2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah this is sort of my fear. With a cheap Dak we can afford to surround him with a great line, weapons and a defense. But if he is making 25 mil a year which seems like the going rate for even decent QBs you have to wonder if it sort of forces us into a rut of being a Bengals type team stuck with an average QB.

Honestly I think that's part of the problem the Vikings are going to face now. Cousins is a good QB but he is kind of a dink and dunker. With a cheap QB they could afford to keep that defense stacked but with his massive contract I'm not sure the Vikes will be able to keep the ship together. An elite QB is worth every penny of a mega deal but that's because they can get by with average receivers, RBs, O-lineman and so on. But if your QB isn't in that elite group you're almost better off just starting over with a new young QB. This isn't a problem unique to Dallas. You see it league wide with teams who sign decent starters to big time deals. It's why a team like the Ravens realized they are better off drafting a young QB because they can't put the pieces around Flacco at 25 mil a year but they can get out of his contract soon and save good money.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, that's a huge indictment of us right now. Zero ability to score quickly.

Of course, that's on Prescott too.
What you need to be able to do is both. You need to be able to slow things down and drain the clock with a lead. Those 14 play drives are absolutely killer if you have a lead and you can milk the clock away and limit the oppositions possessions. But you also need to be able to speed things up and get a substantial lead in the first place. You also need the ability to speed things up so that if you fall behind by a couple scores it's not a big deal. You watch the Chiefs and Rams game and there were so many times a team was able to get a two score lead but neither team tried to slow things down and eat the clock. Or if they did try they failed miserably at it.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
If Jones is dead set on extending him, it better be loaded with performance based incentives.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dak would have to get an Andy Dalton type deal for it to make even a modicum of sense.
Yeah 15 mil a year that Dalton is getting would allow us to still make moves. I'm not sure any sports agent could be talked into it just because of the stupid money other QBs are getting now but that's really the type of deal someone like Dak should get in my opinion. But I also know it's just not the going rate anymore.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Jones is dead set on extending him, it better be loaded with performance based incentives.
Or allow us an out in the deal so that we could cut him and not screw the cap if we needed to. I feel like the 49ers deal with Kaepernick was sort of that way.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Or allow us an out in the deal so that we could cut him and not screw the cap if we needed to. I feel like the 49ers deal with Kaepernick was sort of that way.
I think Derek Carr's deal is like that.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Yeah 15 mil a year that Dalton is getting would allow us to still make moves. I'm not sure any sports agent could be talked into it just because of the stupid money other QBs are getting now but that's really the type of deal someone like Dak should get in my opinion. But I also know it's just not the going rate anymore.
I mean....15 million per from Jerry or a backup's contract from any other team in the league.

Seems easy to me.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean....15 million per from Jerry or a backup's contract from any other team in the league.

Seems easy to me.
Dak's better than some starters though so you know someone would sign him to be a starter. I mean shit, Tyrod Taylor is getting 16 mil this season.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
My concern is that Jerry will give Dak a long term, big money deal that will really hurt our cap. I honestly think he's just that foolish and stubborn. Building a franchise around a QB like Dak would be a huge blow to hopes of future success (short term and long term) IMO. Year by year we would watch good players go elsewhere.
Good lord, please let me be wrong on this

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My concern is that Jerry will give Dak a long term, big money deal that will really hurt our cap. I honestly think he's just that foolish and stubborn. Building a franchise around a QB like Dak would be a huge blow to hopes of future success (short term and long term) IMO. Year by year we would watch good players go elsewhere.
We finally have a good cap situation. But Jerry isn't one to just let players go either. So I'm not overly concerned about that. Jerry would just start using the credit card again to keep his guys. Preventing us from having any money to sign new ones.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
We finally have a good cap situation. But Jerry isn't one to just let players go either. So I'm not overly concerned about that. Jerry would just start using the credit card again to keep his guys. Preventing us from having any money to sign new ones.
You're not concerned he will break the bank for Dak? And in doing so, cause other players to leave within a couple of years? Its good to finally see a good cap situation. Just don't want to see this opportunity squandered.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I don't think this will happen. If it were to happen today, and you used the full body of work to judge Dak, it wouldn't merit a huge contract. And Dak has 22 more games to state his case. Thank God for the rookie contract.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're not concerned he will break the bank for Dak? And in doing so, cause other players to leave within a couple of years? Its good to finally see a good cap situation. Just don't want to see this opportunity squandered.
Oh I am concerned he will break the bank on Dak. And then for the next 7 years consider the QB position good. I'm concerned that it would mean not going after anyone in free agency like we have seen ever since Romo got his mega deal. But no I'm not concerned that he will allow guys like Lawrence, Martin, LVE, Jaylon Smith leave. Jerry will just restructure contract after contract to get those guys under the cap. It's what he always does. Which is essentially the same concept as charging something on a credit card. The bill is eventually going to come due but not for years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think this will happen. If it were to happen today, and you used the full body of work to judge Dak, it wouldn't merit a huge contract. And Dak has 22 more games to state his case. Thank God for the rookie contract.
Yeah I mean Dak isn't going to get a mega deal. He isn't going to require Kirk Cousins money.

It is funny seeing the highest paid NFL QBs though. Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garappolo, Matthew Stafford and Derek Carr are the four highest paid guys according to annual average. Kind of sad really. They may all miss the playoffs this year. The highest paid elite QB is Drew Brees coming in next at 25 mil per season and Andrew Luck right after that.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yeah this is sort of my fear. With a cheap Dak we can afford to surround him with a great line, weapons and a defense. But if he is making 25 mil a year which seems like the going rate for even decent QBs you have to wonder if it sort of forces us into a rut of being a Bengals type team stuck with an average QB.

Honestly I think that's part of the problem the Vikings are going to face now. Cousins is a good QB but he is kind of a dink and dunker. With a cheap QB they could afford to keep that defense stacked but with his massive contract I'm not sure the Vikes will be able to keep the ship together. An elite QB is worth every penny of a mega deal but that's because they can get by with average receivers, RBs, O-lineman and so on. But if your QB isn't in that elite group you're almost better off just starting over with a new young QB. This isn't a problem unique to Dallas. You see it league wide with teams who sign decent starters to big time deals. It's why a team like the Ravens realized they are better off drafting a young QB because they can't put the pieces around Flacco at 25 mil a year but they can get out of his contract soon and save good money.
The way the cap is going up combined with the guaranteed money I’m not sure what a player makes is that important anymore.

About the only way it might F everything up is a career ending injury in the first year or 2 of a contract. Smith and the Redskins are a prime example. It’s very possible Smith cannot return from that injury because of the spiral break they found during surgery.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I have been skeptical of the Byron Jones love from PFF...but this is pretty damn impressive no matter what.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

I have been skeptical of the Byron Jones love from PFF...but this is pretty damn impressive no matter what.
Holy shit.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
He's like Charlie Waters in reverse. Waters sucked as a CB and thrived as a safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom