2018 Cowboys hirings/firings thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think he is our defensive coordinator in waiting. Marinelli is probably retiring after this year.
But, what's dumb about that is we shouldn't be hiring future coordinators when the HC position is in question. Just play out the HC's tenure, hire a new HC, and let that guy hire his coordinators. We are so used to it being done backwards it's silly.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Another Linehan boy.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Believe he was something of a flop as an OC but maybe position coach suits him better. Wait and see I guess.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Believe he was something of a flop as an OC but maybe position coach suits him better. Wait and see I guess.
He had some success in college. He just most recently flopped at Florida. It's a TE's coach so my expectations aren't super high. I don't think it's a particularly hard position to coach.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
He had some success in college. He just most recently flopped at Florida. It's a TE's coach so my expectations aren't super high. I don't think it's a particularly hard position to coach.

High and tight Martellus. High and tight!

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
In Dallas, it is "would you like lemon in your water, Mr. Witten?".

junk

Not So New Member
Might be for a former QB who has never coached anything but QBs.

p1_

DCC 4Life
In Dallas, it is "would you like lemon in your water, Mr. Witten?".
This position is another target for major improvement. Witten needs to be phased out, pronto.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This position is another target for major improvement. Witten needs to be phased out, pronto.
We could make 6.5 mil for cutting him this year with literally no dead cap. But that's the type of move a savy GM makes. In Dallas it won't even be a thought. But seriously if Witten was cut, what would he get on the free agent market? Probably a veteran minimum type deal somewhere else.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We could make 6.5 mil for cutting him this year with literally no dead cap. But that's the type of move a savy GM makes. In Dallas it won't even be a thought. But seriously if Witten was cut, what would he get on the free agent market? Probably a veteran minimum type deal somewhere else.
He would go to a team like Philly and suddenly be able to catch passes beyond the sticks.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dallas Cowboys hire tight ends coach, close to completing staff

By Drew Davison

February 14, 2018 03:24 PM

Updated February 14, 2018 05:51 PM

The Dallas Cowboys are getting closer to completing their coaching staff.

The team will bring on Doug Nussmeier to coach tight ends, sources confirmed, replacing the vacancy left by Steve Loney (who retired). Nussmeier most recently served as the offensive coordinator at Florida from 2015-17.

It reunites Nussmeier with offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. Nussmeier was the Rams quarterbacks coach in 2006-07 when Linehan was the head coach.

The Cowboys have one vacancy left to fill on their staff after Doug Colman agreed to become the assistant special teams coach Wednesday, a source said. Colman was most recently with the Houston Texans. He also played five seasons in the NFL and was a member of the Tennessee Titans on their famed "Music City Miracle" in a 1999 playoff game.

That position opened up when the Cowboys promoted Keith O'Quinn to special teams coordinator. O'Quinn replaces Rich Bisaccia, who left to join Jon Gruden's staff in Oakland.

The Cowboys are still looking for a defensive assistant as Turner West accepted a job at Austin Peay.

The Cowboys have made eight changes to Jason Garrett's staff so far. Along with the aforementioned moves, Kellen Moore has replaced Wade Wilson as quarterbacks coach; Sanjay Lal has replaced Derek Dooley as wide receivers coach; Paul Alexander has replaced Frank Pollack as offensive line coach; Ben Bloom has replaced Matt Eberflus as linebackers coach; and Kris Rishard has replaced Joe Baker as secondary coach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It reunites Nussmeier with offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. Nussmeier was the Rams quarterbacks coach in 2006-07 when Linehan was the head coach.
Said it yesterday. Another Linehan boy.

You can look at it one of two ways. They are giving him everything he wants because his little power play seems to have worked; or they are giving him whatever he wants so if he fails, then he is the perfect little scapegoat.

Top Bottom