

Alexander would be a decent hire, better than Cable and way better than just being lazy and promoting Colombo who is way too inexperienced.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alexander would be a decent hire, better than Cable and way better than just being lazy and promoting Colombo who is way too inexperienced.
Why would you fire someone and then promote the guy who learned how to coach from the guy you just fired? That concept just makes no sense to me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Bengals just hired Pollack to be their OL coach. Meanwhile, we are looking at hiring the guy they fired. :lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I want Tom Cable. I really like what he did with the Seahawks when they gave him a little talent. Plus he dealt with a similar style QB and run first offense.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think I want Tom Cable. I really like what he did with the Seahawks when they gave him a little talent. Plus he dealt with a similar style QB and run first offense.
Plus maybe he'll knock out Garrett in a meeting.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plus maybe he'll knock out Garrett in a meeting.
Yeah, we need a little more of that personality on the offensive staff. Plus the guy has turned nobodies into starting LTs in the NFL. Would be nice to have a little of that in Dallas.

shane

DCC 4Life
I'd like to see him as OL coach under a new offensive coordinator.

Top Bottom