2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Also explains why he goes ballistic in the pocket. He has never had to hang around in it until he became a pro. It’s a foreign thing to him and he just freezes there all the while his instincts tell him to run but his brain says hold tight. He is at war with himself on almost every passing situation and it obviously plays havoc with his natural throwing skill. Thats probably why some of his short throws go in the dirt or over the receivers head.
Which is why I think he could have it coached out of him and would love to see what he would look like with a different coaching staff.

Cotton

Staff member
Very true. A few more effective runs a game gives the defense something else to think about. Too much though, and you get diminishing returns. And on top of that it takes away from the top playmakers like Cooper and Elliott.
100% agreed. But, it has to be an option the defense has to plan for, instead of this vanilla bullshit we roll out.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I agree with everything you said. Dak's legs are a weapon and they should be used but you also can't run him for 2,500 yards like he did in college. You just need to use his legs enough that the defense has to respect his ability to run and it can help open up other stuff on offense. Which we don't do with any regularity. Which I think most of us realize is because we have an unimaginative offensive coordinator combined with a rigid system that doesn't seem to have any flexibility.
He does seem to throw the ball better in general when he has options to pull the ball down and run or runs the RPO.

He’’s not a Lamar Jackson build and with the new rules he probably doesn’t have any more of a chance of getting tattooed on the run than in the pocket.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't really buy this. I think Irving is just a lazy sand bagger who has been enabled by this organization. The guy is just flat out lazy and this organization has made him feel like that's ok.

Cotton

Staff member
I ran the numbers for those 3 games. Below are the results of those drives. We have scored 1 TD in 6 drives inside the RZ in 3 games.

Cotton

Staff member
GOAL TO GO SITUATIONS:

Cotton

Staff member
Ran the number for when we got inside an opponents 10 yard line (goal to go) and we have not scored on single TD in the last 3 games when we have been in GTG situations.

Cotton

Staff member
Bored at work, so decided to go back 6 games. In GOAL TO GO situations over the last 6 games we have had 13 drives where we have gotten inside to opponents 10 yard line. We have only scored a TD on 5 of those drives. 38.5% TD rate inside the fucking 10!

Cotton

Staff member
Also, we have only run the ball 33% of the time inside the 10. Unreal.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They have all been in the middle and the opponents knew it was going to be Elliot in the middle because in the Red Zone they usually don’t send him on the perimeter.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I don't really buy this. I think Irving is just a lazy sand bagger who has been enabled by this organization. The guy is just flat out lazy and this organization has made him feel like that's ok.
what works for Taco doesnt work for Irving? Meritocracy be damned.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's what I was going to get to.

And when we do give the ball to Zeke, it's typically out of the shotgun.

I do not understand why this staff thinks it's a great idea to run power football with Zeke everywhere except within the 10 yard line in goal-to-go situations.

It's why I'm glad they got shutout the other day -- the offense and playcalling as a whole remains a major issue and it needs to be addressed in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom