2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't mind a trade up for Vea or James but generally speaking I don't think either is necessary. Staying at 19 or trading down if possible is the best bet unless one of them falls to like 15/16 and we can jump up for a relatively small price (maybe a 4th+5th).

Trading up for Ridley would be absolutely insane.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd love Vea but if you trade up for him you're hurting your ability to do much of anything at LBer and WR where we really need some legit young guys. You'd be down to only one more first day pick. Which means you're not addressing either WR or LBer until day 3. Which is sort of a scary thought. We could probably survive at WR but I think it would be hurting a year from now when we have shit coming up and guys contracts all expiring.
Yep, unless it's ridiculously cheap compensation I don't love trading up.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd love Vea but if you trade up for him you're hurting your ability to do much of anything at LBer and WR where we really need some legit young guys. You'd be down to only one more first day pick. Which means you're not addressing either WR or LBer until day 3. Which is sort of a scary thought. We could probably survive at WR but I think it would be hurting a year from now when we have shit coming up and guys contracts all expiring.
Seems a bit too needs focused. Trying to force LB and WR from a draft weak in both diminishes us in both sides of the ball.

We have ten picks to grab WR/LB depth, which is probably the best we can take outside the first/second round.

If if we can get Vea and keep our second round pick, the value is huge. He’s far and away better than other DTs, and you can even still add additional DL value late.

We should come away from this draft with an elite DL. Couple that with our already elite OL and the foundation is set to compete for years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems a bit too needs focused. Trying to force LB and WR from a draft weak in both diminishes us in both sides of the ball.

We have ten picks to grab WR/LB depth, which is probably the best we can take outside the first/second round.

If if we can get Vea and keep our second round pick, the value is huge. He’s far and away better than other DTs, and you can even still add additional DL value late.
You're just forcing one thing instead of another. You're forcing this Vea "need" to bipass filing two bigger needs on the team. And Vea at 13 or whatever isn't such a steal that it makes it worth it. Vea isn't some top 5 talent that has fallen for no reason.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't mind a trade up for Vea or James but generally speaking I don't think either is necessary. Staying at 19 or trading down if possible is the best bet unless one of them falls to like 15/16 and we can jump up for a relatively small price (maybe a 4th+5th).

Trading up for Ridley would be absolutely insane.
It's a great middle round draft too from everything I've read. Teams are really putting a high value on second and third round picks this year because they believe that's sort of the money area.

Plus I'm not a big fan of trading up in the first unless it's for a QB. Or it's a late round move up for a guy like Dez who should have been a top 10 pick but was available in the 20's.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You're just forcing one thing instead of another. You're forcing this Vea "need" to bipass filing two bigger needs on the team. And Vea at 13 or whatever isn't such a steal that it makes it worth it. Vea isn't some top 5 talent that has fallen for no reason.
Yep and I don't think Vea is even a need. We'd certainly be fine at DT with Collins, Irving and Crawford.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep and I don't think Vea is even a need. We'd certainly be fine at DT with Collins, Irving and Crawford.
Exactly. Certainly I can see the benefit of Vea to this defense and would love to have him here. But it's not a need in the sense that if we don't get him this defense is going to be just fine.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And Payne isn't that much of a step down from Vea and we could probably get him at 19.

One interesting item to note with Vea vs. Payne is that Vea sat out a year after HS and is 2+ years older than Payne.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It’s not a need like LB but a stud one technique is definitely something worth drafting. Guess it depends what you think of him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And Payne isn't that much of a step down from Vea and we could probably get him at 19.

One interesting item to note with Vea vs. Payne is that Vea sat out a year after HS and is 2+ years older than Payne.
Yeah I'm not a big fan of Payne. But if I'm going to pop my cherry on a first round 1 technique (Since we never draft them) I want the 6'4" 347 pound monster. Not the 6'2" 310 pound guy you see in every draft.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah I'm not a big fan of Payne. But if I'm going to pop my cherry on a first round 1 technique (Since we never draft them) I want the 6'4" 347 pound monster. Not the 6'2" 310 pound guy you see in every draft.
What does the team's insistence on not drafting 1-T's up until now seemingly have to do with it?

Obviously I'd take Vea over Payne if we're going apples to apples, but would I rather have Vea if it means giving up our 3rd or Payne at 19?

I'm probably going Payne there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does the team's insistence on not drafting 1-T's up until now seemingly have to do with it?

Obviously I'd take Vea over Payne if we're going apples to apples, but would I rather have Vea if it means giving up our 3rd or Payne at 19?

I'm probably going Payne there.
Because I don't think Payne is special. I think he is a run of the mill 1 technique who honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see fall on draft day. So 19 is too rich for my blood on him. A guy who I really don't see as a significant upgrade over other NT's in this draft.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I read that the Cowboys are going to have Aikman and Roger S go out with Goodell tonight so the booing isn’t as intense.

I say boo the fuck out of them too for going out there with him.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Troy and Roger as human shields. :lol Fucking pathetic if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom