2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1_

DCC 4Life
We're definitely the favorite. Don't see how that's very debatable. Only question is how big an accomplishment that is when every other team sucks or is devastated by injury.
I don't care about accomplishment so much. I just want us to get a shot at postseason. The defense gives us a legit shot to win, and the run game is proving to be consistent with the recent line changes and Amari's impact.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I don't care about accomplishment so much. I just want us to get a shot at postseason. The defense gives us a legit shot to win, and the run game is proving to be consistent with the recent line changes and Amari's impact.
Things have only changed marginally and the first time we play against a good team, we'll have our asses handed to us, I can assure you.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Things have only changed marginally and the first time we play against a good team, we'll have our asses handed to us, I can assure you.
New Orleans should be a good measure. How they handle that juggernaut and the likely beating will tell us everything.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We're definitely the favorite. Don't see how that's very debatable. Only question is how big an accomplishment that is when every other team sucks or is devastated by injury.
Imperative that we basically run the table on the division opponents though.

Redskins have the easiest schedule and I might pick them even if they lose on Thanksgiving -- if they still had Alex Smith.

Without him, who knows? Can Colt McCoy bus drive them to 3-3? That might be good enough cause they'd be 9-7, and we'd have to go 4-2 including beating them to even force a tiebreaker.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Imperative that we basically run the table on the division opponents though.

Redskins have the easiest schedule and I might pick them even if they lose on Thanksgiving -- if they still had Alex Smith.

Without him, who knows? Can Colt McCoy bus drive them to 3-3? That might be good enough cause they'd be 9-7, and we'd have to go 4-2 including beating them to even force a tiebreaker.
It's not just the QB, what about all the other injuries? Two weeks ago they lost three starters on O for the year in one game including their Zack Martin.

The only thing I can say for them is, as little as I think of McCoy, Smith was so bad there might not be a huge drop off. I mean, Smith is abysmal anymore. I had that game on a second TV yesterday and the stadium almost seemed to gain a little life when McCoy came in. But intangibles can't overcome lack of talent.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's not just the QB, what about all the other injuries? Two weeks ago they lost three starters on O for the year in one game including their Zack Martin.

The only thing I can say for them is, as little as I think of McCoy, Smith was so bad there might not be a huge drop off. I mean, Smith is abysmal anymore. I had that game on a second TV yesterday and the stadium almost seemed to gain a little life when McCoy came in. But intangibles can't overcome lack of talent.
Agree, but they do have the easiest schedule left. Like I said, can they go 3-3? That might be enough if we can't beat the Eagles again, or if we stumble against the Colts. Even IF we beat them on Thursday.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Who doesn't include Zeke in the top RB discussion?

No one I know.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Agree, but they do have the easiest schedule left. Like I said, can they go 3-3? That might be enough if we can't beat the Eagles again, or if we stumble against the Colts. Even IF we beat them on Thursday.
If we can't beat them under these circumstances we don't deserve to be in contention for the division to begin with. If we beat them they will struggle to go 3-2 with Philly twice and road games at Tennessee/Jacksonville.

Doesn't really matter much either way though, nobody in this division is winning a road game in New Orleans or LA even if they manage to beat Carolina/Seattle/Minnesota/Green Bay in the first round.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

This isn't just some coincidence.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
If we can't beat them under these circumstances we don't deserve to be in contention for the division to begin with. If we beat them they will struggle to go 3-2 with Philly twice and road games at Tennessee/Jacksonville.

Doesn't really matter much either way though, nobody in this division is winning a road game in New Orleans or LA even if they manage to beat Carolina/Seattle/Minnesota/Green Bay in the first round.
I don't see the Redskins doing anything this season...Colt McCoy is a joke and their OL is in shambles. Houston let them hang around yesterday for some reason.

If the Cowboys lose Thursday to them Garrett should be canned immediately.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't see the Redskins doing anything this season...Colt McCoy is a joke and their OL is in shambles. Houston let them hang around yesterday for some reason.

If the Cowboys lose Thursday to them Garrett should be canned immediately.
They had a short-term infusion of energy when McCoy came in and made a few plays, stuff like that doesn't last for weeks.

It happened a few weeks ago when Tampa took Winston out and put Fitzpatrick in down like 20 and they almost came back to win. Same thing happened yesterday except the other way with Fitzpatrick being taken out for Winston.

As the weeks roll on things stabilize and the princess turns back into a pumpkin.

Houston also tends to play games close since their offense isn't especially explosive.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Washington might well have won that game if not for Smith's 100-yard pick six at the end of the first half. They were looking to take the lead or at least tie it up going into halftime and suddenly Washington is down 10. Total back breaker.

Washington isn't that good but they are well-coached, I think. They seem to get the most of their talent. They're just not that talented in some areas and they seem to be incredibly beat up every year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Washington might well have won that game if not for Smith's 100-yard pick six at the end of the first half. They were looking to take the lead or at least tie it up going into halftime and suddenly Washington is down 10. Total back breaker.

Washington isn't that good but they are well-coached, I think. They seem to get the most of their talent. They're just not that talented in some areas and they seem to be incredibly beat up every year.
Their run defense is stingy and they have a solid pass rush, their offense is ultra-conservative and does just enough to get by so most of their games are close. They have one of the best TO differentials in the league this year which is the main reason they're 6-4 but they aren't a "good" team.

They aren't an especially well coached team so much as they are just an embodiment of what an average NFL team looks like with a little luck.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
trouble in paradise

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Stephen Jones will need to completely overhaul is offensive coaching staff if he's looking for more creativity. The current group doesn't have it.

Even during Romo's tenure the offense was fairly predictable and didn't do anything out of the ordinary. They were able to get by on Pro Bowl talent at QB, WR, and TE.

Now that we no longer have that luxury at those positions this staff is stumped and struggles to create schemes that exploit their opponents' weaknesses.

Also, before any Romo nut-hugger chimes in, pay attention to tonight's game between the Rams and Chiefs. Lots of talent all across the board on both of those teams. The difference is Reid and McVay are going to be dialing up plays that won't simply rely on their players "winning" the matchup in front of them. They're going to put each other's defenses in awkward situations. LBs forced to cover RBs and WRs deep down field; the deep safeties will be challenged by multiple receivers attacking their area of coverage; the defense's eyes will be manipulated with motions, fake WR screens, etc. That's the kind of creative play calling that Dallas lacks.

Another aspect of the creative playcalling that you get from those teams is that it's fairly sustained throughout the entire game. So for 60 minutes the defense has to be on their toes expecting any and everything. Whereas in Dallas a creative gameplan for Linehan and Garrett is limited to 2-4 plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom