2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1_

DCC 4Life

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah I hate to say it but I sort of feel like the team. I'm not looking ahead towards the playoffs yet. We need to beat the Eagles next week and sure up the division. Even as a fan I'm sort of taking this thing one game at a time. I'm just hoping we can get hot at the right time. If we cool down now none of this will matter.
we're streaking right now, and the defense is cranking up the heat. If the offense could just keep up.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Two words: Derwin James

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Not bad with a below average QB.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
That is what I used to say.
Just some games You just have to relish. That defensive effort last night was too awesome to waste time complaining over whatifs and couldhaves. Just enjoy it. I'm not even going to say anything bad about Garrett.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

That is fucking crazy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meh, I think the kid in Indy should win it. He doesn't have overrated high draft pedigree or a cool name like "Derwin James", but he just gets the job done on a very underrated team.
I'm biased but LVE to me is just a more impactful player. But the guy in Indy has the flashy stats. 6 sacks, and Int and 4 forced fumbles for Darius Leonard. Bradley Chubb has 9 sacks as well so he will be in the discussion.

Regardless LVE looks like a young Urlacher. The awards don't mean much. I doubt Wentz cares that Dak was offensive rookie of the year.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cowboys' Travis Frederick sees hope, progress after 'scary' Guillain-Barre Syndrome diagnosis
JORI EPSTEIN | USA TODAY | 2:28 pm EST November 16, 2018

Travis Frederick just wanted to put Oliver and Kensington to bed.

He’d always carried his young son and daughter up the stairs.

Then the Dallas Cowboys center returned home from the hospital in August, fresh off his diagnosis and spinal tap treatment for Guillain-Barre Syndrome, the autoimmune disorder that had ambushed his football career and sapped his strength.

“Not being able to carry my kids upstairs to bed – certain things change the way you look at life,” Frederick told USA TODAY Sports in a phone interview Thursday. “Not knowing how bad it’d be.

“It was pretty scary there.”

It was scary for a while.

Dallas Cowboys center Travis Frederick (72) leaves the field after the game against the Miami Dolphins at AT&T Stadium.
Dallas Cowboys center Travis Frederick (72) leaves the field after the game against the Miami Dolphins at AT&T Stadium.
TIM HEITMAN, USA TODAY SPORTS
Frederick lost feeling in his hands and feet. His hips lost the strength to stabilize his walk, so he limped, which put extra pressure on his back. He lost about 18 pounds. And he lost the sense of camaraderie with the offensive line group for which he became an anchor in four Pro Bowl seasons since Dallas drafted him in 2013.

Suddenly, Frederick identified with what Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo referred to after his 2016 career-ending collarbone fracture as “a dark place, probably the darkest it’s ever been.”

And not just dark.

“I would say it is a dark and lonely feeling,” Frederick said. “There’s nothing like the brotherhood of being able to play, work and sacrifice with the guys.

“And all of a sudden, you’re taken from that. And someone else is doing it in your place.”

Two and a half months later, it’s an adjustment that Frederick has embraced.

Dallas’ October 29 bye week was a turning point.

It was then that Frederick, whom the Cowboys placed on injured reserve Oct. 6, was able to finally lift heavier weights. For two months he worked simply to maintain strength and combat muscle atrophy.

More: USA TODAY Sports' Week 11 NFL picks: Split opinions on Chiefs-Rams and many more matchups

More: Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes offered lifetime supply of Heinz ketchup if he gets 57 touchdowns

And when the Cowboys fired offensive line coach Paul Alexander, Frederick’s role as player-coach became way more than just a way to keep a sidelined captain occupied.

In the return from the bye week, before the Cowboys’ Monday Night game vs. the Titans on Nov. 5, Frederick finally experienced progress.

He and right guard Zack Martin for years have played catch in pregame warmups.

In September, Frederick couldn’t throw far. He couldn’t catch Martin’s passes. He moved gingerly to retrieve balls.

Before the Titans game, Frederick moved with renewed vigor. He threw a spiral 25 yards.

“Now I can zing the ball better,” Frederick said, “put spin on it, finally, which is good.”

His hands and feet no longer tingle. The numbness is now contained to his fingers and toes, a reduction that’s one of the few measurable ways Frederick has been able to track progress with a rare condition (about one in 100,000 is affected by it, according to the National Institutes of Health).

“But (the recovery) has to take me back to being at professional level,” Frederick said. “There’s not a lot of data on that.”

So Frederick has redefined his goals, opting not to pursue even a general target for his return. He’s confident he can do one day make a comeback. But he’s also adamant that getting back to action too early risks not only own injury for himself, but could potentially endanger quarterback Dak Prescott or running back Ezekiel Elliott as well.

So instead he’s traded his uniform – for now – for a headset, communicating between box and sideline coaches, charting defensive plays and integrating instantaneous adjustments.

“I take pride knowing I’m helping the team win still,” he said.

And how’s a football IQ coaches describe as the highest in the building learning from a new vantage point?

“It’s certainly been very helpful,” Frederick said. “It’s not something I’d ever suggest anybody does. But I’ve been able to see the game in a different light, see it from a different angle and it’s helped me not only see how defense react but also technically how I want to approach certain blocks – how I could do it better.”

Frederick, who is one of 1,300 NFL players this season to receive a Sleep Number 360 Smart Bed, said getting biometric data on his sleep habits has helped him to improve on rest and recovery.

And after what he endured earlier this year, any sign of progress helps him see a brighter future.

“Early on, when things were going downhill, the changes and improvements were so minute it was hard to quantify,” Frederick said. “(Now) I can tell that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

“I know the light is a long way away, but I can at least see the glimmer.”

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Good read on Frederick. That has to be some scary shit, especially for a guy that makes his money playing football that has been playing the game for years.

p1_

DCC 4Life
what a great player Frederick is. I hope he fully recovers, his value to this line cant be overstated. I believe he's adding value as an added coach. I think he's more intelligent and articulate than Garrett even.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I don’t really care if he plays again. I hope he gets his life back. That part about not being blue to carry his kids to bed, that’s a real eye opener.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t really care if he plays again. I hope he gets his life back. That part about not being blue to carry his kids to bed, that’s a real eye opener.
Yeah my guess is he is back far enough to live a mostly normal life. But like he said, there is a big difference from doing normal stuff to being an athlete at the highest level. I had no idea that it got as bad as it did. Glad to see he is starting be able to do normal every day stuff again like throw a football.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, this story is not what we were told back when this happened.

It would be kinda devastating if he can’t come back next year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, this story is not what we were told back when this happened.

It would be kinda devastating if he can’t come back next year.
I think he will for sure be back next year. Just loves the game too much. But I'm losing faith that there is any chance for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom