2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
We really fucked up passing over TJ Watt
I give them a pass. Taco looks like their first complete whiff in the 1st round since Bobby Carpenter. An 11 year span of solid 1st round draft picks earns them a freebie, IMO.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I give them a pass. Taco looks like their first complete whiff in the 1st round since Bobby Carpenter. An 11 year span of solid 1st round draft picks earns them a freebie, IMO.
I forgot about Mo Claiborne. Even with Mo added in there, their 1st round picks have generally been solid starters for multiple years.

data

Forbes #1
Yeah, it just seems we’ve been one player away from being a contender for over a decade.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, it just seems we’ve been one player away from being a contender for over a decade.
To make up for it Gregory has actually been pretty damn good. He looks like he could be a starting RE in this league with double digit sack potential.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
DJ Swearinger?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Bye Bye Lenoir

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We really fucked up passing over TJ Watt
In hindsight there's no doubt, and of course several on this site predicted this.

But you have to admit Taco fit the defense better than Watt.

That said, I'm not a fan of Taco's lack of effort on plays. If you're blocked and theoretically out of the play you still can still at least get off your block and hustle for forms' sake. You never know when you might be thrust back into the mix.

Look at Gregory... dead to rights, blocked clear out of the pocket, and he still circled back and made the play of the game.

Charlton isn't close to this level of hustle yet, or maybe ever.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

That sneaky Garrett hiding half the playbook getting ready for the playoffs. And you people thought he was just vanilla. This guy is the ultimate forward thinker.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

That sneaky Garrett hiding half the playbook getting ready for the playoffs. And you people thought he was just vanilla. This guy is the ultimate forward thinker.
I'm sure we do. And we still won't see it because that's not Garrett and Linehan.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Let’s face it, he’s given up big plays vs. the greatest WRs he’s faced, Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, and now Mike Evans. He won’t get picks to make up for it either.

That said he’s a fine cornerback. He just isn’t a cornerstone type player.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Let’s face it, he’s given up big plays vs. the greatest WRs he’s faced, Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, and now Mike Evans. He won’t get picks to make up for it either.

That said he’s a fine cornerback. He just isn’t a cornerstone type player.
Agreed. Which is why I'd rather allow him to walk than give him top FA CB money.

Serious question. Can anyone name at least 2 big plays that Byron Jones made this year?

I'm not saying this to bag on the guy, because I do think he's a solid player, but I just don't think he offers up enough game changing plays to justify the money that he could command on the open market.

Whereas I can easily rattle off several big plays that guys like LVE, Jaylon, and Tank have made. Guys like that who make true impact plays are the guys who deserve the big long-term contracts. That's how I view it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. Which is why I'd rather allow him to walk than give him top FA CB money.

Serious question. Can anyone name at least 2 big plays that Byron Jones made this year?

I'm not saying this to bag on the guy, because I do think he's a solid player, but I just don't think he offers up enough game changing plays to justify the money that he could command on the open market.

Whereas I can easily rattle off several big plays that guys like LVE, Jaylon, and Tank have made. Guys like that who make true impact plays are the guys who deserve the big long-term contracts. That's how I view it.
Well the good news is that he has the fifth year on his contract still. No reason to jump to any conclusions about a contract. We have another season to let him adjust to playing in this defensive system at corner. He should only get better. No reason to really talk contract amounts for him until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom