2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Eh. Would he have even seen him? Or thrown him a catchable pass? Chances are, he would have just thrown it to the dude out in the flat.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Whatever, Troy. All he needs is taller WRs.

Then we'll see the passes that are caught easily and in stride. Normal catches.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys sign former Giants’ safety Darian Thompson to their 53-man roster
Ex-Giant lands on a division rival’s roster
By Chris Pflum@RaptormkII Oct 9, 2018, 3:12pm EDT

Robert Deutsch-USA TODAY Sports
The Dallas Cowboys are signing former New York Giants safety Darian Thompson to their 53-man roster.

Brandon George
✔
@DMN_George
The Cowboys are signing Arizona Cardinals practice squad S Darian Thompson to their active roster, per source.

The Giants drafted Thompson in the third round of the 2016 draft, and he started 18 games for the Giants, making 85 tackles, 6 passes defensed, and 1 interception. Thompson was a surprisingly waived after the final pre-season game when the team decided to go with former cornerback Curtis Riley as their free safety.

Thompson was injured in preseason and the Giants seemingly wanted a converted cornerback as a free safety, moving Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to the position before waiving him and they tried William Gay there as well.

The third-year safety landed on the Arizona Cardinals’ practice squad after being waived as a part of the massive roster turnover that came with final cutdowns.

The Giants won’t see the Cowboys, and Thompson (assuming he is still healthy and on their 53-man roster) until the final game of the season.

I like the move. I really liked Thompson in college. Big time ballhawk. But then he ran a really shitty forty at the combine and I thought he would drop like a rock in the draft. The Giants took him anyway in the third round. I like the signing.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Dez Bryant responds to Jerry Jones 'No. 1 WR' comment
ByPATRIK WALKER

Dez Bryant has responded, on cue.

Not long after Jerry Jones made an eyebrow-raising comment regarding the Dallas Cowboys' wide receiver situation that included what could be interpreted as a veiled shot at wide receiver Bryant, the All-Pro fired up his Twitter account to clarify a few things. It's a saga that's been ongoing since December 2017, when Bryant politely criticized the offensive scheme and how it fails to routinely set him up for success. He'd find himself released four months later, but that wasn't the end of the soap opera. Instead, it was the true beginning, both sides heaving comments -- either indirectly or directly -- at each other.

Jones' latest one was sure to get a rise out of his former pro bowler.

"First of all, a true No. 1 you saw one the other night," Jones said. "You see Julio Jones, you see players like that. In my mind, every team doesn't have a true No. 1 receiver. When you put it in that class, those guys that just absolutely change the ball game with where they are. And that hasn't been our case for several years here that we've had a true No. 1.

"Not a true No. 1."

Bryant caught wind of the comment, as he usually does, and replied with a double-down on his December comments that now include a bit of a warning for current and future wideouts who may come in under the current coaching regime.

"As a receiver playing for the Dallas Cowboys, your mind [has] to be right, because you will never see targets like [Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham, Jr. or DeAndre Hopkins] or none of those guys," he tweeted. "I was never schemed into things. I made things happen throughout my career. I’m Mr. 73.

"They had [Jason] Witten as our No. 1, so Jerry is right."

The reference to 73 being his total career touchdown tally, the highest in Cowboys' franchise history.

"Don’t look at this as a negative," said Bryant, adding context to his words. "Teams have different schemes."

The one the Cowboys are currently operating under has remained outdated with very few adaptations, a key reason even with Bryant no longer in the fold, other wideouts are having a difficult time putting up numbers. Cole Beasley currently leads the team in 2018 with only 193 receiving yards, previously operating at an aberrantly positive click before the Week 5 los to the Houston Texans, where his first catch didn't come until overtime.

COMMENTS
Additionally, it was running back Ezekiel Elliott who led the team in receiving one week prior, and no wideout has broken the 100-yard single game mark since Bryant reeled in 132 yards on nine catches against the Green Bay Packers in the 2016 NFC Divisional Round, and the current stable of WRs have a total of only three receiving TDs in 2018 -- one of them being a shovel pass.

It can be argued if Jones is correct or not, but it's difficult to call Bryant a liar here

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Yeah, and for all the blame the coaching staff deserves, better playcalling is simply not gonna fix this.

Maybe a better QB coach could help... with mechanics and giving him insight on the sidelines. Obviously Garrett and/or Linehan is still responsible for that poor hire.

But just in terms of "the coaches are too bland" -- I mean, this is the part where it's just obvious that better playcalling or more complex playcalls won't help Prescott. In fact, it'd probably hurt him if he's asked to do more complex stuff.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I believe this to an extent. I also believe that Bryant never had the smarts or route running chops to be "AB" or "OBJ" or "D Hop."

But I also believe that Witten had the staff's ear and was overused especially later in his career. And while I love Witten, for him to demand that much focus in gameplanning, and then to walk away on us.... bad form.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

The guy is just armchair. F him.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I've always looked at the QB position in the same manner. Which is why very early one I strongly believed Baker Mayfield was the best QB in the 2018 draft. It's also why I I never understood the love-fest with Josh Allen.

As for Dak, it's pretty obvious that he'll likely never be a strong pocket passer capable of carving teams up with accurate throws on a consistent basis, but that doesn't mean you can't have success with QBs like Dak. It takes having a coaching staff willing to buck traditional thinking and embrace a non-traditional style of NFL play calling.

We've said it several time on this board......instead of trying to force the square peg through the round hole, Dallas should be tailoring their offense to their QB's strengths like Carolina has done with Cam Newton. But for some reason Cowboys coaches and management have dug in their heels on this issue and refuse to budge.

p1_

DCC 4Life

p1_

DCC 4Life

p1_

DCC 4Life

p1_

DCC 4Life

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There are about a half dozen or more Cowboys that should go in ahead of him.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm willing to bet that once Garrett is finally fired in Dallas there won't be a single team in the NFL willing to hire him as HC or OC. He's not a desirable commodity.

The best I could see him doing is landing a job as a QB coach.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'm willing to bet that once Garrett is finally fired in Dallas there won't be a single team in the NFL willing to hire him as HC or OC. He's not a desirable commodity.

Saban will hire him as OC for his next reclamation project

DLK150

DCC 4Life

Yeah, he went from being one of the hotter coaching commodities to a bust in a pretty short window of time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Did anyone expect anything else? Not I. The old moron couldn't see the forest for the trees if you dropped him in the middle by helicopter.

Which actually sounds like a good idea...
We have posters on this forum who have essentially felt the same way about Dak. I raised questions about him a long time ago when he was on his second year slide and one would have thought I was raping their daughter. Jones is just trying to defend his decision to prematurely crown Dak before he actually proved himself. A lot of people bought in before the real test results were in.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
We have posters on this forum who have essentially felt the same way about Dak. I raised questions about him a long time ago when he was on his second year slide and one would have thought I was raping their daughter. Jones is just trying to defend his decision to prematurely crown Dak before he actually proved himself. A lot of people bought in before the real test results were in.
I was on the bandwagon after his rookie season, I'll admit that. It didn't take long for me to jump off it though, starting last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom