2018 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think we're working on Thomas. Wait for it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As we've talked about before, we have to assume that Sean Lee is going to miss 4-6 games. With Hitchens gone that leaves Smith as our only semi-reliable LB. That doesn't give me warm fuzzies.
So what's our leader's plans for this? Free agent?
Or draft and rely on rookies in a learning curve?
We need to sign someone. Wilson is decent but I'd like another veteran on the team. You need some damn backups.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Funny how the first public comments from Jerry Jones since free agency began is to acknowledge the passing of Tom Benson, one of his rich buddies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We need to sign someone. Wilson is decent but I'd like another veteran on the team. You need some damn backups.
Still waiting on those "reasonable" players who will take dirt for compensation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still waiting on those "reasonable" players who will take dirt for compensation.
:lol

Certainly not dirt. Shit even turds like Carroll didn't take dirt. But if I'm going to pay a moderate deal I sure as shit don't want to pick up the Carroll's of the world.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

Certainly not dirt. Shit even turds like Carroll didn't take dirt. But if I'm going to pay a moderate deal I sure as shit don't want to pick up the Carroll's of the world.
These clueless dumb fucks are really out there this year.

They are trying everything. We "tried" to get Sammy Watkins!

Like that was trying to get a proven talent in their prime.

They can't even identify talent right and that is the problem all along.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Like a buddy of mine used to ask me when he was high.."What's really going on here? "
We lose Hitchens, Rod Smith, Scandrick on the move, no real 1 tech, an 87 year old TE who catches five yarders and falls forward for two, an underachieving WR who gets paid like a top five, a LG who is average at best.
At the same time the Eagles are stacking their roster and good players flashing right by us.
And we're trying to move money around to stay at the status quo?
Really?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like a buddy of mine used to ask me when he was high.."What's really going on here? "
We lose Hitchens, Rod Smith, Scandrick on the move, no real 1 tech, an 87 year old TE who catches five yarders and falls forward for two, an underachieving WR who gets paid like a top five, a LG who is average at best.
At the same time the Eagles are stacking their roster and good players flashing right by us.
And we're trying to move money around to stay at the status quo?
Really?
I mean it would be nice if we at least had some guys coming in to discuss. Instead we are all just watching the best available lists hoping Dallas considers one of these guys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crabtree, anyone?
I'd be worried that he would sort of be a lateral move with Dez. Which if the price is cheap enough I might make it. Both are 30 year olds who can still make spectacular plays but they aren't really number 1 type receivers anymore. If the idea is to draft a stud and sign Crabtree and dump Dez I might be on board. I think Crabtree could buy us time while a youngster develops.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd be worried that he would sort of be a lateral move with Dez. Which if the price is cheap enough I might make it. Both are 30 year olds who can still make spectacular plays but they aren't really number 1 type receivers anymore. If the idea is to draft a stud and sign Crabtree and dump Dez I might be on board. I think Crabtree could buy us time while a youngster develops.
Crabtree would be a pretty sizeable step down. And I am not even a Bryant fan.

Hardly anyone respects Bryant as it is. Put Crabtree with Prescott throwing to him and it is open season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crabtree would be a pretty sizeable step down. And I am not even a Bryant fan.

Hardly anyone respects Bryant as it is. Put Crabtree with Prescott throwing to him and it is open season.
I don't think Crabtree would be as demanding as Dez to the point that Dak is throwing balls to a guy who is well covered repeatedly. I mean at least Crabtree is only 1 year removed from a great season. Dez is like 3 years removed from doing shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think Crabtree would be as demanding as Dez to the point that Dak is throwing balls to a guy who is well covered repeatedly. I mean at least Crabtree is only 1 year removed from a great season. Dez is like 3 years removed from doing shit.
Crabtree is even less now than what Richard Sherman described him as years ago.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think Crabtree would be as demanding as Dez to the point that Dak is throwing balls to a guy who is well covered repeatedly.

I really think you are misguided here. The QB is in control of the ball. If he throws to a receiver when he shouldn't, it's on the QB. I don't care how demanding the receiver might be. At most you might say the coaches are probably influencing that, and maybe a lot. But the QB pulls the trigger.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really think you are misguided here. The QB is in control of the ball. If he throws to a receiver when he shouldn't, it's on the QB. I don't care how demanding the receiver might be. At most you might say the coaches are probably influencing that, and maybe a lot. But the QB pulls the trigger.
Oh I agree, that is definitely part on Dak. But you can't tell me that having a child whining and crying and throwing a tantrum has no impact on the QB. Dez is a polarizing guy and like it or not the other guys on the team follow him. You remove Dez and you change the dynamic of the offense. Blame that on Dak, Dez or the coaches I don't care. All I know is that he is the only guy who we repeatedly force the ball to regardless of being open or not.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What's really pissing me off is that these idiots seemingly thought giving Watkins, what, 13, 14 or 15 a year was a good idea, yet they're unwilling to go that hard after Mathieu or Suh?

Or to sign a capable starter like Whitehead for 6 a year? Or Poe for 9 a year? Or Avery Williamson for 7 a year? Todd Davis for 5? Or Bennie Logan who is still out there? Tre Boston? Vaccaro?

Surely those guys that are still out there could be had for somewhere around 6-8 a year, if not less.

But no, they want to go and throw whatever the fuck it was that they offered Watkins, which I'm 100% sure wasn't anywhere close to being "value" considering his history, and then sit on their hands?

Pathetic.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's really pissing me off is that these idiots seemingly thought giving Watkins, what, 13, 14 or 15 a year was a good idea, yet they're unwilling to go that hard after Mathieu or Suh?

Or to sign a capable starter like Whitehead for 6 a year? Or Poe for 9 a year? Or Avery Williamson for 7 a year? Todd Davis for 5? Or Bennie Logan who is still out there? Tre Boston? Vaccaro?

Surely those guys that are still out there could be had for somewhere around 6-8 a year, if not less.

But no, they want to go and throw whatever the fuck it was that they offered Watkins, which I'm 100% sure wasn't anywhere close to being "value" considering his history, and then sit on their hands?

Pathetic.
To be fair, part of being able to sign Watkins was probably being able to cut Dez. Which would have added another 8.5 mil or so to our cap.

Now that they don't think they can cut Dez. It's hard to get that kind of money together.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
To be fair, part of being able to sign Watkins was probably being able to cut Dez. Which would have added another 8.5 mil or so to our cap.

Now that they don't think they can cut Dez. It's hard to get that kind of money together.
I mean, that's seemingly an even more ridiculous idea.

First of all, Dez is a better WR. Watkins put up 39/593/8 last year, his best season is 60/1047/9, in the worst year of his career Dez put up 69/838/6, on significantly more targets to be fair, but still.

To cut Dez, only save 8 million on the cap but still have about 8 million in dead money, and then pay out another, let's say 14 to Watkins, is an even dumber idea.

There is no logic to making a move like that but turning your nose up at some of those guys I mentioned who are cheaper.

Top Bottom