2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I mean this right here is kinda tedious:
It definitely is digging deep, but we do that here. Pro Football Reference is a very good site.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

Staff member

Something to consider, for sure.

Cotton

Staff member
Just FYI, the NFLN is replaying the Cowboys/Eagles game from week 10 right now.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Something to consider, for sure.
Yea, it's something we've all been saying around these parts for years.

Garrett's offense is basically a shitty version of Norv Turner's offense.

There's no in-between with Garrett's shitty scheme. It's really short or really long. And when he feels the pressure, he always goes to the deeper stuff even if we're struggling to block.

This will always be a problem until either Garrett is fired or he's forced to hand the offense over to someone who is allowed to finally install their own system.

Cotton

Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
PFF is complete garbage for a lot of reasons, but that's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

What irks me the most is that they hold themselves out as if they do some sort of deep and advanced statistical analysis. It's horseshit. They make subjective observations and create subjective categories and pretend it's fact.

Fuck that site and anyone that believes in them. They are the anal warts of football analysis.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I mean, if I was running a football analysis site and whatever formula I invented turned up with a player like Elliott 30th at his position, I'd scrap the whole thing and start over from scratch. You can't put that out there or believe in your formula if you have a shred of integrity.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
PFF is complete garbage for a lot of reasons, but that's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

What irks me the most is that they hold themselves out as if they do some sort of deep and advanced statistical analysis. It's horseshit. They make subjective observations and create subjective categories and pretend it's fact.

Fuck that site and anyone that believes in them. They are the anal warts of football analysis.
Yeah that's the problem is it is all subjective. They can't calculate if a RB's patience allowed a hole to open up to get 4 yards compared to a RB who plows in there right away and gets zero. They probably score both guys the same. Zeke does a really good job of setting his blocks up and hitting the hole hard. His stats show that out. And I seriously doubt our run blocking is just that superior to the rest of the NFL. Not this year at least.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Sturm said:
sort of bizarre in those 2006 and 2007 playoff losses that we have suggested those were games where "Dallas played well enough to win" and yet they were below 5 yards a play and below 185 yards passing. We might view those numbers differently this weekend.
Come on though, Bob. You know it was a much different league then. The offensive numbers have exploded in the last 10 (or even five) years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Come on though, Bob. You know it was a much different league then. The offensive numbers have exploded in the last 10 (or even five) years.
That's not entirely true. In 2007 teams scored on average 21.7 points. Last season in 2017 teams on average scored 21.7 points. The massive difference is just this season. Otherwise it's not that dramatic over the last 15 years.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Ok, this season then. Regardless, all these offensive records aren't falling because the players are just that much better or defensive players are so much worse.

Anyway, to add... Since 2006, average passing YPG has gone from 204.8 to 237.8. Average completion percentage from 59.8 to 64.9. Average passer rating from 80.4 to 92.9.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, this season then. Regardless, all these offensive records aren't falling because the players are just that much better or defensive players are so much worse.

Anyway, to add... Since 2006, average passing YPG has gone from 204.8 to 237.8. Average completion percentage from 59.8 to 64.9. Average passer rating from 80.4 to 92.9.
Offenses are more innovative. Well except ours. We still run the same 90s stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom