2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

data

Forbes #1
Just random ho-hum pre-draft speculation that Beasley could be cut after the draft. Doubt it but there's not much news these days so...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-heres-why-these-veterans-could-be-potential-post-draft-roster-cuts/
Beasely would be the luckiest guy in the world. Gets signed by Patriots to replace Amendola and Plays in Super Bowl while circustown Cowboys sit at home watching All or Nothing reruns.

Beasely probably put the rumor out himself.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I wonder if there's been some Beasley shopping going on.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It'd be pretty stupid to cut Beasley at this point.
Only after fair competition in camp at this point.

Switzer should not be made to feel safe, and in turn Beasley. By seasons start there should be no reason to fricking keep both.

We’re not the god damned Patriots and won’t ever be.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If Switzer is a good punt returner then that's a good reason to keep both.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Switzer is a good punt returner then that's a good reason to keep both.
Even if another candidate legit beats him out as a receiver?

Switzer and Beasley had a little over 350 yards combined as a position. Do we need two players, Hell two active roster slots for that?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if another candidate legit beats him out as a receiver?

Switzer and Beasley had a little over 350 yards combined as a position. Do we need two players, Hell two active roster slots for that?
Do you have a better returner? Because we also need a good punt returner. If Switzer can continue to improve in that area he sticks around. Plus Beasley is gone after this year. So if it's close I'd just cut Beasley and go with Switzer. If someone else is a better slot guy than Switzer, they need their value to exceed his as a slot guy AND returner.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Do you have a better returner? Because we also need a good punt returner. If Switzer can continue to improve in that area he sticks around. Plus Beasley is gone after this year. So if it's close I'd just cut Beasley and go with Switzer. If someone else is a better slot guy than Switzer, they need their value to exceed his as a slot guy AND returner.
And there you have it.

Bottom line it’s hard to see another year burning two active slots on the same position we used mostly as a safety blanket during our new QBs salad days.

Time to load the position with actual WRs, like the Steelers do year after year. You don’t see them trying to imitate the fricking Patriots.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Given Dak's strengths and tendencies, I could see putting Switzer and Beasley on the field as double slots.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given Dak's strengths and tendencies, I could see putting Switzer and Beasley on the field as double slots.
If that will prevent defenses from doubling up on Beasley I'd be cool with it. Dak is money throwing to Beasley and teams knew that and adjusted last year. They took away the option route by bracketing him. I'm not sure if running double option routes would work or prevent that but I'd be open to the idea. Just not sure what that would look like.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I’m not cutting any receiver until after the damn draft. Just so damn stupid to do so.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Beasely would be the luckiest guy in the world. Gets signed by Patriots to replace Amendola and Plays in Super Bowl while circustown Cowboys sit at home watching All or Nothing reruns.

Beasely probably put the rumor out himself.
Darn tootin'. I recall a guy named Edelman who played QB in college, wasn't invited to the combine but drafted #232 overall by NE. If memory serves, he did pretty damn well at WR and a punt returner. Went to two SBs.

Wonder why Plowboys can't leverage the skills of a guy like Beaseley or Edelman or Amendola, etc.

Nothing wrong with imitating NE. Imitate success -- vs. dismal failure over a quarter century.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Darn tootin'. I recall a guy named Edelman who played QB in college, wasn't invited to the combine but drafted #232 overall by NE. If memory serves, he did pretty damn well at WR and a punt returner. Went to two SBs.

Wonder why Plowboys can't leverage the skills of a guy like Beaseley or Edelman or Amendola, etc.

Nothing wrong with imitating NE. Imitate success -- vs. dismal failure over a quarter century.
It's a kick in the crotch that we had Amendola on the squad for a year but chose to cut him in favor of Sam Hurd and Isaiah Stanback.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Because you can't imitate Tom Brady. Which is the only way that cluster works.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's a kick in the crotch that we had Amendola on the squad for a year but chose to cut him in favor of Sam Hurd and Isaiah Stanback.
They cut him over a muffed punt in a preseason game and because Garrett said he couldn't play outside. A decade later, we have Beasley and Switzer doing the same thing.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
They cut him over a muffed punt in a preseason game and because Garrett said he couldn't play outside. A decade later, we have Beasley and Switzer doing the same thing.
It's a very confusing process.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Because you can't imitate Tom Brady. Which is the only way that cluster works.

[/B] Brady was a 6th round pick. Somebody taught him how to play QB. Not saying you can plug in a Tom Brady at QB all around the league. But how does anybody explain a QB like Garoppolo, a 2nd round NE pick. Seems like lots of "clusters" work in NE. Brady doesn't play the game all by himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom