2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Does anyone else think that Joe Looney has played well enough to kick over to guard when Fred comes back? I have been impressed with him so far this season, much more than in the past.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Does anyone else think that Joe Looney has played well enough to kick over to guard when Fred comes back? I have been impressed with him so far this season, much more than in the past.
That will never happen. Conner Williams is improving every week and considering he was a 2nd round pick, he'd have to either be injured or start to suck out loud and do it for a period of time for any change to be made there. And we have a better chance of winning the next ten super bowls of him ever taking over for Martin.

About the only chance would be if Martin was moved to RT to replace Collins, but we also know that is not happening.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
That was my thought exactly. Unlike Conner, he has the girth to handle the big bruisers inside, and enough mobility to pull on running plays. But because Jerry would rather cut off his dick than admit he blew a high draft pick, none of this will happen.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We are going to be the first team in NFL history to run a guard by committee setup. Looney on running downs, and Connor on passing. Jerry is so smart.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
No, but he's played well enough that this will be his last year in Dallas.

He'll get good money somewhere.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
But because Jerry would rather cut off his dick than admit he blew a high draft pick, none of this will happen.
You think Connor Williams was a blown high draft pick? He struggled in his first game, but he's been steadily improving, imo. I think he's been playing fine for where he was taken. Middle bottom of the second round. Yeah, he's still a little light in the ass, but I think after a year in an NFL weight training program, he'll be just fine.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That will never happen. Conner Williams is improving every week and considering he was a 2nd round pick, he'd have to either be injured or start to suck out loud and do it for a period of time for any change to be made there. And we have a better chance of winning the next ten super bowls of him ever taking over for Martin.

About the only chance would be if Martin was moved to RT to replace Collins, but we also know that is not happening.
And there's no certainty that Fred will return, or return to full form. We cant assume anything.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Who's crying about Dan Bailey now?

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
IMO he needs to be a solid 315 to hold his ground. He already has a lean, solid muscle base at 298. Seventeen pounds of muscle shouldn't be difficult to add.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
You think Connor Williams was a blown high draft pick? He struggled in his first game, but he's been steadily improving, imo. I think he's been playing fine for where he was taken. Middle bottom of the second round. Yeah, he's still a little light in the ass, but I think after a year in an NFL weight training program, he'll be just fine.
Didn't they say the same thing about Al Johnson? When Atkins steamrolled him in pre-season, they said it was because Atkins was a great player. When Short did the same in game 1, they said it was because Short was a great player. But then he was blown up by Seattle's Jarran Reed (resulting in a sack), and no one would confuse him for a great player. Not calling him a bust, but I'll be very interested to see how much he weighs a year from now.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Didn't they say the same thing about Al Johnson?
Oh, good Christ. Now he's comparable to Al Johnson? Williams has shown promise in his very short time. Al Johnson showed nothing but being terrible from start to finish.

Already comparing him to Al Johnson is akin to the morons that immediately tagged Vander Esch as Bobby Carpenter 2.0

Not calling him a bust.
Jerry would rather cut off his dick than admit he blew a high draft pick
Yeah. My bad. Not sure how I ever came to that conclusion.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Oh, good Christ. Now he's comparable to Al Johnson? Williams has shown promise in his very short time. Al Johnson showed nothing but being terrible from start to finish.

Already comparing him to Al Johnson is akin to the morons that immediately tagged Vander Esch as Bobby Carpenter 2.0
But that's all we heard. "Sure he's undersized, but give him a year in the weight room!" But as we've seen, the weight room is no guarantee of success. Curious still is how he lost two inches and 20 lbs once he became a Cowboy.

Yeah. My bad. Not sure how I ever came to that conclusion.
Sigh. At present, it isn't fair to call Williams a bust, but if Fred comes back eight weeks from now, replacing Williams with Looney isn't absurd if he doesn't improve. And yes, Jerry hangs on to disappointing players forever (Stanback, Gregory, McGee, etc.) rather than cut bait and admit he made a mistake.

Attachments

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But that's all we heard. "Sure he's undersized, but give him a year in the weight room!" But as we've seen, the weight room is no guarantee of success. Curious still is how he lost two inches and 20 lbs once he became a Cowboy.

Sigh. At present, it isn't fair to call Williams a bust, but if Fred comes back eight weeks from now, replacing Williams with Looney isn't absurd if he doesn't improve. And yes, Jerry hangs on to disappointing players forever (Stanback, Gregory, McGee, etc.) rather than cut bait and admit he made a mistake.
Why do you think he lost 2 inches, he is 6'5". And colleges natoriously make players bigger then they are. It's the whole point of the combine. College listed heights and weights are a joke and coaches always inflate numbers to make their players sound bigger.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Why do you think he lost 2 inches, he is 6'5". And colleges natoriously make players bigger then they are. It's the whole point of the combine. College listed heights and weights are a joke and coaches always inflate numbers to make their players sound bigger.
Yes I know that (see: Baker Mayfield), but it's as if the Cowboys relied on his bogus UT measurements and not the combine's.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I agree the anti-Connor Williams stuff is ridiculous.

However, Al Johnson was not a bust in the true sense. He started here over Andre Gurode for a couple years, no? Then Gurode beat him out.

Certainly not a truly successful pick, but not "terrible from start to finish."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

However, Al Johnson was not a bust in the true sense. He started here over Andre Gurode for a couple years, no? Then Gurode beat him out.

I honestly had no recollection of him starting that much for us in all honesty. Sort of shows how our memory fails us when trying to remember things that long ago.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Started and had a decent season or two in Arizona as well.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Why are you ready to proclaim Joe Looney a starter anyway? That’s kinda silly IMO.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Williams won't be going ANYWHERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom