2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I think I read someplace(not this below) that something like fifteen possessions lasted under two minutes. Something like that.

Watching that game last night was like running a 2 minute offense the entire game. It was insane.
The Rams and Chiefs were known for their ability to score quickly and that was on full display in Week 11. The longest possession of the game was six minutes and 50 seconds, a drive that ended in a field goal by the Chiefs. Other than that drive, none of the Chiefs’ possessions lasted more than three minutes and 46 seconds.

Combined, only one possession by either team lasted more than five minutes. The Rams’ longest drive was just four minutes and 45 seconds.
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/20/nfl-rams-chiefs-stats-history-records-week-11/

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I read someplace(not this below) that something like fifteen possessions lasted under two minutes. Something like that.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/20/nfl-rams-chiefs-stats-history-records-week-11/
I know when I was looking at the play clock on a lot of those snaps there was still a 20+ seconds on the play clock a lot of times. I mean both offenses were basically rushing to the line all game long to get the snap off again. It's sort of crazy when you compare that to some of these Cowboys offenses that literally let the play clock tick down to 1 second on most offensive snaps.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I know when I was looking at the play clock on a lot of those snaps there was still a 20+ seconds on the play clock a lot of times. I mean both offenses were basically rushing to the line all game long to get the snap off again. It's sort of crazy when you compare that to some of these Cowboys offenses that literally let the play clock tick down to 1 second on most offensive snaps.
It's almost like both coaches were dead set on making it a high scoring shoot out, hardly any attempt at ball control or clock management at all.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Does no one play defense anymore? Seems like most, if not all, resources are focused on offense today. I don't think there's been a defense in the past several years that can shut down these high flying offenses. Ten years ago, maybe. But not now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does no one play defense anymore? Seems like most, if not all, resources are focused on offense today. I don't think there's been a defense in the past several years that can shut down these high flying offenses. Ten years ago, maybe. But not now.
To be fair of all those points 21 of them were off defensive scores. Points are going to be high when both teams have so many possessions. I mean the defense wasn't good either but the way the offenses played so agressive and fast also contributed to a lot of points. You didn't see many 12+ play drives to sort of eat clock and control the game. It was like the opposite philosophy.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
To be fair of all those points 21 of them were off defensive scores. Points are going to be high when both teams have so many possessions. I mean the defense wasn't good either but the way the offenses played so agressive and fast also contributed to a lot of points. You didn't see many 12+ play drives to sort of eat clock and control the game. It was like the opposite philosophy.
Obviously Garrett has still not gotten the memo that todays offense isn't based on 14 play drives.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Obviously Garrett has still not gotten the memo that todays offense isn't based on 14 play drives.
The players just need to beat the man across from them

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Stacking mediocre seasons together since 2011.

p1_

DCC 4Life

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The Cowboys have honed their game to this point with the execution through the regular season process. They are playing better simply due to getting their game legs in shape so to speak. I said before the season ever started that they would have problems in the early part of the schedule this season. It has turned out exactly that way and I believe the reason is as I stated it would be because of withholding the starters from practices and preseason games. The starters just had to worrk through the process of taking reps as a team and doing it in actual playing circumstances. Garrett still hasn’t learned that old adage of practice makes so the team starts the regular season at a stage that should have been done before the regular season starts. I don’t think he will ever learn from past miistakes. He is to engrained and is reluctant to make changes.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
That i can remember, the only defenses that could shut down these high octane offenses we're the Steelers and Seahawks from the 09'-12' seasons. The 2014 Broncos probably could have done it as well. Beyond that it's pretty much been shootouts with the defenses just trying to stop the bleeding.

p1_

DCC 4Life
The Cowboys have honed their game to this point with the execution through the regular season process. They are playing better simply due to getting their game legs in shape so to speak. I said before the season ever started that they would have problems in the early part of the schedule this season. It has turned out exactly that way and I believe the reason is as I stated it would be because of withholding the starters from practices and preseason games. The starters just had to work through the process of taking reps as a team and doing it in actual playing circumstances. Garrett still hasn’t learned that old adage of practice makes so the team starts the regular season at a stage that should have been done before the regular season starts. I don’t think he will ever learn from past mistakes. He is to engrained and is reluctant to make changes.
youre correct. Add to that: 1) they didnt address the wide receiver position adequately and 2) they made a horrific hire in Alexander.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He has courage for sure.

He’s just an average passer who needs strong defensive play, great RB play, and zero turnovers to pull off wins.

Zeke has clearly been the mvp and especially the last couple of games, but the Dak cult keeps clinging to the thought that we’ve somehow found our next franchise QB in the 4th round.

Sorry, he’s average. He has his strengths but so does everyone playing QB in the NFL who’s worth a darn.

Dak’s passer rating is 22nd in the league and his team has to claw and fight to be .500.

With very good defensive play, outstanding RB play, and two elite blockers up front— more than most teams.

It’s just time to stop making excuses for him and accept what he is.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, that's a huge indictment of us right now. Zero ability to score quickly.

Of course, that's on Prescott too.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Churn, churn, churn. You need a program to keep track of roster moves this year.

It's a game of musical chairs for the injured Dallas Cowboys.

They've made several roster moves recently as they worked to bolster depth on their thinning defensive front, having ruled out several pass rushers and run stoppers in the past two weeks -- sidelined with a variety of ailments. The most recent decision was made 24 hours ahead of the Week 11 battle with the Atlanta Falcons, when the Cowboys promoted Christian Ringo to the active roster and released safety Darian Thompson to make room, having ruled out four linemen one day prior. With that game now in the rear view, things look good for the return of one or more them, most notably Antwaun Woods from a concussion.

To that end, they've reportedly released Ringo and re-signed Thompson in his place -- according to Brandon George of The Dallas Morning News -- the latter having cleared waivers initially. It'll now be the former subjected to the waiver process and considering the Cowboys have already signed him twice to the practice squad this season, he may find himself there yet again if he is still available after the 24-hour waiver period.
https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Article/Cowboys-cut-Christian-Ringo-re-sign-Darian-Thompson-vs-Redskins-125069040/?fbclid=IwAR36RJkrPCOM-av1oaDRI25Xec6o_Oahr9X4yBzaT4cixgSE8GV1Ra_xTuE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom