2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think Lewis is better than Garrett though. He has at least brought in some bright offensive coordinators. He also made the playoffs for like 5 straight years with the Bengals. I'm not a big Lewis guy but I think he is at least capable of adapting what he does.
He did dump Alexander on us. I’ll give him that .

p1_

DCC 4Life

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
So, did I read the article from earlier correctly? The Eagles give up a third round pick for Tate. And if he doesn't pan out for them this season, they can cut him and get a compensatory third for his release?
If this is true, Philly pulled a genius win-win (risk free) move.
And we eat our first rounder if Cooper flops.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, did I read the article from earlier correctly? The Eagles give up a third round pick for Tate. And if he doesn't pan out for them this season, they can cut him and get a compensatory third for his release?
No you got it wrong.

Tate is a free agent after this season. They traded a third round pick for half a year service on the guy. What the article you read is suggesting is that if the Eagles let Tate walk as a free agent that they will get a 3rd round comp pick back in return. But there are a few problems with that theory. First of all it means the Eagles can't sign any free agents. It also means that Tate has to sign a new contract that would make him worthy of the highest level of comp pick. Which is far from a given.

There is no cutting involved though. Teams don't get comp picks for cutting a player.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
and he already has commercial experience.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
No. They can't cut him but he's a free agent after this season. If he signs with another team, assuming he gets a lucrative deal, they could get a 2020 draft pick, likely to be a 4th (not a third).

But people are ignoring his age, which doesn't always play well in free agency. I'm not convinced he gets a top deal. Especially if his numbers suffer with the eagles (and they might, considering midseason WR acquisitions historically take some time to adjust).

Also, even if it's a 4th round compensation, they have to wait 2 years for it. And people keep forgetting that those comp picks are at the end of the rounds so a 4th is essentially an early 5th. It's a far cry from the 2019 3rd they gave up.

p1_

DCC 4Life

p1_

DCC 4Life

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No. They can't cut him but he's a free agent after this season. If he signs with another team, assuming he gets a lucrative deal, they could get a 2020 draft pick, likely to be a 4th (not a third).

But people are ignoring his age, which doesn't always play well in free agency. I'm not convinced he gets a top deal. Especially if his numbers suffer with the eagles (and they might, considering midseason WR acquisitions historically take some time to adjust).

Also, even if it's a 4th round compensation, they have to wait 2 years for it. And people keep forgetting that those comp picks are at the end of the rounds so a 4th is essentially an early 5th. It's a far cry from the 2019 3rd they gave up.
It also means they can't sign anyone in free agency. If they do the comp pick goes away.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

I was wondering about this when I watched it live. Not a stellar day for the refs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I was wondering about this when I watched it live. Not a stellar day for the refs.
Because one of the refs was either a Skins fan or had money on the game. It's the only explanation for some of the bizarre calls that happened.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I guess they'd rather have Jeff Swaim on the field than Elliott.

Now I could see if it were a transcendent talent like RICO, but Swaim?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
On Thursday, during their first official practice, defensive tackle David Irving had to be carted off the field after he suffered an ankle injury according to Jane Slater of the NFL Network.
Dallas is relatively healthy coming out of their bye week, however on Thursday were missing RG Zack Martin, TE Geoff Swaim and DE Randy Gregory all due to knee ailments.

Gregory underwent arthroscopic surgery over the bye week to clean up an issue that had bothered him all season. Martin and Swaim injured their knees in the Week 7 loss to Washington.
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/01/dallas-cowboys-david-irving-zack-martin-geoff-swaim-randy-gregory/

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess they'd rather have Jeff Swaim on the field than Elliott.

Now I could see if it were a transcendent talent like RICO, but Swaim?
Well with Swaim hurt it's going to be Rico or Jarwin.

So probably Jarwin. Who is as useless as a turd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom