2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
One year for Hernandez to get up to speed (still very good mind you), one year of pure dominance (if we can get Martin resigned) then it's time to resign Collins...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
One year for Hernandez to get up to speed (still very good mind you), one year of pure dominance (if we can get Martin resigned) then it's time to resign Collins...
I think you have to let Collins walk at that point.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Way to tip your hand. Watch this guy end up in Washington.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Good, I'd be satisfied with that pick.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I've so got a man crush on Vea. I haven't wanted a D lineman here more in forever. Barring him, I want Hernandez. I'd take either over a WR. I'm with Ravi on this one.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm willing to bet we take Vea if he somehow drops to 19. And, if we do.... BISP.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Way to tip your hand. Watch this guy end up in Washington.
maybe, but this guy has been talked about as a possible choice for us since 2018 draft talk began. And for good reason. There's no surprise, really.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Is it just me or does it seem shortsighted and stupid that Jerry & Co. don't seem to have any tight ends on the draft radar?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why you have to go and open old wounds?
I'm sorry. I'm on board with Vea at 19 too. I'd be thrilled with him there. But at least there are a bunch of NT types I love in this draft. So hopefully if we pass on Vea we will at least take a real shot at a DT with size later in the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it just me or does it seem shortsighted and stupid that Jerry & Co. don't seem to have any tight ends on the draft radar?
It's not just short sighted it's outright dumb. Having such slow players on offense really hurts us. This is a perfect time to start working a new TE into the offense. And yet we will play Witten again 97% of our offensive snaps or something silly like that. As though defenses still fear him.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They have looked at Hurst and Goedert.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
It's not just sort sighted it's outright dumb. Having such slow players on offense really hurts us. This is a perfect time to start working a new TE into the offense. And yet we will play Witten again 97% of our offensive snaps or something silly like that. As though defenses still fear him.
Actually, last year was the year to start doing so. This one should have been around 50/50...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, last year was the year to start doing so. This one should have been around 50/50...
I know and last year was a stellar TE class too. Of course this is an excellent TE class that we could also take advantage of.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It's not just you.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
It's not just short sighted it's outright dumb. Having such slow players on offense really hurts us. This is a perfect time to start working a new TE into the offense. And yet we will play Witten again 97% of our offensive snaps or something silly like that. As though defenses still fear him.
Witten is the ultimate company man. He's always on the same page as Jerry and Garrett in every utterance. And he's the check-down security blanket for Garrett and Linehan: when it's 3rd and 8 from the other team's 45, throw a 6 yard stop pattern to Witten, who will fall forward for a yard. Then punt the ball and down it inside their 20. By Garrett's standard that's a success.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Cowboys' needs filled in these two-round mocks, but questions remain

Cowboys' needs filled in these two-round mocks, but questions remain

As the NFL draft approaches, mock drafts come in hot and heavy. And on Wednesday, ESPN Insiders Mel Kiper and Todd McShay offered up their two-round mock draft that touched on the Dallas Cowboys’ draft needs.

In Kiper’s mock, he had the Cowboys taking Alabama linebacker Rashaan Evans at No. 19 and Penn State tight end Mike Gesicki at No. 50. McShay had the Cowboys taking Florida defensive tackle Taven Bryan and Memphis receiver Anthony Miller with those picks.

The Cowboys have linebacker, defensive tackle and receiver needs. Tight end is a need as well but maybe not as much as the other three.

Of the four picks, Evans and Bryan are among the Cowboys’ 30 national visits, which is a plus for both given the Cowboys’ history of taking players that visited their facility before the draft. The Cowboys had a second pro day of sorts with the Alabama players, sending their coaches to Tuscaloosa. At Bryan’s pro day, defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli put the prospect through the paces.

Neither first-round pick would be a bad option, but in Kiper’s mock, he had Boise State’s Leighton Vander Esch still available at No. 19. If that happens on draft night, there could be a good debate between Evans and Vander Esch. In McShay’s mock, Vander Esch did not go until No. 32 to the Philadelphia Eagles.

The second round picks can be up for debate, but Miller’s big-play ability is a huge plus. But in McShay’s mock, he had Oklahoma State wide receiver James Washington and SMU wide receiver Courtland Sutton available. Washington was a top-30 visitor. Jason Garrett put Sutton through the paces at the SMU pro day.

Gesicki is an interesting prospect, and the Cowboys need to think about the future with Jason Witten entering his 16th season and James Hanna and Geoff Swaim set to be free agents after the season. They also like Blake Jarwin and have another year to see what Rico Gathers might develop into.

The Cowboys have used second-round picks on Anthony Fasano, Martellus Bennett and Gavin Escobar to pair with Witten in the past. None have worked out the way they had hoped -- although some of that wasn’t the player’s fault. Gesicki is more pass-catcher than blocker, and the Cowboys want a do-it-all tight end, which is becoming more difficult to find in college football these days.

Sutton and Alabama safety Ronnie Harrison were still available when Kiper made Gesicki the 50th pick. While a tight end could be selected, there seems to be other needs that will be more pressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom