2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Ok, I've watched James Washington clips for the last little bit. Will he make it to the 3rd? If not and we took D in the first would he be worth the 2nd. Looks good to me?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Won't make it to the 3rd but he'd be a strong pick in the 2nd. Guys like him, Miller and Chark are the why I'd rather go elsewhere in the 1st and go WR in the 2nd.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The WR class does not excite me, but I do like Ridley the best. I just think he will translate better to the NFL game and was held back a bit by style and QB play.
Same here. Not excited about any of the potential first round WR's. But, I would probably take Ridley at 19 although I think he'll be gone by then. Maybe Moore, but it'd depend on who else is still on the board (DT, LB). I don't want Sutton even in a trade down lower in the 1st. Chark is intriguing but not at 19 and even a slight trade down would probably be too high for him. Problem is he'll probably be gone before we pick in the 2nd.

If Ridley and Moore are gone I'd prefer waiting til the 2nd and try to get Miller or maybe Washington.

Carp

DCC 4Life
DJ Moore kind of reminds me of Golden Tate. Notnthe best athlete...19 seems high, but ok I guess. Sutton is intriguing, but his scouting report reads pretty much what a scouting report on Dez would say...good size, has trouble separating.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
DJ Moore kind of reminds me of Golden Tate. Notnthe best athlete...19 seems high, but ok I guess. Sutton is intriguing, but his scouting report reads pretty much what a scouting report on Dez would say...good size, has trouble separating.
They're similar but Moore is just a bit bigger in every way (height, weight, arm length) and I think Moore is better/more explosive in contested situations.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Ok, I've watched James Washington clips for the last little bit. Will he make it to the 3rd? If not and we took D in the first would he be worth the 2nd. Looks good to me?
Big 12 WRs, like Big 12 QBs, are tricky as hell to assess.

For some reason James Washington strikes me as another in a long line of Big 12 WRs who under-perform in the NFL.

Despite having numerous Biletnikoff winners from the conference, unless I'm overlooking someone else, Jordy Nelson & Dez Bryant are easily the best WRs the Big 12 has produced. Other than those two, it 's largely a bunch of average at best receivers.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Big 12 WRs, like Big 12 QBs, are tricky as hell to assess.

For some reason James Washington strikes me as another in a long line of Big 12 WRs who under-perform in the NFL.

Despite having numerous Biletnikoff winners from the conference, unless I'm overlooking someone else, Jordy Nelson & Dez Bryant are easily the best WRs the Big 12 has produced. Other than those two, it 's largely a bunch of average at best receivers.
Michael Crabtree might disagree.

Cotton

Staff member
He goes in the "good pro, but certainly not worth his draft position" pile.
Yeah, I was mostly joking. He definitely has not lived up to where he was drafted.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still not necessarily all in on a WR in the first or second.
It all depends on what receivers are available where. I know you don't like these WR's that much but I'm all for Ridley if he is available in the first. Otherwise the only way I'm taking a WR in the first is after a trade down. And probably a pretty small one if we want one of the two guys who I think are legit first rounders.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He goes in the "good pro, but certainly not worth his draft position" pile.
Yeah I mean I think the 49ers certainly wanted more out of a top 10 draft pick. But Crabtree has also had a couple of seasons at a probowl or near probowl level so he isn't necessarily a bad first rounder either.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
With Dez gone, WR is a little more of a first three round need than before, so I'm warming to an approach like this instead of my defense-heavy strategy:

19) Trade down with Patriots for 31, 43, who are trading up for Lamar Jackson

1 - 31) OG Will Hernandez, James Daniels, or Isaiah Wynn
2 - 43) LB Rashaan Evans or Leighton Vander Esch
2 - 50) WR James Washington
3 - 81) FS Tavarius Moore
4 - 116) TE Ian Thomas
4 - 137) DL Deadrin Senat
5 - 171) OL Cole Madison
6 - 192) DT PJ Hall
6 - 193) RB Ito Smith
6 - 208) S Tracey Walker
7 - 236) OT Desmond Harrison

Something like that, though I'm perfectly fine using some of those later picks to move around.

Cotton

Staff member
With Dez gone, WR is a little more of a first three round need than before, so I'm warming to an approach like this instead of my defense-heavy strategy:

4 - 116) TE Ian Thomas
5 - 171) OL Cole Madison
6 - 192) DT PJ Hall
6 - 193) RB Ito Smith
6 - 208) S Tracey Walker

Something like that, though I'm perfectly fine using some of those later picks to move around.
I would like that haul a lot.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

4 - 116) TE Ian Thomas
5 - 171) OL Cole Madison
6 - 192) DT PJ Hall
6 - 193) RB Ito Smith
6 - 208) S Tracey Walker

I don't see NE giving up 31 & 43 for Lamar Jackson...

lostxn

DCC 4Life
If the draft doesn't come soon, I may lose my cotton-picking mind!!! :happydance

lostxn

DCC 4Life

4 - 116) TE Ian Thomas
5 - 171) OL Cole Madison
6 - 192) DT PJ Hall
6 - 193) RB Ito Smith
6 - 208) S Tracey Walker

The premise of the trade is probably flawed. I haven't ever seen Jackson falling to us. If so, we should get a haul but I suspect someone would have traded up way before 19. That being said, I love the picks. Love it even more if LVE drops due to this neck bullshit.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
It all depends on what receivers are available where. I know you don't like these WR's that much but I'm all for Ridley if he is available in the first. Otherwise the only way I'm taking a WR in the first is after a trade down. And probably a pretty small one if we want one of the two guys who I think are legit first rounders.
Ridley worries me with the shitty combine he had.
31" vertical? I think his broad jump was real bad too.

The 40 time was good, but to me the 40 time doesn't mean much past a certain point. I guess I'd be worried about him going up and being able to high point the ball.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ridley worries me with the shitty combine he had.
31" vertical? I think his broad jump was real bad too.

The 40 time was good, but to me the 40 time doesn't mean much past a certain point. I guess I'd be worried about him going up and being able to high point the ball.
He looks extremely explosive on the field. I guess it depends on what you value in a reciever. If you value a guy who is going to get a ton of seperation Ridley is your guy. Out jumping people isn't as big of a deal when you get seperation. Guys like Byron can jump out of the building but it doesn't mean much on the football field. I actually think jumping at the combine is one of the most overrated aspects. If a reciever can get open and catch the ball that's the most important thing. Ridley has the speed to scare corners deep with the route running to actually use that to his advantage. I'd be more worried if he was a jump ball reciever with a 31 inch verticle. I mean Mike William's who doesn't get much seperation with a 32 inch verticle is more concerning if you ask me. I'm not throwing 50/50 balls to Ridley because he's going to get open and you won't have to. I'd say watch Ridley's games if you're concerned.

But I love DJ Moore too who has a very good verticle and speed numbers. But you should never get too worked up over a combine. Especially less important things like high jumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom