Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. I hate when the 35 and up crowd chastise guys who are in their early-20s for having the audacity to go out and enjoy the nightlife. Even more ridiculous when the criticism occurs during the offseason.

I used to defend Manziel back in 2014 when they'd pile on him for going to Vegas and such in June. He wouldn't be causing trouble or anything but some random club goer would recognize him and snap a quick photo which would result in an onslaught of criticism from 40 and 50-something year old journalists slamming him nonstop just because a 22 year old had the nerve to go to a club during his off time.

Newsflash, people, most people who are 25 and under haven't reached that stage in their life where a nice Saturday is "going to go to Home Depot. Buying some wallpaper, maybe some flooring, and maybe a trip to Bed, Bath, & Beyond if there's time." (Old School reference)
Yeah if it was the night before a big game I'd feel totally different. But we are talking about the offseason. Preseason games don't even start for weeks. This isn't taking a Cabo trip right before a big game. Or in the Giants case going out on a boat in Miami doing drugs right before a playoff game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep it was pretty obvious and should be expected. The guy was coming back from a catostrophic knee injury. You can't expect him to run and move perfectly right away. It's going to take time to build confidence in his abilities again.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Let’s hope that trend continues.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
https://mobile.twitter.com/benrogers/status/1023032688360468480?s=21

Ben Rogers
@BenRogers
I’ve talked to numerous Cowboys players -some current, some now gone- who echo these exact sentiments. Romo’s brilliance with audibles/adjustments at the line covered up play-calling deficiencies for years. Tough for inexp’d QBs to do that. Loss of Romo’s audibles exposed Linehan
It's funny because for the longest time as fans we bitched about that very fact. That Romo had too much freedom and he went totally pass happy with that freedom.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's funny because for the longest time as fans we bitched about that very fact. That Romo had too much freedom and he went totally pass happy with that freedom.
True some did but not me. It was pretty obvious that the games went much better for us when Romo went rogue.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
True some did but not me. It was pretty obvious that the games went much better for us when Romo went rogue.
Six of one, half dozen of another though.

He may have covered up for some unoriginality, but he also no doubt audibles out of runs a significant portion of the time (though not without reason).

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Six of one, half dozen of another though.

He may have covered up for some unoriginality, but he also no doubt audibles out of runs a significant portion of the time (though not without reason).
Not to be anal, but isn't it: "Six to one, half dozen to another"?

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
I've never heard it said your way.
Yeah, I've heard it both ways.

But, just to make my point...

if you put 6 footballs on the ground and ask 2 people how many there are, one says "6" and the other says "half a dozen". Both mean the same, both are equal.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's hard because I think some of what helped our offense in Dak's rookie year is that he stuck with what the coaches called unlike Romo had done much of his career. But at the same time when you have a bad play call and the defense knows what you're doing you have to trust your QB to fix the offense. I think in Dak's year two defenses saw us as extremely predictable. Dak needs to be able to do a little of what Romo did. Maybe just not as pass happy.

The longer Dak is our starter the more comfortable he will be sort of fixing the coaches mistakes like that. Or maybe he never will. Who knows.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I've mentioned a couple of times that it seemed like we got off to a lot of slow starts largely due to the anemic game plan that Garrett and his staff pieced together. Seemed like a majority of the time it took the Cowboys 3 or 4 possessions to get things going on offense.

Since most teams script their first 15 or so plays, I chalked it up to the original game plan being ineffective and figured once we got past Garrett and Linehan's scripted garbage, Romo would begin to run the offense on his own and things would begin to click.

I'm bored so tonight I'm going to go see if I can backup my theory by looking at the box scores from the 2013 and 2014 season. My early guess is that the Cowboys' offense usually didn't score their first TD until the 2nd quarter on average.

I'll post the results later.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I've mentioned a couple of times that it seemed like we got off to a lot of slow starts largely due to the anemic game plan that Garrett and his staff pieced together. Seemed like a majority of the time it took the Cowboys 3 or 4 possessions to get things going on offense.

Since most teams script their first 15 or so plays, I chalked it up to the original game plan being ineffective and figured once we got past Garrett and Linehan's scripted garbage, Romo would begin to run the offense on his own and things would begin to click.

I'm bored so tonight I'm going to go see if I can backup my theory by looking at the box scores from the 2013 and 2014 season. My early guess is that the Cowboys' offense usually didn't score their first TD until the 2nd quarter on average.

I'll post the results later.
I'm betting you are correct.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I actually looked at the 2012 and 2013 seasons. Below I've listed the point in the game when the Cowboys scored their first points of games. If the first points came via a FG, I listed the first TD scored in parenthesis next to it.

The 2012 season was about what I suspected. The Cowboys managed to score 1st quarter TDs in only 4 of 16 games. Their first TD typically wasn't scored until they were well into the 2nd quarter.

The 2013 season was actually a little better than expected. They actually scored offensive TDs in the 1st quarter of 8 games.

2012 Season:

2nd Qtr 01:01
2nd Qtr 12:09
1st Qtr 1:22
2nd Qtr 00:14
1st Qtr 03:18
2nd Qtr 14:16 (First TD scored 3rd Qtr 07:38)
2nd Qtr 05:22
1st Qtr 10:46 (First TD scored 4th Qtr 05:21)
1st Qtr 02:13
3rd Qtr 04:16 (First TD scored 4th Qtr 13:49)
1st Qtr 09:17 (First TD scored 3rd Qtr 01:24)
2nd Qtr 13:34 (First TD scored 2nd Qtr 00:41)
1st Qtr 02:13
1st Qtr 08:36 (First TD scored 2nd Qtr 11:02)
2nd Qtr 12:47
2nd Qtr 07:49

2013 Season:

1st Qtr 13:04 (First TD scored 2nd Qtr 02:55)
1st Qtr 05:02 (First TD scored 1st Qtr 00:36)
1st Qtr 7:06
2nd Qtr 13:10
1st Qtr 08:06
1st Qtr 8:52
2nd Qtr 03:17 (First TD scored 3rd Qtr 09:17)
2nd Qtr 05:39 (First TD scored 2nd Qtr 00:46)
1st Qtr 06:51 (First TD scored 3rd Qtr 11:38)
1st Qtr 08:14 (First TD scored 2nd Qtr 14:05)
2nd Qtr 09:37 (A defensive TD was scored in the 1st Qtr)
1st Qtr 00:43
1st Qtr 09:02
1st Qtr 10:56 (First TD scored 1st Qtr 00:28)
1st Qtr 12:49
2nd Qtr 08:16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom