X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mschmidt64 View Post
    I'm still not necessarily all in on a WR in the first or second.
    It all depends on what receivers are available where. I know you don't like these WR's that much but I'm all for Ridley if he is available in the first. Otherwise the only way I'm taking a WR in the first is after a trade down. And probably a pretty small one if we want one of the two guys who I think are legit first rounders.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1bigfan13 View Post
      He goes in the "good pro, but certainly not worth his draft position" pile.
      Yeah I mean I think the 49ers certainly wanted more out of a top 10 draft pick. But Crabtree has also had a couple of seasons at a probowl or near probowl level so he isn't necessarily a bad first rounder either.

Comment

• With Dez gone, WR is a little more of a first three round need than before, so I'm warming to an approach like this instead of my defense-heavy strategy:

19) Trade down with Patriots for 31, 43, who are trading up for Lamar Jackson

1 - 31) OG Will Hernandez, James Daniels, or Isaiah Wynn
        2 - 43) LB Rashaan Evans or Leighton Vander Esch
        2 - 50) WR James Washington
        3 - 81) FS Tavarius Moore
        4 - 116) TE Ian Thomas
        4 - 137) DL Deadrin Senat
        5 - 171) OL Cole Madison
        6 - 192) DT PJ Hall
        6 - 193) RB Ito Smith
        6 - 208) S Tracey Walker
        7 - 236) OT Desmond Harrison

Something like that, though I'm perfectly fine using some of those later picks to move around.

Comment

With Dez gone, WR is a little more of a first three round need than before, so I'm warming to an approach like this instead of my defense-heavy strategy:

4 - 116) TE Ian Thomas
          5 - 171) OL Cole Madison
          6 - 192) DT PJ Hall
          6 - 193) RB Ito Smith
          6 - 208) S Tracey Walker

Something like that, though I'm perfectly fine using some of those later picks to move around.
          I would like that haul a lot.
          2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

With Dez gone, WR is a little more of a first three round need than before, so I'm warming to an approach like this instead of my defense-heavy strategy:

4 - 116) TE Ian Thomas
            5 - 171) OL Cole Madison
            6 - 192) DT PJ Hall
            6 - 193) RB Ito Smith
            6 - 208) S Tracey Walker

I don't see NE giving up 31 & 43 for Lamar Jackson...
            @Rev supporter

Comment

• I'd take that if it happened.

Comment

• If the draft doesn't come soon, I may lose my cotton-picking mind!!!
                I was on the draft LVE train. 'nuff said

Comment

4 - 116) TE Ian Thomas
                  5 - 171) OL Cole Madison
                  6 - 192) DT PJ Hall
                  6 - 193) RB Ito Smith
                  6 - 208) S Tracey Walker

The premise of the trade is probably flawed. I haven't ever seen Jackson falling to us. If so, we should get a haul but I suspect someone would have traded up way before 19. That being said, I love the picks. Love it even more if LVE drops due to this neck bullshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
                    It all depends on what receivers are available where. I know you don't like these WR's that much but I'm all for Ridley if he is available in the first. Otherwise the only way I'm taking a WR in the first is after a trade down. And probably a pretty small one if we want one of the two guys who I think are legit first rounders.
                    Ridley worries me with the shitty combine he had.
                    31" vertical? I think his broad jump was real bad too.

The 40 time was good, but to me the 40 time doesn't mean much past a certain point. I guess I'd be worried about him going up and being able to high point the ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleMilti View Post
                      Ridley worries me with the shitty combine he had.
                      31" vertical? I think his broad jump was real bad too.

The 40 time was good, but to me the 40 time doesn't mean much past a certain point. I guess I'd be worried about him going up and being able to high point the ball.
                      He looks extremely explosive on the field. I guess it depends on what you value in a reciever. If you value a guy who is going to get a ton of seperation Ridley is your guy. Out jumping people isn't as big of a deal when you get seperation. Guys like Byron can jump out of the building but it doesn't mean much on the football field. I actually think jumping at the combine is one of the most overrated aspects. If a reciever can get open and catch the ball that's the most important thing. Ridley has the speed to scare corners deep with the route running to actually use that to his advantage. I'd be more worried if he was a jump ball reciever with a 31 inch verticle. I mean Mike William's who doesn't get much seperation with a 32 inch verticle is more concerning if you ask me. I'm not throwing 50/50 balls to Ridley because he's going to get open and you won't have to. I'd say watch Ridley's games if you're concerned.

But I love DJ Moore too who has a very good verticle and speed numbers. But you should never get too worked up over a combine. Especially less important things like high jumps.

Comment

He looks extremely explosive on the field. I guess it depends on what you value in a reciever. If you value a guy who is going to get a ton of seperation Ridley is your guy. Out jumping people isn't as big of a deal when you get seperation. Guys like Byron can jump out of the building but it doesn't mean much on the football field. I actually think jumping at the combine is one of the most overrated aspects. If a reciever can get open and catch the ball that's the most important thing. Ridley has the speed to scare corners deep with the route running to actually use that to his advantage. I'd be more worried if he was a jump ball reciever with a 31 inch verticle. I mean Mike William's who doesn't get much seperation with a 32 inch verticle is more concerning if you ask me. I'm not throwing 50/50 balls to Ridley because he's going to get open and you won't have to. I'd say watch Ridley's games if you're concerned.

But I love DJ Moore too who has a very good verticle and speed numbers. But you should never get too worked up over a combine. Especially less important things like high jumps.
                        I think I read somewhere high jump is one of the combine numbers that tracks most closely with success at WR. That's likely why he cited it. That being said, nothing really is a lock when it comes to WRs and the combine. It's a dependent position and highly situational. Look at Jimmy Smith. We ran him out of the league after an appe and he buckled down, got his shit together and became an all time great, just short of HOF credentials (5 pro bowls). You just never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by lostxn View Post
                          I think I read somewhere high jump is one of the combine numbers that tracks most closely with success at WR. That's likely why he cited it. That being said, nothing really is a lock when it comes to WRs and the combine. It's a dependent position and highly situational. Look at Jimmy Smith. We ran him out of the league after an appe and he buckled down, got his shit together and became an all time great, just short of HOF credentials (5 pro bowls). You just never know.
                          Antonio Brown 33.5
                          Julio Jones 38.5
                          Keenan Allen N/A (Couldn't find one)
                          Deandre Hopkins 36
                          Adam Thielen Unofficially 36
                          Michael Thomas 35
                          Tyreek Hill 40.5 unofficially
                          Larry Fitzgerald (Couldn't find one)
                          Marvin Jones 33

I'm not sure I really see a connection just looking at the top 9 WR's from last year. They are kind of all over the place with their verticals. I think usually really fast guys have a great vertical so people usually draw that conclusion. But the 40 and tape on Ridley tell you the guy is fast and explosive. So I'm not sure his vertical jump really means much.

But hey if you want a big guy who had a great vertical in this draft, look no further than Allen Lazard who I really like for day three. 38 inch vertical at 6'5" 227 pounds is pretty impressive.

Comment

Antonio Brown 33.5
                            Julio Jones 38.5
                            Deandre Hopkins 36
                            Michael Thomas 35
                            Marvin Jones 33

I'm not sure I really see a connection just looking at the top 9 WR's from last year. They are kind of all over the place with their verticals. I think usually really fast guys have a great vertical so people usually draw that conclusion. But the 40 and tape on Ridley tell you the guy is fast and explosive. So I'm not sure his vertical jump really means much.

But hey if you want a big guy who had a great vertical in this draft, look no further than Allen Lazard who I really like for day three. 38 inch vertical at 6'5" 227 pounds is pretty impressive.
                            His referencing that study is stupid.

That study showed that no combine measurement correlated to WR success. WR was the only position that had no clear indicator.

Claiming high jump is most indicative of success is like saying Phoenix is more likely to get rain than Las Vegas when they’re both desert climates that get under ten inches a year.

Comment

Antonio Brown 33.5
                              Julio Jones 38.5
                              Deandre Hopkins 36
                              Michael Thomas 35
                              Marvin Jones 33

I brought it up because there seems to be quite a few NFL people who were caught off guard by his numbers. I'm not sure who Ravi was referencing, I certainly wasn't implying Ridley is not going to be an All World WR in the NFL, but he didn't test well at the combine...thats a fact. His vertical and his broad jump were about the worst among his peers. His 40 time was decent, but his shuttle time was mid pack.

For me, it would be a tossup between him and Moore at 19 simply because Moore looks just as dynamic on the field as Ridley, but at least at the combine, Moore showed that not only can he run by people, he can go up and get the ball too.

Like you said, Ridleys route running and speed will most likely be what makes him good at the next level...but for all the hype the guy has gotten he certainly didn't shine at the combine.

Comment

• Not sure how Riddley did at his pro day, but I'm still more of a Moore fan at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X