2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I want us to find our own weapons in rounds 2-7, not overpay for other teams' stars. Perennial winners like GB and New England believe that receivers, like RBs, can be found anywhere. Well, not in Dallas.
The Patriots traded a 1st and 3rd for Cooks and a 4th, which is actually more value than we gave up for Cooper.

And more importantly, you continually reference teams with elite, HOF, all-time types at QB in Brady/Brees/Rodgers, QB's who can elevate the play of lesser WR's. It's not realistic to expect Prescott to do the same thing, or the vast majority of QB's around the league for that matter.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Which was another reason not to do the trade. QBs make receivers better, not vice versa. See: Tony Romo and Laurent Robinson. Cooper will never achieve his full potential with Dak under center.
I wouldn't have given up a 1st but these guys think Prescott is the future so I understand the logic at least.

With that said, even if we replace Prescott in 2 years you'd still want a WR of Cooper's caliber. You can't go cheap at WR until you have an established QB who is basically an OC on the field, so even if we somehow find a young QB destined for greatness it will take at least a few years until they get to the point where you can go cheap at WR and let them take care of the rest.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The Patriots traded a 1st and 3rd for Cooks and a 4th, which is actually more value than we gave up for Cooper.
That's like the sole exception. Both teams have generally avoided 1st round skill position players like the plague.

And more importantly, you continually reference teams with elite, HOF, all-time types at QB in Brady/Brees/Rodgers, QB's who can elevate the play of lesser WR's. It's not realistic to expect Prescott to do the same thing, or the vast majority of QB's around the league for that matter.
Correct. Instead of burning first rounders on RBs, WRs and o-linemen, we should move heaven and Earth to find an elite QB instead. Good QB's cover up a lot of flaws.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which was another reason not to do the trade. QBs make receivers better, not vice versa. See: Tony Romo and Laurent Robinson. Cooper will never achieve his full potential with Dak under center.
Cooper has made Dak better. The numbers are clear about this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's like the sole exception. Both teams have generally avoided 1st round skill position players like the plague.
It's the sole exception for the Patriots maybe? But a lot of the top teams right now in the NFL sport first round WR's. And even Michael Thomas of the Saints who is their elite offensive weapon was a higher second rounder. You're using two teams as an example when the vast majority of NFL teams aren't able to do that. What are you going to do? Wait 10 years for the right QB to come along so that you don't need talented receivers? That's the dumbest logic.

I guess you should never take a QB high in the draft either since the best ever is Tom Brady and he was a sixth rounder. The Patriots never use first round picks on QBs.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
It's the sole exception for the Patriots maybe? But a lot of the top teams right now in the NFL sport first round WR's. And even Michael Thomas of the Saints who is their elite offensive weapon was a higher second rounder. You're using two teams as an example when the vast majority of NFL teams aren't able to do that. What are you going to do? Wait 10 years for the right QB to come along so that you don't need talented receivers? That's the dumbest logic.

I guess you should never take a QB high in the draft either since the best ever is Tom Brady and he was a sixth rounder. The Patriots never use first round picks on QBs.
Don't be silly. QBs, unlike RBs, don't grow on trees. And I respect the position so much that I hope and pray they don't extend a mediocrity like Dak.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Don't be silly. QBs, unlike RBs, don't grow on trees. And I respect the position so much that I hope and pray they don't extend a mediocrity like Dak.
Romo was a undrafted FA.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm being silly because the concept of drafting the next Tom Brady so you don't have to get top flight receivers is also silly. Those QBs aren't even in every draft. Jared Goff needed a first round WR and he was the top pick in the draft. The Eagles have burned a ton of resources on receivers. The Chiefs paid a small fortune for a former first round receiver. The Texans needed an elite first round receiver in Hopkins. All to help recent first round QBs to succeed. But I guess since the Patriots have only trade a first for a receiver once it's a bad idea.

I don't care who Dallas's QB is, he is going to be better for having Cooper on the outside. And maybe if Dallas drafted a legit WR more then like once in a decade the cupboard wouldn't have been so bare.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I want us to find our own weapons in rounds 2-7, not overpay for other teams' stars. Perennial winners like GB and New England believe that receivers, like RBs, can be found anywhere. Well, not in Dallas.
They mostly due it with elite QB play.

And you may remember Romo turning some bum WRs into millionaires.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Correct. Instead of burning first rounders on RBs, WRs and o-linemen, we should move heaven and Earth to find an elite QB instead. Good QB's cover up a lot of flaws.
Certainly that would have been the smart thing; but failing that, I’m not gonna trash Cooper, who has been good.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Cooper has made Dak better. The numbers are clear about this.
But still not better to the point the we can count on winning more games.

He's simply not playing to the level required of an NFL starting QB.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Do you not think Dak has had a hand in these last two unlikeliest of wins on the road? Come on, man. Sure he's good for some idiotic plays, but he seems to redeem himself with clutch plays down the stretch.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'd say we already won 2 games that we wouldn't without Cooper. But if you mean the ultimate picture this season I totally agree with you. I mean Cooper isn't getting us a shot at the Superbowl this year but the man is 24, the trade isn't just for this seasons sake.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you not think Dak has had a hand in these last two unlikeliest of wins on the road? Come on, man. Sure he's good for some idiotic plays, but he seems to redeem himself with clutch plays down the stretch.
Pretty spot on.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Damn. Its bad enough Swaim wasn't really a receiving threat at TE, but now theres no one to step in that will even make defenses think the TE might catch a pass.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damn. Its bad enough Swaim wasn't really a receiving threat at TE, but now theres no one to step in that will even make defenses think the TE might catch a pass.
Schultz can catch about the same. He just can't block like Swaim and fucks up too much. Jarwin just sucks all around. Rico time!!!

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Schultz can catch about the same. He just can't block like Swaim and fucks up too much. Jarwin just sucks all around. Rico time!!!
Rico must have shit in the coaches chair or something. The guy is never on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom