2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not either, but I re-sign him. He has been invaluable with our run defense.
Yeah it's weird to think that we have all been yearning for a legit NT and the way we finally find a guy in this fashion. But NT's are weird like that. They can be found in all types of fashion. I'd say we just lucked into him but I have to give our scouting department a little credit for finding the guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best and worst QBs of Week 6: Wentz, Dak star ... Eli doesn't
play
Darren Woodson discusses the quarterback situation in New York, saying that the time is coming for the Giants to sit Eli Manning. (1:03)

Oct 16, 2018
Seth WalderHank Gargiulo
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print
Any given Sunday ... every quarterback has a shot to sit atop the Total QBR leaderboard. While QBs are most often judged by wins and losses or touchdowns and interceptions, we like to rank them every week by the stat that measures their per-play contribution to their team's cause.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Let's overreact to NFL Week 6: Cowboys will conquer the NFC East?
By hanging 40 on the Jaguars, Dallas proved it could contend in a free-for-all division race. Plus: Is Adam Thielen the best wide receiver in the NFL?

Week 6 takeaways: Can anybody stop Todd Gurley and the Rams?
The Rams' offense looked unstoppable as they moved to 6-0, but the rest of the NFC remains up for grabs. NFL Nation looks at Week 6.

An explainer of QBR can be found here, but the main idea is to capture more elements of a quarterback's play than traditional methods consider. QBR includes the value (or lack thereof) of quarterback rushing, sacks, fumbles, relevant penalties, and -- crucially -- the down and distance of every play. QBR works on a 0-to-100 scale, with 50 roughly average and 75 about Pro Bowl-caliber play.

Each Tuesday in this space, we'll highlight the best and worst QBR performances from the NFL weekend and break down what made each quarterback perform at either extreme.

Which quarterbacks were the best and worst of Week 6?

Top three

1. Carson Wentz, Philadelphia Eagles
Total QBR: 95.9

After back-to-back middling weeks in which the Eagles went 0-2, Wentz responded with a career-best 95.9 Total QBR in Week 6 against the Giants.

No matter how you evaluate his effort, he looked great. The most important aspect was avoiding negative plays, however. Wentz was sacked only once and had positive expected points added on 30 of his 42 action plays (71 percent), the highest rate of his career.

Wentz also was an incredible 13-of-14 on third down with nine of those 13 completions going for a first down. Of quarterbacks who attempted at least 14 third-down attempts, none has a completion rate that high since Kyle Orton matched Wentz's 13-for-14 performance in Week 14 of 2014. -- Gargiulo

Carson Wentz On Third Down

2. Dak Prescott, Dallas Cowboys
Total QBR: 95.3

Prescott's 95.3 in Week 6 was his highest QBR in a game since a 95.8 back in 2016 -- and the highest QBR the Jaguars have allowed in a game since Colin Kaepernick torched them for a 99.8 (on a much, much smaller number of plays) in 2013.

Prescott had the best rushing performance of his career, going for 82 yards on 11 rushes. His biggest run was a 17-yard touchdown run to put the Cowboys up 10-0 late in the first quarter. He also had a big 28-yard scramble in the third quarter to help set up a field goal.

He also had some big plays on third down to keep the Cowboys' offense moving. In the first half, he hit Michael Gallup for a 27-yard completion on a third-and-9. Looking Cole Beasley's way, Prescott found his trusty slot receiver for a 21-yard completion on a third-and-11, and then completed a pass to Beasley on third-and-7 at the end of the first half for a 9-yard touchdown. -- Gargiulo

Dak Prescott On Third Down

COMPLETIONS ATTEMPTS YARDS TD INT
8 11 112 1 0

3. C.J. Beathard, San Francisco 49ers
Total QBR: 88.9

The second-year quarterback nearly pulled off an upset on Monday night in what was his most efficient game of the season. Beathard was not asked to shoulder as much of the load as he had been in his past two starts since taking over for Jimmy Garoppolo, accumulating only 29 action plays, down from 46 two weeks ago and 67 last week.

Beathard hit on some big plays, leading to his high QBR, including the 67-yard touchdown pass to Marquise Goodwin -- which traveled 42 yards downfield before Goodwin took it the remaining 25 yards -- and an 11-yard scramble on third-and-9 on the 49ers' final drive of the first half that resulted in a field goal.

His late-game interception held him back from being higher on the list, but consider that if it merely fell incomplete, the 49ers would have been left with a fourth-and-3 at the Packers' 46-yard line. Would they have attempted a long field goal? If they had punted, would it have ended up inside the 10 where Green Bay ultimately started the ensuing drive? Or would the 49ers have gone for it? The situation it put Green Bay in was still 90 yards from the end zone with 1:07 left and no timeouts. -- Gargiulo

C.J. Beathard Week 6 Pass Plot

16 23 245 2 1
Just missed: Philip Rivers, Los Angeles Chargers (88.9); Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens (86.9)

Bottom three

1. Eli Manning, New York Giants
Total QBR: 3.6

The Giants' offensive line is a dumpster fire, and Manning looks finished. Both of these things can be true, in contrast to the debate that raged on Friday morning. As ESPN writer Bill Barnwell pointed out, Manning was brutal even if you take away all the snaps when he was under pressure.

Though no offense aims to put its QB under pressure, it is the quarterback's responsibility to make the most of what he's given. Manning did not do that when he was under duress on Thursday night.

Eli Manning, Passes Under Pressure

COMPLETIONS ATTEMPTS YARDS SACKS
2 14 16 4
The upside for the Giants? Big Blue now has a 52 percent chance at landing another top-five pick. -- Walder

2. Marcus Mariota, Tennessee Titans
Total QBR: 14.4

Mariota's eight worst QBR plays on Sunday?

Sack. Sack. Sack. Sack. Sack. Sack. Sack. Sack. In fact, 11 of his 13 worst QBR plays were sacks.

Now, some may quibble with the notion that Mariota ought to be debited for all of those. And certainly, QBR doesn't place all the blame on him. But consider that the average time of those 11 sacks was 4.6 seconds after the snap, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. The average time to pass in the NFL is 2.5 seconds. By 4.6 seconds, the quarterback has to figure out a way to have the football out of his hand. Mariota wasn't entirely responsible for Sunday's drubbing, but he played a big role in it. -- Walder

Marcus Mariota Week 6 Pass Plot

COMPLETIONS ATTEMPTS YARDS TD INT SACKS
10 15 117 0 0 11

3. Baker Mayfield, Cleveland Browns
Total QBR: 14.5

Mayfield's QBR has declined every week since he took over for Tyrod Taylor in Week 3. In that relief appearance, he had a week-best 96.1 QBR. But he followed it up with a 53.1, a 41.0 and a 14.5 in Week 6 against the Chargers.

The Chargers sacked him five times. Mayfield's worst sack came midway through the second quarter while trailing by only four when he was dropped on a third-and-6. It pushed the Browns from plausible field goal range at the Chargers' 35-yard line all the way back to the 41. Cleveland elected to punt instead of attempting the long field goal.

Mayfield was also not able to consistently complete throws 10 or more yards downfield. His completion percentage of 23.5 on those passes is a season low, and he hadn't finished at less than 40 percent in any of his previous three games. -- Gargiulo

Baker Mayfield, Passes Of 10+ Yards

4 7 82 0 1
Just missed: Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans (17.0); Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders (21.6)

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:lol @ Mayfield

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol @ Mayfield
Yeah the QBR stat really punishes a QB for taking sacks. Which is partially on the offensive line but it's on the QB too. When a QB breaks a tackle or throws the ball away it can really rescue a drive. Having a QB who takes sacks can be a real liability and detriment that gets overlooked by other statistics like QB rating and YPA. The big turnaround for Dak is well highlighted on the graphic too. Third down passing is the most important thing in our offense. We are a slow moving, hoping for lots of first downs offense. So you need a QB who is able to convert a high percentage of those third downs since we don't get many chunk plays. Dak being 8-11 for 112 yards on third downs just highlights how good he was finally this week.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah the QBR stat really punishes a QB for taking sacks. Which is partially on the offensive line but it's on the QB too. When a QB breaks a tackle or throws the ball away it can really rescue a drive. Having a QB who takes sacks can be a real liability and detriment that gets overlooked by other statistics like QB rating and YPA. The big turnaround for Dak is well highlighted on the graphic too. Third down passing is the most important thing in our offense. We are a slow moving, hoping for lots of first downs offense. So you need a QB who is able to convert a high percentage of those third downs since we don't get many chunk plays. Dak being 8-11 for 112 yards on third downs just highlights how good he was finally this week.
I dont care if the stat is a good one a bad one but if it gives me a chance to laugh at the douchenozzle then I say ots alright.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Well, how about the OC communicate directly with the QB instead of going through the QB coach? Brilliant, I know.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Well, how about the OC communicate directly with the QB instead of going through the QB coach? Brilliant, I know.
I don't understand why this is suddenly a problem this year. In the past we have if anything played better on the road. Now suddenly the offense can't communicate when there is noise? It seems like some of the most basic shit is what is tripping this team up. Stuff that any coach should be able to resolve easily.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Maybe because Cooper, Fred, Dez, Witten and TWill are no longer on the field.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe because Cooper, Fred, Dez, Witten and TWill are no longer on the field.
I get Frederick to an extent because he used to make all of the protection calls. But guys like Witten, Twill and Dez just had ears just like the rest. Shit Dez was never on the same page as Dak regardless.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I guess it's a good time for a suspension lol

p1_

DCC 4Life

Good God, man. Please.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Good God, man. Please.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Damn! Kellen Moore is doing a great job.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

DLK150

DCC 4Life
He's spreading the ball around the field better than I thought but the majority are still within ten yards of the LOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom