X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Iamtdg View Post
    Senat in the 4th and I am a very happy camper.
    Yep! I'm with you on this one. Really thinking Marinelli talks Jerry out of taking Vea, even if he falls in our lap.
    I see Senat as the real thing. If not, we could grab someone like Settle. There's some legit talent to be had at DT in this draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
      He's not. He is an excellent NT but we can get a different excellent NT in this draft in the third and still get a great player in the first. So yeah hell no to trading up for Vea.
      You can get a player to build a defense around in the 3rd? I had no idea.

If only youíd been around sooner.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iamtdg View Post
        I'm willing to move up for him, but just a few spots. I most likely don't jump up past 15 or so. Obviously, it depends on the cost, but I don't use more than a third to move up.
        Neither do I. I donít think weíll be able to get him though with only a 3rd as we might have to jump ahead of Washington.

It would cost some change, and thatís where the extra picks give us flexibility.

This is the piece thatís been missing from our D for decades. Dak and the offense have too much pressure carrying the whole team.

A guy like this changes everything on the other side of the ball. He demands a legit double team and also gets the penetration the LBs have been missing since god knows how long.

But if the cost is too high we canít afford it. Recall though we traded a 3rd for Demarcus Lawrence, and Vea is a better prospect than Lawrence was.

Comment

• Originally posted by ravidubey View Post
          You can get a player to build a defense around in the 3rd? I had no idea.

If only you’d been around sooner.
          No one builds a team around a NT. That's just being silly. Look at all the first round NTs that bounce around the league these days.

Comment

No one builds a team around a NT. That's just being silly. Look at all the first round NTs that bounce around the league these days.
            Tampa Bay / Sapp maybe?
            I was on the draft LVE train. I was for trading for Amari before it happened.
            'nuff said

Comment

• Originally posted by lostxn View Post
              Tampa Bay / Sapp maybe?
              Sapp was a 3 technique. He was a 300 pound man whose forte was rushing the passer.

Comment

• Casey Hampton and Haloti Ngata are two perfect examples. These huge guys that can penetrate the line donít come around often. They are automatic mismatches on every play.

You can build around a Vea.

Comment

• I can see Irving, Vea, Taco and Lawrence being so dominant we could be reminded of Doomsday. And it would make the young DBs sooooo much better.

Comment

Casey Hampton and Haloti Ngata are two perfect examples. These huge guys that can penetrate the line don’t come around often. They are automatic mismatches on every play.

You can build around a Vea.
                    The Ravens defense was never built around Ngata. He was a nice piece but it was never built around him. Same for Casey Hampton. It's why neither defense has panicked to replace either guy. It's why Ngata is bouncing around the league. Just like Poe and every other highly drafted NT in recent history.

Vea would be a great addition here but the defense wouldn't be built around him. Which is why it's not worth a third round pick to get him. Especially in a great DT class like this one.

Comment

• I canít remember the last time we had a NT of any note. Seriously itís been that long.
                      defense wins championships

Comment

• Originally posted by fortsbest View Post
                        I can see Irving, Vea, Taco and Lawrence being so dominant we could be reminded of Doomsday. And it would make the young DBs sooooo much better.
                        And, the LBers.
                        2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by fortsbest View Post
                          I can see Irving, Vea, Taco and Lawrence being so dominant we could be reminded of Doomsday. And it would make the young DBs sooooo much better.
                          Yeah I love that D-line. Not enough to trade up for Vea but I certainly think it would be bad ass if he fell to 19.

Comment

The Ravens defense was never built around Ngata.
                            It was rebuilt around him and he was the driving force behind their late 2000ís resurgence.
                            Originally posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
                            Same for Casey Hampton.

It's why neither defense has panicked to replace either guy. It's why Ngata is bouncing around the league. Just like Poe and every other highly drafted NT in recent history.
                            There you go misrepresentation again. Ngataís bouncing around the league because heís 34 years old. Hampton played 13 years in Pittsburgh before leaving.

The Steelers last played in the Superbowl with Hampton playing his third.

Chiefs went from 9th to 28th in defense when they lost Poe. Then they end up trading their big time CB anyways. They look like idiots.

You donít lose players like that and not feel the impact.

Teams feel pressure to retain their pass rushers so much they forget what makes the rest of the defense work.

Comment

Teams feel pressure to retain their pass rushers so much they forget what makes the rest of the defense work.
                              They feel that pressure because they are more important and harder to find.

Also I love how you claim I misrepresented something and then talk about Ngata being 34. The dude left the Ravens 3 going 4 seasons ago. He was 31 years old when he left. And the elite Ravens defense were built around Suggs and Reed.

You take it too far with your size stuff. A stud NT would be great but it's not the most important piece. It's certainly not worth trading multiple picks for. Lotulelei gone. Danny Shelton traded. Poe gone. Shit even Snacks Harrison was allowed to leave the Jets. Happens all the time, because NTs aren't franchise players.

Comment

• Read an interesting article a couple of weeks ago. Not sure, but I think it was Blogging the Boys.
                                Regarding Vea, the writer was talking about how teams get excited about DT's until draft day. And when it comes time to take that first round pick to the podium they just can't bring themselves to use it on a DT. I can see the point here but it can be a foolish move.
                                Hoping that's the case with Vea, and we take advantage of the opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                                X