2018 Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is not. He wants at least Eric Berry money, maybe more.

Forget all that stupid shit about him "wanting to be here". He does not want to be that badly.
Like I said, Berry got 13 mil per year on average. I'm guessing it would take similar to get Thomas done. I just don't want to sink myself into a contract I can't get out of for 4 or more years. So leave some outs and I'm more than happy paying him that money.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd give Thomas a 3 year deal averaging 13 a year, why not?

If you do the background work and are comfortable that his health is good he'd only be 32 in the last year of the deal.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd give Thomas a 3 year deal averaging 13 a year, why not?

If you do the background work and are comfortable that his health is good he'd only be 32 in the last year of the deal.
That's exactly what I was thinking. And frankly looking at our cap next year I don't think it would be a big deal if we pushed some money into next years cap by redoing some contracts. We have plenty of room next year with contracts dropping in price. They are basically custom built to have money pushed into next year on them.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
That's exactly what I was thinking. And frankly looking at our cap next year I don't think it would be a big deal if we pushed some money into next years cap by redoing some contracts. We have plenty of room next year with contracts dropping in price. They are basically custom built to have money pushed into next year on them.
Yea and the Witten/Bryant/Crawford contracts should all be off the books really soon, not to mention Scandrick who will be off the books any day now.

I'd rather spend 13 million on Thomas than 6 million combined on a couple of schlubs like Paea, Carroll and whoever else we sign to be backups.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea and the Witten/Bryant/Crawford contracts should all be off the books really soon, not to mention Scandrick who will be off the books any day now.

I'd rather spend 13 million on Thomas than 6 million combined on a couple of schlubs like Paea, Carroll and whoever else we sign to be backups.
Funny thing is other than Romo all our dead money is basically from scrub free agents that we signed. Thornton, Carroll and Mayowa account for almost 5.5 mil against our cap next year. You're exactly right, signing a few scrubs who will do nothing for us makes no sense when you could have one guy with real talent and a couple extra rookies on the roster.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

So what she is saying here is pretty clear: we are not interested in paying top dollar on a contract period.

I don't know what kind of league they think they are in, but good players are going to want to get paid.

My biggest gripe is why fucking even think about guys like Thomas when you know damn good and well he wants a lot of money?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I really wish I knew what the asking price for the Seahawks was. If it truly is a 1st or 2nd, I get that being too high along with the contract extension, but if it's a 3rd, or a 4th and a 5th, or something like that, then fuck off.

16 million for a WR that is a shell of his former self, 7 million for a 36 year old TE who runs a 5.2, and 9 million for a solid rotational DE who brings good run defense but only adequate pass rush seems to be certainly fine, so 13 million for a guy who made 2nd Team All-Pro should be fine too.

Sometimes teams have to make tough decisions when money isn't being used efficiently, like the Packers did with Nelson, but never in a million years would I expect that out of these guys.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Actually, he does not "help". The team just triggers the contract switch. It is not like they even have to talk to him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
3rd is as high as I would go.
Yeah no way the Seahawks think they have any chance of getting a first. Not for a player in a contract year. That literally never happens. Especially for a guy who has played a lot of years in the league.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah no way the Seahawks think they have any chance of getting a first. Not for a player in a contract year. That literally never happens. Especially for a guy who has played a lot of years in the league.
I question if they even asked for a first. First off, it is unreasonable and way out of line with any other similar trade that has been pulled off in the NFL. Almost all of these kind of trades with a player in their contract year involve choices below the first round. Even franchise QB trades like Alex Smith did not involve that. Marcell Dareus did not involve that.

That either means they are not interested in trading him and put that out to end the discussion OR it never happened that way.

What is interesting is that nothing, literally nothing, is coming from the Seattle end of things. All the locals in Seattle are doing is reporting what is being said by people in the media from Dallas.

All of this is from the likes of Mike Fisher. For all we know, he is being used as a PR pawn by the organization who IMO is trying desperately to appear "active" and wants it known they are trying, even if they may not actually be doing jack shit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The fucking problem is that Dez is our 3rd biggest cap hit, Crawford is 6th and Witten is 7th.

A declining WR, a DE that gives you strong run D and 4 sacks a year, and a TE that runs a 5.2.

That's why we can't do dick despite having a QB on a rookie deal.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The fucking problem is that Dez is our 3rd biggest cap hit, Crawford is 6th and Witten is 7th.

A declining WR, a DE that gives you strong run D and 4 sacks a year, and a TE that runs a 5.2.

That's why we can't do dick despite having a QB on a rookie deal.
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/15/17114596/nfl-free-agency-2018-salary-cap-formula-winning-teams

This article explains it pretty well. Our problem is self evaluation of the talent on our own roster and how much and how we have invested in them.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/15/17114596/nfl-free-agency-2018-salary-cap-formula-winning-teams

This article explains it pretty well. Our problem is self evaluation of the talent on our own roster and how much and how we have invested in them.
How does that article show that conclusion? Not being a smart-ass, I'm too dumb and too busy to think about it further. Can you simplify it for me? I see we are at 44% in 2017, but 61% in 2018, as a percentage of our top 10 salaries vs. the overall cap.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Tyrann Mathieu: A winning culture matters more to me than money

Tyrann Mathieu is an unrestricted free agent, and he says breaking the bank is not his top priority.

Mathieu told Albert Breer of SI.com that when choosing his next team, he’s going to choose the team that he thinks will make him the best player he can be, while playing on the best team he can play on.

“It’s not all about money for me,” he said. “I want to go somewhere where I can be completely immersed in football, and it’s not too much about anything but winning. I want to be a part of winning culture, where you feel that all the time. That’s all I want.”

The Cardinals missed the playoffs the last two years, and now they’ll have a new coaching staff, and so Mathieu declined the team’s request that he take a pay cut. He’ll shop himself, not necessarily to the highest bidder, but to the team where he thinks he’s going to have the best chance to be a big part of a winner.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tyrann Mathieu: A winning culture matters more to me than money

Tyrann Mathieu is an unrestricted free agent, and he says breaking the bank is not his top priority.

Mathieu told Albert Breer of SI.com that when choosing his next team, he’s going to choose the team that he thinks will make him the best player he can be, while playing on the best team he can play on.

“It’s not all about money for me,” he said. “I want to go somewhere where I can be completely immersed in football, and it’s not too much about anything but winning. I want to be a part of winning culture, where you feel that all the time. That’s all I want.”

The Cardinals missed the playoffs the last two years, and now they’ll have a new coaching staff, and so Mathieu declined the team’s request that he take a pay cut. He’ll shop himself, not necessarily to the highest bidder, but to the team where he thinks he’s going to have the best chance to be a big part of a winner.
Then we are definitely not on his list.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
How does that article show that conclusion? Not being a smart-ass, I'm too dumb and too busy to think about it further. Can you simplify it for me? I see we are at 44% in 2017, but 61% in 2018, as a percentage of our top 10 salaries vs. the overall cap.
We are paying top 10 salaries to wastes like Crawford, injured players like Lee and old like Witten. We don't even have the convenient excuse of the QB, like the Steelers, Packers and Giants do.

Top Bottom