2018 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Then we are definitely not on his list.
Exactly! If he wants to get a ring he needs to sign with Philly. Just being honest. They just signed Ngata for depth. I know he's older now but their D line is just plain bad ass.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Report: Cowboys restructure Travis Frederick contract to free up cap space
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 15, 2018, 12:23 AM EDT
Getty Images

The Dallas Cowboys have restructured the contract of center Travis Frederick in order to free up close to $7.5 million in cap space for 2018, according to Jane Slater of the NFL Network.

Frederick was set to earn $10 million in base salary this season. The lowest base salary he can earn as a five-year veteran is $790,000, per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Dallas would clear the cap space by converting a significant portion of the base salary to signing bonus.

Frederick was scheduled to count $13,235,000 against the cap in 2018, per OverTheCap.com. If Dallas converted the maximum amount of base salary possible to signing bonus it would allow the team to save $7,368,000 against the cap for this season.

The additional cap space could be a precursor to an impending extension in Dallas. Defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence and guard Zach Martin are both in line for new deals. Martin is set to enter the final year of his rookie contract with the Cowboys while Lawrence is set to play 2018 on the franchise tag.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Report: Cowboys restructure Travis Frederick contract to free up cap space
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 15, 2018, 12:23 AM EDT
Getty Images

The Dallas Cowboys have restructured the contract of center Travis Frederick in order to free up close to $7.5 million in cap space for 2018, according to Jane Slater of the NFL Network.

Frederick was set to earn $10 million in base salary this season. The lowest base salary he can earn as a five-year veteran is $790,000, per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Dallas would clear the cap space by converting a significant portion of the base salary to signing bonus.

Frederick was scheduled to count $13,235,000 against the cap in 2018, per OverTheCap.com. If Dallas converted the maximum amount of base salary possible to signing bonus it would allow the team to save $7,368,000 against the cap for this season.

The additional cap space could be a precursor to an impending extension in Dallas. Defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence and guard Zach Martin are both in line for new deals. Martin is set to enter the final year of his rookie contract with the Cowboys while Lawrence is set to play 2018 on the franchise tag.
I want to get long term deals done as much as the next person but this move doesn't have anything to do with it. We didn't need cap space to sign those guys to long term deals. If anything long term deals with those guys would have created some cap space this season. Redoing Frederick's deal was going to happen no matter what. I'm not reading into it at all. It's possible that we did it because we want to sign someone but I doubt it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I would have liked to sign some of these FAs, but not at the dollars being given out. Hitchens is a great example...dude is getting 20 mil guaranteed over the deal...color me unimpressed. What I am hoping for is that some vets that have been made obsolete by FA signings come available in trade.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I would have liked to sign some of these FAs, but not at the dollars being given out. Hitchens is a great example...dude is getting 20 mil guaranteed over the deal...color me unimpressed. What I am hoping for is that some vets that have been made obsolete by FA signings come available in trade.
I agree, I don't mind spending big money on big time players. I'd be pretty bummed to see us spend that kind of money on Watkins or hitchens or a lot of the other signings. It's just dumb.

GShock

DCC 4Life
I agree, I don't mind spending big money on big time players. I'd be pretty bummed to see us spend that kind of money on Watkins or hitchens or a lot of the other signings. It's just dumb.
Yeah. A draft class seems to get 4 years. If they are someone you want to commit to, do it early in that 4th NFL season, giving them bigger money sooner instead of testing the FA waters. If they are a mid-range player (hello, Hitchens), you have to let them go. Can't afford to throw that kind of money at that kind of player.

Need to be aggressive about those practice squads, and more aggressive in the trading market, tho.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Raiders signed Keith Smith. So now we need a fullback.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
These are the laziest mother fuckers of all time.

They have literally done nothing, not one god damned thing, it's ridiculous.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
They finally broke Simpleton. Come join the dark side. We have beer.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
These are the laziest mother fuckers of all time.

They have literally done nothing, not one god damned thing, it's ridiculous.
It is really amazing to watch.

They literally are going to do absolutely nothing.

Franchising Lawrence. Signing Price back. That is exactly it at this moment.

They haven't cut Scandrick or Hanna. The Frederick thing was something Goof Son could do remotely.

Lazy arrogant fucking pieces of shit.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Smitty

DCC 4Life
No shit. Rod Smith will be the backup obviously. No need to get creative there, how about spending time on the defense, assholes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No shit. Rod Smith will be the backup obviously. No need to get creative there, how about spending time on the defense, assholes.
No kidding, retaining Morris is like the last thing on my mind right now. Rod is a competent player and frankly we will probably add someone in the draft in the middle to late rounds with the plethora of extra picks we have then.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We have had a boner for Bennie Logan...sign him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Zach Brown and Jerrell Freeman would be nice adds too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zach Brown and Jerrell Freeman would be nice adds too.
Yeah there is plenty of talent still available. But we need to get moving now. This is usually when bargain deals start to get struck and we certainly don't want to be at the end of that line.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
As we've talked about before, we have to assume that Sean Lee is going to miss 4-6 games. With Hitchens gone that leaves Smith as our only semi-reliable LB. That doesn't give me warm fuzzies.
So what's our leader's plans for this? Free agent?
Or draft and rely on rookies in a learning curve?

Top Bottom