2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
trouble in paradise

If he's being truthful, then this is encouraging.

Hopefully it means they're willing to force those changes on Garrett and give the offense to someone else.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Some little smurf named Tre'Quan Smith ran circles around the Eagles yesterday, and last I checked, the Saints didn't fork over a first for him. Ditto Michael Thomas. I seriously doubt Cooper will have a 100 yard receiving game this year.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Some little smurf named Tre'Quan Smith ran circles around the Eagles yesterday, and last I checked, the Saints didn't fork over a first for him. Ditto Michael Thomas. I seriously doubt Cooper will have a 100 yard receiving game this year.
If he keeps stacking good practices it's bound to happen.

p1_

DCC 4Life
but I bet you Zeke's steady stream of 100+ yard rushing games will continue with Cooper in the lineup.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
but I bet you Zeke's steady stream of 100+ yard rushing games will continue with Cooper in the lineup.
yes, well, he was acquired to be a true #1 and catch a shitload of passes. firing Alexander and removing Connor Williams has more to do with Zeke's resurgence than Cooper.

p1_

DCC 4Life
yes, well, he was acquired to be a true #1 and catch a shitload of passes. firing Alexander and removing Connor Williams has more to do with Zeke's resurgence than Cooper.
i would debate both of those points.

:feedzeke

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't agree with this. You can clearly see how defenses have changed their approach to defending us. Cooper doesn't have the raw numbers we'd all like to see, but I'd pin that more on our archaic scheme and QB than anything else. But defenses still have to account for him. Which is making Zeke's job easier, and also the Oline's, considering there isn't a logjam of defenders in the box making it harder to decide who to block.

Once defenses have to pay more attention, we should see better stat results from Cooper. (we can hope, anyway. But that leads us back to the archaic scheme and QB again.)

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Smith was just drafted in the 3rd, so he isn't a nobody, and his production was clearly a function of the talent around him (Kamara/Thomas) that the Eagles were more preoccupied with.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't see the Redskins doing anything this season...Colt McCoy is a joke and their OL is in shambles. Houston let them hang around yesterday for some reason.

If the Cowboys lose Thursday to them Garrett should be canned immediately.
McCoy has mopped up on the Cowboys in the past. I really don't want to see him this week but it appears imminent.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smith was just drafted in the 3rd, so he isn't a nobody, and his production was clearly a function of the talent around him (Kamara/Thomas) that the Eagles were more preoccupied with.
Yeah Smith isn't their go to weapon usually. Guys like Kamara and Thomas are drawing the attention of two guys on a lot of plays. It's like if Gallup has a 100 yard day for Dallas, it doesn't somehow diminish giving up a first for Cooper. Gallup and Smith were similarly drafted.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
The point is that competent teams can find receivers anywhere. When's the last time a prolific team like Green Bay took one in the first round? Dallas, on the other hand, has to pay a premium.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The point is that competent teams can find receivers anywhere. When's the last time a prolific team like Green Bay took one in the first round? Dallas, on the other hand, has to pay a premium.
Because we're short on owner, GM, HC, QB coach, and QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Rams traded a first for their top wideout.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They also have a cunning head coach and a QB not afraid to throw it more than ten yards downfield.
So your theory is that this team just shouldn't bother with having weapons? No offense but that makes no sense unless you just don't want to win football games. Which it sort of what half this message board wants right now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They also have a cunning head coach and a QB not afraid to throw it more than ten yards downfield.
You're moving the goal posts, Hos. That wasn't included in your initial "When's the last time..."

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Are the Packers supposed to be an example of how to run a team?

They've been average putting a team around Rodgers and the only reason McCarthy hasn't been fired is because of how good Rodgers is. They have a top 10, maybe top 5 QB of all time and have 1 SB appearance in 10 years. Not great.

Generally speaking I agree that you don't need to spend premium resources on WR's but you better have either an elite QB or an elite offensive mind building your offense, if not both like the Saints. Clearly we have neither of those.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
So your theory is that this team just shouldn't bother with having weapons? No offense but that makes no sense unless you just don't want to win football games. Which it sort of what half this message board wants right now.
I want us to find our own weapons in rounds 2-7, not overpay for other teams' stars. Perennial winners like GB and New England believe that receivers, like RBs, can be found anywhere. Well, not in Dallas.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Are the Packers supposed to be an example of how to run a team?

They've been average putting a team around Rodgers and the only reason McCarthy hasn't been fired is because of how good Rodgers is. They have a top 10, maybe top 5 QB of all time and have 1 SB appearance in 10 years. Not great.

Generally speaking I agree that you don't need to spend premium resources on WR's but you better have either an elite QB or an elite offensive mind building your offense, if not both like the Saints. Clearly we have neither of those.
Which was another reason not to do the trade. QBs make receivers better, not vice versa. See: Tony Romo and Laurent Robinson. Cooper will never achieve his full potential with Dak under center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom