2018 Cowboys Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stephen Jones, on how the Cowboys view their offensive line going into the draft:

“I think at the end of the day, we're fortunate that La'el Collins is versatile. That's another huge asset for him in terms of him as a player, there's actually a school of thought that it's kind of a flip of the coin. He can be a hell of a left guard for us or a hell of a right tackle. Getting [Cameron] Fleming in here from New England obviously made a big difference, we feel like he's a much better tackle than guard. And I really think he's upgraded our offensive line compared to where we were last year with our top five guys. He does allow us -- really both players ... We think Fleming could go left or right tackle and La'el has that ability to play left guard and right tackle, so that we can kind of sit there and pick who's the best player.”

on bolstering the linebacker corps for 2018:

“Well, I think we did a little bit there with Joe Thomas to help us out. But at the end of the day one of the things I’m really optimistic about is I think Jaylon [Smith] is going to take another step. He had to focus on playing the game last year. Put the rehab aside for the moment as he should and he went to work, tried to help us win football games and did an unbelievable job. He’s going to take a big step this year. He already is, and I think he’s going to improve tremendously. I think he’s going to do an outstanding job for us.

on the possibility of adding to the linebacker corps in the draft:

“At the same time, we also know we could add a couple of players here in the draft. We have 10 draft picks and certainly look to do something there if the right guy is sitting there. We made moves we feel good about. We feel like we could go to work and put the right guys out there and get the job done. But the great news is we do have 10 draft picks and I do think obviously as we work our way through the draft, I don’t know what level will be taken, but there are some really good linebackers out there throughout the draft that I think could step in and contribute quickly whether that’s in a backup role, a special teams, but would be linebackers you’d love to have on your football team.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Stephen Jones, on how the Cowboys view their offensive line going into the draft:

“I think at the end of the day, we're fortunate that La'el Collins is versatile. That's another huge asset for him in terms of him as a player, there's actually a school of thought that it's kind of a flip of the coin. He can be a hell of a left guard for us or a hell of a right tackle. Getting [Cameron] Fleming in here from New England obviously made a big difference, we feel like he's a much better tackle than guard. And I really think he's upgraded our offensive line compared to where we were last year with our top five guys. He does allow us -- really both players ... We think Fleming could go left or right tackle and La'el has that ability to play left guard and right tackle, so that we can kind of sit there and pick who's the best player.”

on bolstering the linebacker corps for 2018:

“Well, I think we did a little bit there with Joe Thomas to help us out. But at the end of the day one of the things I’m really optimistic about is I think Jaylon [Smith] is going to take another step. He had to focus on playing the game last year. Put the rehab aside for the moment as he should and he went to work, tried to help us win football games and did an unbelievable job. He’s going to take a big step this year. He already is, and I think he’s going to improve tremendously. I think he’s going to do an outstanding job for us.

on the possibility of adding to the linebacker corps in the draft:

“At the same time, we also know we could add a couple of players here in the draft. We have 10 draft picks and certainly look to do something there if the right guy is sitting there. We made moves we feel good about. We feel like we could go to work and put the right guys out there and get the job done. But the great news is we do have 10 draft picks and I do think obviously as we work our way through the draft, I don’t know what level will be taken, but there are some really good linebackers out there throughout the draft that I think could step in and contribute quickly whether that’s in a backup role, a special teams, but would be linebackers you’d love to have on your football team.”
Everything they said is that PC just spells disaster.

1) They intend to draft a WR high in one of the worst WR drafts in forever.

2) They intend to move Collins and insert Fleming at RT.

3) They intend to rely on Jaylon Smith and like what they have at LB and are "excited" about Damien Wilson too.

Jesus Christ. They are fucking inept.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stephen Jones, on whether tight end is a priority in this draft:

“As long as Jason Witten wants to play football, I’m betting on Jason. But I think more than that, I think some guys are getting overlooked on this football team. You talk about [Blake] Jarwin, you talk about [Geoff] Swaim. Those are some players that we really have high opinions of. It’s real easy to get lost in the shuffle when you’re playing behind a Hall of Famer like Jason Witten who never wants to come off the field. That’s difficult. When you see them in practice every day, obviously you add Rico [Gathers] to that mix, and we did have [James] Hanna retire. We feel real positive about that spot.”

on the thought of trading for a veteran player during the draft:

“As long as the player is under contract. You can’t trade for a player who’s not under contract. So if he’s just been tendered and hasn’t signed his tender, they’d have to sign him up under the tender to trade for a player.”

on trading for a veteran player who wants a new contract:

“Then you’re taking your risk if you decide to trade for that guy, then you’re going to be dealing with him. Then it’s your decision whether you want to extend him or you want to push the issue and see if he’ll play football under his current contract. You’ll figure all of that in as to whether you make that trade or not.”

on assessing the safety position heading into the draft:

“Most of what we saw out there [in free agency] was not a complement to the group that we had — and I think that is a compliment to our group. We’ve got a good group of corners out there. Some of them are very versatile — I mentioned to you the names. And I think it’s a great compliment to Xavier [Woods]. Even though he had some injury situations he dealt with at the beginning of the year, he did something that’s very important, which is make plays on the ball. We knew he did that in college, and he took that to our level and made plays on the ball. He’s certainly a guy that we feel very comfortable with. Now, you know, we’ve got 10 draft picks. Safety, just as I mentioned linebacker, is a place, at some point in the draft, I could see us beefing that up a little bit back there and seeing if we can create some competition.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
More evidence of why we are the way we are.

Blah blah blah. I wish they would just shut up. They talk way too much and give out too much info as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
More evidence of why we are the way we are.
Jerry made it pretty clear that he isn't against a first round 1 technique. Sort of interesting that the teams tune has changed with regards to that. Makes me wonder if Vea is a real option in the first.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Meh. Let's see what they do. So much BS and misdirection this time leading up to the draft. Although I will say our team often does tip their hand. We'll see.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jerry made it pretty clear that he isn't against a first round 1 technique. Sort of interesting that the teams tune has changed with regards to that. Makes me wonder if Vea is a real option in the first.
Stephen came out right away on the no 1T rule, unless the player was special. Then they went and called Vea special.

But he’s just a bit out of our reach, even if a couple more QBs are drafted in the top ten than expected.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I’m not convinced Vea won’t be there.

And now that the Joneses have made those comments about him, combined with the Pauline report, I’ll put my money on Vea being the pick if available.

Which is great news really.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
1) Vea
2) falling Vander Esch or Evans, or other LB
3) trade for Earl Thomas
4) falling WR
4) Cole Madison

Lock and Load.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not convinced Vea won’t be there.

And now that the Joneses have made those comments about him, combined with the Pauline report, I’ll put my money on Vea being the pick if available.

Which is great news really.
Yeah the teams tune on the 1 technique spot sounded totally different at that news conference. And it's either that they really love Vea or Richard has changed the way we think on defense. Or probably a combination of the two.

The Cowboys mentioned the possibility of moving up a few spots in the draft as well if a special player falls. It didn't sound to me like they would trade up far but I wouldn't be surprised if they went up to pick 15 range if the right guy falls.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Vea is there I think he's our pick, I just doubt he's there, although if he makes it past Washington it'll start to get really interesting.

I'm not sweating it either way because I think he's a bit overhyped, but he'd still probably be my top choice at 19.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If Vea is there I think he's our pick, I just doubt he's there, although if he makes it past Washington it'll start to get really interesting.

I'm not sweating it either way because I think he's a bit overhyped, but he'd still probably be my top choice at 19.
Washington worries me as well, that's why if Roquan or Vea make it past 10, I'd like to strike a deal with Miami or Buffalo. But they're both surely hoping a QB falls. There's also a chance one of them trade up higher and we could deal with Cleveland or Denver.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Washington worries me as well, that's why if Roquan or Vea make it past 10, I'd like to strike a deal with Miami or Buffalo. But they're both surely hoping a QB falls. There's also a chance one of them trade up higher and we could deal with Cleveland or Denver.
I'm not really on board with trading up. I think I'd prefer to just take Vander Esch and Chark if at all possible. Chark would provide a huge boost in terms of big play ability. Dallas already has the ability to work their way slowly down the field with guys like Witten and Zeke. We just need a big play guy. And frankly I really like LVE. Through the process I've gone from being skeptical of him to really liking what he can do and his potential. If I had to pick between LVE and Chark or just Roquan Smith it's a no brainer to me. Get great players and athletes at our two biggest positions of need and move on.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
All this babbling from the Joneses is probably just a lame attempt at a pre-draft smokescreen.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All this babbling from the Joneses is probably just a lame attempt at a pre-draft smokescreen.
Eh we always say that but in the end it usually ends up that they are just babbling part of the truth. Sort of like the Zeke draft they made it pretty clear how highly they thought of Ramsay. In the end we took Zeke over him with Ramsay a close second. They weren't really lying but they also didn't come out and say they were drafting Zeke either.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
I'm on board with the LVE pick. Don't know about the "next Urlacher" shit but his ceiling seems crazy high.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
JC, the draft doesn't start until 9PM eastern so it could be around midnight by the time Dallas picks? Still pushing everything NFL as a prime time event I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom