2018 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Smitty

DCC 4Life
What about Eric Reid?
He'd be a guy I'd make a splash on. However, consider his stance on kneeling for the national anthem and then realize that Jerry Jones will not be starting a business relationship with this person. There are even rumbles if they are gonna allow David Irving to test the waters cause he put his hand up.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't know, I remember some solid safeties signing last off season on reasonable deals. But honestly I'm ok waiting on the draft. With Xavier Woods looking good we have the ability to be patient at safety. Even though I'd take a stud in the first in a heart beat. And if I can get a safety cheap in free agency I would do it.
I don't think there are any center field types in this draft early.

I'd sign Reid, move Jones back to corner, roll with Reid/Woods/Frazier at safety, Jones/Awuzie/Lewis at corner, draft a stud LB at 19, bring back Irving and Lawrence to go with Taco, Collins and possibly Tapper/Gregory, and go from there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He'd be a guy I'd make a splash on. However, consider his stance on kneeling for the national anthem and then realize that Jerry Jones will not be starting a business relationship with this person. There are even rumbles if they are gonna allow David Irving to test the waters cause he put his hand up.
David Irving isn't going to test anything. Unless you mean a first and third round tender. But you're probably right about Reid even though I really don't care about him kneeling if it helps us win games.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I don't think there are any center field types in this draft early.

I'd sign Reid, move Jones back to corner, roll with Reid/Woods/Frazier at safety, Jones/Awuzie/Lewis at corner, draft a stud LB at 19, bring back Irving and Lawrence to go with Taco, Collins and possibly Tapper/Gregory, and go from there.
Gregory is done. Roll the dice on a raw DE late in the draft...They need 2 nice LB's, 1 of which needs to be a playmaker, and they need a nice big DT who can stuff the run and eat up space. No matter what, these are holes in this defense that would keep it from being a top 5 D no matter who is running it. And also...fuck Marinelli and what players he wants, it looks as if they are phasing him out or making contingency plans to keep him on a short leash.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gregory is done. Roll the dice on a raw DE late in the draft...They need 2 nice LB's, 1 of which needs to be a playmaker, and they need a nice big DT who can stuff the run and eat up space. No matter what, these are holes in this defense that would keep it from being a top 5 D no matter who is running it. And also...fuck Marinelli and what players he wants, it looks as if they are phasing him out or making contingency plans to keep him on a short leash.
I don't think we need 2 LBers to be a top 5 D. Shit I'm not even convinced we absolutely need one high impact LBer. Sort of depends on Hitchens return and Jaylon's continued development.

But I still want another play making LBer. Why settle for a top 5 defense when we could have a special one. Just like I think we have the DE's in place now. But I certainly wouldn't scoff at another elite pass rusher in the draft. No D-lineman should be playing more than like 60% of the snaps anyway.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'm a little irritated watching Jack's maturation in Jacksonville. Yet another might have been Cowboy.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I don't think we need 2 LBers to be a top 5 D. Shit I'm not even convinced we absolutely need one high impact LBer. Sort of depends on Hitchens return and Jaylon's continued development.

But I still want another play making LBer. Why settle for a top 5 defense when we could have a special one. Just like I think we have the DE's in place now. But I certainly wouldn't scoff at another elite pass rusher in the draft. No D-lineman should be playing more than like 60% of the snaps anyway.
Hitchens has been solid, but he's not a playmaker. I'm not sure about Jaylon either, and Lee is an injury waiting to happen.

But even if you are correct, any Cowboys fan who watched the Jags in the playoffs has to be scratching their heads with the way Church performed and how well they use their LB's.

Under Marinelli Church was constantly out of position and the LB core is a sieve outside of Lee.

I think the biggest improvement for the Dallas D would come from new blood at DC.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hitchens has been solid, but he's not a playmaker. I'm not sure about Jaylon either, and Lee is an injury waiting to happen.

But even if you are correct, any Cowboys fan who watched the Jags in the playoffs has to be scratching their heads with the way Church performed and how well they use their LB's.

Under Marinelli Church was constantly out of position and the LB core is a sieve outside of Lee.

I think the biggest improvement for the Dallas D would come from new blood at DC.
I think a new defensive coordinator, especially one that can implement some of the things Seattle does would go a long way. I'm hopeful now that we have brought in their defensive coordinator. The biggest difference between us and the Jags though is the defensive line. Their D-line is stacked with Darius, Campbell, Ngakoue, Donte Fowler Jr. and such. They just have so much talent and depth on that D-line. It allows their LBers to fly around. And then they obviously have speed at LBer. Reminds me a little of the early 90's Cowboys were the great D-line made it easy for LBers to fly around and make plays.

I've also seen Jaylon become a play maker as the season went on. He caused fumbles, made tackles for loss and generally became a much better player. I'm all for adding another speedy LBer to the roster. I think Hitchens is very underrated but obviously I'd love someone like Roquan Smith because of the speed he would bring to the defense. That is speed that guys like Hitchens and Lee will never have.

But look at the Eagles LBer corp. Not exactly star studded but they do well because the D-line in front of them is so dominant.

GShock

DCC 4Life
If we move on from Irving for anything other than legit medical reasons, we are dumb.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we move on from Irving for anything other than legit medical reasons, we are dumb.
No kidding the guy had 7 sacks in 8 games this season. He is a rare double digit sack DT in this system. If we let him go it better be for a first and third round draft pick.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The only other reason I would is if we tender him at a first and third and a team makes him a massive offer. In that case I take the picks and walk.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Has there been any speculation of that happening?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

The salary cap and the franchise tag on Lawrence will force us to anyways.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The salary cap and the franchise tag on Lawrence will force us to anyways.
That is understood. I didn't expect a bonanza, but it is that "fringe" part that burns me up. Free agency can be worked appropriately without being completely and disgustingly cheap.

That means more shit just like last year that doesn't even make it through the fucking season.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That is understood. I didn't expect a bonanza, but it is that "fringe" part that burns me up. Free agency can be worked appropriately without being completely and disgustingly cheap.

That means more shit just like last year that doesn't even make it through the fucking season.
it seems we couldnt possibly do any worse in free agency.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I've thought it for a few years now as Stephen has spoken more -- I'm afraid he's going to be just as cheap as Jerry was reckless. Might be just as bad, only in a different way.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
If we don't draft Vea with our first pick Bennie Logan would be a good pick up. I know he's not as dynamic and we want the young stud. But if they whiff on him Logan may be an affordable run stuffer.

Top Bottom