2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You guys know after the 1st round we are going to pick players that none of us are talking about?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't complain if we took Landry at 19. I think he is getting overlooked because of an injury riddled season. And I think he'd certainly be in the top 19 on my board. And that may even be as a pure RE but who cares. You need 3 great DEs just to keep everyone fresh. Even great pass rushers s huhould only be at 60-70% snaps like I've mentioned before. All the great defenses bring them in waves.

Just not sure Dallas is even considering him.
Yea, I have no problem drafting a 3rd DE in the 1st. Some would lose their shit because they only think about guys as either "starters" or "backups", but using a 1st on a 3rd DE, or DT for that matter, would be perfectly acceptable to me. The Eagles are rolling with Barnett/Graham/Bennett/Long, that rotation is seemingly the envy of many at the moment so why not spend another 1st on a pass-rusher?

If we're interested in Davenport at 19 we should be interested in Landry. I like Davenport more but I think their roles would be similar with us as rookies and I'd be perfectly happy with either.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You guys know after the 1st round we are going to pick players that none of us are talking about?
Awuzie and Lewis were both awesome picks last year and pretty much everybody seemed to love those decisions. Same with Woods.

But yea, there's always a possibility that they pull a Chaz Green at some point.

I was thinking this all along.. This happens every year when we are all hyped about a name player still. On the boars then they pick a no name head scratcher leaving you wondering if they are even at the same draft as everyone else.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 years out of the last 25.. Trust isnt there for me, yet. At least past the first round.
Well there were other years, but I go with recent history under current scouting department over years past with totally different people making decisions.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yeah. That’s why I have limited dialogue in the preseason. I see no point for me to devour the pundits opinions and debate players best suited for the Cowboys roster. The mocks and the actual outcomes are usually miles apart.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah figured they would fill the list out with basically all of the guys who could potentially go in the first round and will still be around by our first round pick. Keeps teams from knowing who we will pick.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Nice timing on the Landry talk.

I feel good about all of those names except Miller and Bryan. Daniels is a bit of an odd one since he'd be switching positions on top of the whole "overinvest on the OL" stuff, but you can't deny his talent.

I'm waiting on Wynn and Davenport to leak, they seem like rather large omissions, Hurst as well but they may be scared off by his heart thing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I feel good about all of those names except Miller and Bryan. Daniels is a bit of an odd one since he'd be switching positions on top of the whole "overinvest on the OL" stuff, but you can't deny his talent.

I'm waiting on Wynn and Davenport to leak, they seem like rather large omissions, Hurst as well but they may be scared off by his heart thing.
It seems like it would be a nice place to bring Hurst in and let the doctors poke and prod him. But frankly I wasn't that high on him to begin with. I'm not as down on Bryan as I was. The guy definitely gets up field. But he does it with such reckless abandon that he has no idea what to do once he gets up field. He is your classic guy that you can fool with screens all day. Or who will get up field but then do nothing to actually bring the QB down. His quick first step is actually pretty good but I hate how he lacks any game plan to finish and has basically no awareness when he is doing it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It seems like it would be a nice place to bring Hurst in and let the doctors poke and prod him. But frankly I wasn't that high on him to begin with. I'm not as down on Bryan as I was. The guy definitely gets up field. But he does it with such reckless abandon that he has no idea what to do once he gets up field. He is your classic guy that you can fool with screens all day. Or who will get up field but then do nothing to actually bring the QB down. His quick first step is actually pretty good but I hate how he lacks any game plan to finish and has basically no awareness when he is doing it.
He's very raw. His burst/timing off the snap is ridiculous, I saw several plays where he is off the ball and nearly engaged with an OL before 1 or 2 of his teammates even get their hands off the ground, but overall I'd rather not take someone in need of as much development as he is at 19.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I have zero interest in Miller before the third/fourth. I think he is a Combine wonder. There were times within the past two seasons at UCLA where he flat out never looked like he could play. As for Bryan, feh. Feh. And feh again with 19.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's very raw. His burst/timing off the snap is ridiculous, I saw several plays where he is off the ball and nearly engaged with an OL before 1 or 2 of his teammates even get their hands off the ground, but overall I'd rather not take someone in need of as much development as he is at 19.
That's exactly what I saw when I watched him too. I honestly sort of doubted his burst because his TFL numbers and sack numbers were so low. And usually when I watch Florida D-lineman I'm very disappointed. Bryan really showed that excellent burst when I watched him. I sort of couldn't believe he didn't have better stats. He needs a lot of work and I'm not sure if his awareness can really be improved or fixed. I mean if you want a guy to just fly up field and disrupt shit he can do that now but I don't see that finish ability that you see with David Irving for example. It's like Bryan gets upfield so quickly but he no idea where he is at once he gets upfield.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have zero interest in Miller before the third/fourth. I think he is a Combine wonder. There were times within the past two seasons at UCLA where he flat out never looked like he could play. As for Bryan, feh. Feh. And feh again with 19.
Yeah, he won the shorts olympics. But how many times have we seen a guy with great athletic ability fail on the O-line? It happens all the time and teams just fall in love with that athleticism on a big man. Maybe he could be coached up to that point but I don't want a project on the O-line in the first. Someone like Hernandez or Wynn is a plug and play excellent player. These OT's all scare the shit out of me.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yea, I have no problem drafting a 3rd DE in the 1st. Some would lose their shit because they only think about guys as either "starters" or "backups", but using a 1st on a 3rd DE, or DT for that matter, would be perfectly acceptable to me. The Eagles are rolling with Barnett/Graham/Bennett/Long, that rotation is seemingly the envy of many at the moment so why not spend another 1st on a pass-rusher?
If the pass-rushing talent was compelling enough, sure. DT is more interesting to me as a position given the boost to the whole defense.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Jesus. The man has a family, FFS.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Jesus. The man has a family, FFS.
Yep, plug him at LG and never turn back. It's the easiest transition probably for any of these rookie O-lineman. No position change and you step in between two elite probowl talents. Couldn't think of an easier transition on the O-line and serious upgrade from last year.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Adding Hernandez could very well make this the most talented and dominating O line we've seen in a long time.
I really don't think it's a stretch to say that a unit like that could reach 'legendary' status.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom