Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lewis “Exception to the Rule”
Saturday, May 12, 2018 3:29 PM CDT

By Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

@nickeatman
FRISCO, Texas – All coaches are different in their own ways, but similar in the fact they typically like what they like. And if worked pretty well before, you can bet the coach will try to do the same, even if he’s at a new place.

Enter Kris Richard as the Cowboys’ new defensive backs coach. He not only coached DBs in Seattle, but was the Seahawks’ defensive coordinator during the team’s successful run that included two Super Bowl appearances.

Of course, who doesn’t remember the Legion of Boom secondary, which included several Pro Bowls among players such as Richard Sherman, Cam Chancellor and Earl Thomas.

While the Seahawks had a lot of talented defensive backs, most of them had the same look to them. It’s no secret Richard prefers bigger cornerbacks, with height, bulk, long arms, on top of the ability to run, cut and of course, cover the receivers.

“It’s just a part of the system,” Richard said Saturday in the middle of a three-day rookie minicamp at The Star. “There are certain individuals who fit a certain profile who have historically worked better in this scheme. The more guys we can get of that nature, of that stature, of that build, the better we think we can be.”

When asked specifically why the bigger cornerbacks fit his scheme better, Richard wasted no time with his answer.

“Length. Strength. Create issues at the line of scrimmage,” he said. “We want to cause as many problems for an offense before the ball is even snapped. So if we’re up there at the line of scrimmage and we’re making you think about where you need to go and how you’re going to get around me, then it’s a whole lot better than you just thinking about getting around me.”

It’s not a coincidence Byron Jones was quickly moved from safety to cornerback after Richard took over. In fact, the DB coach said he scouted Jones as a cornerback when he was with the Seahawks and Jones was coming out of UConn.

Yes, prototypical (corner),” Richard said of Jones. “Fantastic athlete. Great height, size, length, speed. Everything is there. He has a great attitude. He’s been working hard from day 1. I’m happy to be around him.”
However, the Cowboys didn’t even draft a cornerback or safety for the first time since 1999. So it’s not like Richard is turning the positon over completely. In fact, when asked about second-year cornerback Jourdan Lewis, who is listed at 5-10, 195, Richard certainly has a place for him.

“Well every now and then there’s an exception to the rule,” Richard said with a huge smile. “So you’re grateful to have and take those exceptions. (Lewis) is an exception. There aren’t many guys who battle in the fashion that he does. That’s what makes him special. He’s tenacious. He has good enough length. He is quick. He anticipates. He’s smart. He’s relentless. Those are the exceptions.”

At the end of the day, Richard just wants physical defensive backs who can be aggressive, get their hands on the ball and get some turnovers.

He’s not going to turn his head to anyone who can do that. But he certainly likes what he likes.

_______

I'm so excited with what he is doing with our DBs. I'm really excited to see it next year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboysrock55 said:
“We want to cause as many problems for an offense before the ball is even snapped. So if we’re up there at the line of scrimmage and we’re making you think about where you need to go and how you’re going to get around me, then it’s a whole lot better than you just thinking about getting around me.”
Man, this is good to hear.

Cotton

Staff member
I can't remember in what thread we were discussing this, but here is the reason they are called web backs...

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Gotta have the horses to do it. Time will tell.

But the soft coverage scheme was probably an extension of Garrett's passive philosophy -- not playing to win but playing not to lose.

Wonder if somehow that will carry over to the offense and decisions on 4h and short from the opponents 45 yard line.

Cotton

Staff member

Oh my goodness.

As an aside, Beasley is pretty good at this rap thing. I was impressed.

(enter: Boozeman)

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Gotta have the horses to do it. Time will tell.

But the soft coverage scheme was probably an extension of Garrett's passive philosophy -- not playing to win but playing not to lose.

Wonder if somehow that will carry over to the offense and decisions on 4h and short from the opponents 45 yard line.
I doubt it -- we played press when Rob Ryan was here, then switched to zone with Marinelli's arrival. Hasn't seemed to have much effect, other than who the coordinator is.

Cotton

Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
0, 0, 2, 3

All I see.
I don’t believe this for a second, Bipo. If we didn’t appreciate the great plays and games none of us would be fans and definitely not on this site.

Roger’s Hail Mary happened in a playoff run where we didn’t win the Superbowl. Doesn’t diminish the awesomeness one iota.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Roger is shrinking. He was absolutely taller than Romo back in the day.

Cotton

Staff member

Interesting that we had Cedrick Wilson ahead of DJ Moore on our board.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Interesting that we had Cedrick Wilson ahead of DJ Moore on our board.
That's a PFF ranking.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Cowboys have worst group of receivers in the NFL, according to ESPN's Matthew Berry

By Peter Dawson
pdawson@star-telegram.com
May 21, 2018 04:48 PM

Matthew Berry, ESPN's top fantasy football analyst, does not think very highly of the Cowboys' current collection of wide receivers.

Frisco police arrested Cowboys receiver Terrance Williams early Saturday morning on a charge of public intoxication (police found his Lamborghini crashed into a light pole). Williams might lose his job, but Berry's assessment existed before that incident transpired.

Here's how Berry responded when a fan asked him if the Cowboys have the worst receiving corps in the league on Twitter.

As a fantasy analyst, Berry's main focus is statistical productivity. But the talent of the players also factors into his analysis. A short while later on Twitter, he stood by his take. Here was his response to a fan who claimed the Bills have the worst pass-catching unit.

And when another fan claimed the Jets, 49ers, Dolphins, and Bills roster worse receiving corps, this was Berry's response.

This offseason, owner and general manager Jerry Jones released Dez Bryant and traded Ryan Switzer to the Oakland Raiders.

Meanwhile, veteran tight end Jason Witten decided to retire.

To replace those pieces, the front office signed wide receivers Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson in free agency. The franchise also acquired wideout Tavon Austin in a trade from the Los Angeles Rams.

At the 2018 NFL Draft, the team selected wide receivers Michael Gallup and Cedrick Wilson.

The Cowboys signed Gallup to a four-year contract Monday, putting the team's 2018 NFL Draft class under contract for the upcoming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom