2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm on board with the LVE pick. Don't know about the "next Urlacher" shit but his ceiling seems crazy high.
Well his size, skin color and athletic ability are all pretty reminiscent of Urlacher. But it's probably an unfair comparison to a transcendent player. Still you don't see many 6'4" 250 pound middle LBers in the NFL any more. But considering Urlacher played under Marinelli I think it's natural to think LVE will fill a similar role in Dallas. The big, tall, long armed MLBer who can create nightmares by filling passing lanes while also being a tackling machine. For all the bitching about LVE's ability to take on blocks I keep in mind this:

Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State
Overall grade: 90.5

Vander Esch has the size and athleticism to make plays all over the field. He led the class with a run-stop percentage of 15.9 last year while grading at 85.1 in coverage.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'm not really on board with trading up. I think I'd prefer to just take Vander Esch and Chark if at all possible. Chark would provide a huge boost in terms of big play ability. Dallas already has the ability to work their way slowly down the field with guys like Witten and Zeke. We just need a big play guy. And frankly I really like LVE. Through the process I've gone from being skeptical of him to really liking what he can do and his potential. If I had to pick between LVE and Chark or just Roquan Smith it's a no brainer to me. Get great players and athletes at our two biggest positions of need and move on.
Vea gives us a busy 1T that Sean Lee has never had in front of him and Roquan is basically Black Sean Lee. I admit that what I've watched of VanderEsch is impressive and wouldn't have a problem if he's the guy at 19 if they're not able to get Vea or Roquan. As long as it's not a WR I think we're good.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vea gives us a busy 1T that Sean Lee has never had in front of him and Roquan is basically Black Sean Lee. I admit that what I've watched of VanderEsch is impressive and wouldn't have a problem if he's the guy at 19 if they're not able to get Vea or Roquan. As long as it's not a WR I think we're good.
I really like Vea but he better be Vince Wilfork in terms of career if I'm paying that price. And you better think Roquan is Ray Lewis if I'm moving up that high.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stephen came out right away on the no 1T rule, unless the player was special. Then they went and called Vea special.

But he’s just a bit out of our reach, even if a couple more QBs are drafted in the top ten than expected.
For those wondering why the Cowboys don't want Xavier Woods as their deep safety they also touched on that subject in the conference. They actually seem to love the idea of Xavier Woods at safety. They mentioned him by name during the press conference when safety was brought up. I think the move of Byron Jones to corner probably has a lot to do with the fact that they think Xavier Woods is a better safety. So for those who don't think the coaches view him as a safety I think you're completely wrong. It was more like Dallas wants to draft a safety to fill out the depth chart. Like we have 3 safeties right now and they think they need to draft a fourth guy for depth purposes. I didn't get the feeling that they really view safety as a big need.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
:towel

Please let him fall to us.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I am certainly intrigued by Woods being able to play free safety. They'd know more than me, and I acknowledge he has upside.

But you need two safeties. I'm not thrilled with Heath or with Frazier (yet).

If I'm gonna spend a premium pick on a safety, I might as well trade a third for Thomas.

A second? No. Too valuable. Too likely that you can get a 22 year old long term starter at that spot. Not for a 29 year old guy.

But 81? Ok.

I'll take Thomas and Woods playing together then. With Heath as your third safety, and a CB depth chart of Jones-Awuzie-Lewis-Brown-White.

Very good secondary.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yeah the teams tune on the 1 technique spot sounded totally different at that news conference. And it's either that they really love Vea or Richard has changed the way we think on defense. Or probably a combination of the two.
I can think of very few things more Jerry Jones Cowboys than a brand new defensive backs coach coming in and immediately convincing the front office to draft a nose tackle.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am certainly intrigued by Woods being able to play free safety. They'd know more than me, and I acknowledge he has upside.

But you need two safeties. I'm not thrilled with Heath or with Frazier (yet).
I agree with this. I love Xavier Woods. I love what I saw from him last year. I loved what he did in college. I love his athletic ability and field awareness. I'm luke warm on Frazier. He impressed me last year but he makes me a little nervous in a bigger role. Heath to me has maxed out. He is a rotational safety who should never be relied on as a full time starter.

I'd love Ronnie Harrison though. Talk about a perfect pairing with Xavier Woods. IF you think Seahawks defense imagine Woods as the Thomas type and Ronnie Harrison as the Kam Chancellor type. Just an ideal pairing if you ask me. I really like Tarvarius Moore as well and would have no problem if we took him and paired him with Woods either.

As far as trading a third for Thomas. I could live with it. I really love everything Earl Thomas has done in his career. I'm just worried about the beating he has taken and if he has enough left in the tank to be more than a one or two year rental. That and I love draft picks. So it's always painful for me to imagine going entire rounds without a draft pick.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Everything they said is that PC just spells disaster.

1) They intend to draft a WR high in one of the worst WR drafts in forever.

2) They intend to move Collins and insert Fleming at RT.

3) They intend to rely on Jaylon Smith and like what they have at LB and are "excited" about Damien Wilson too.

Jesus Christ. They are fucking inept.
You bitch when words gets out who we want, and then bitch because they are vague about what they might do in the draft. Pick one, Bocephus.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
I'm on board with the LVE pick. Don't know about the "next Urlacher" shit but his ceiling seems crazy high.

I won't be upset. But yeah, the Urlacher comparison seems hyperbolic. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I won't be upset. But yeah, the Urlacher comparison seems hyperbolic. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
I mean if he ends up like Urlacher than you hit an absolute home run. It's like a best case scenario comparison. But yes I think he has that type of potential. This isn't a low ceiling guy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Working on the draft primer. Should have it up later tonight.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Agreed. Seems if he was Urlacher, he would be ranked higher than 3rd at the position, and there is no question he is behind Smith and Edmunds.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Agreed. Seems if he was Urlacher, he would be ranked higher than 3rd at the position, and there is no question he is behind Smith and Edmunds.
He's better in coverage than either of those guys. Yeah they are better overall but I think this could be a really good 3 down player. I don't agree he's soft. He hits pretty hard. He just needs to get better at shedding blocks. He only started a year. I'm fine and pretty optimistic about LVE. Give him to Marinelli and he'll get the kid chewing glass in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom