Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So basically we are here:

Wade Wilson out - 100 bucks says Kellen Moore in
Gary Brown - out
Derek Dooley - supposedly on the outs
Frank Pollack - supposedly on the outs

Matt Eberflus - out; going to New England or following Josh McDaniels to the Giants if he moves
Joe Baker - out

They better get this shit right or it could be a disaster.

It is almost unheard of to clean house of the majority of an assistant coach staff and retain the head coach and both coordinators.
And, just think, of those leaving, at least two of them aren't even being fired. They are being "allowed to look for work elsewhere". We can't even clean house properly, even to this degree.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Only because the rest of the field is not very good.

He is another one of those lifer coaches who everyone thinks is a "guru" (ala Marinelli) that gosh darn it always has a problem everywhere he goes.
I mean for the comedy factor.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys Coaching Carousel: The Lies On New Blood & Fresh Ideas
Dallas Cowboys Coaching Carousel: The Latest On Garrett's Staff And The Lies On 'New Blood And Fresh Ideas'
Mike Fisher - 4 hours ago

On Tuesday afternoon, I asked Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett about the value of “new blood and fresh ideas’’ on his about-to-change coaching staff.

He said some smart and eloquent things in his answer. But the Cowboys’ actions — not all of them Garrett’s call, with the Joneses involved, too — in the hours since?

Dallas is mistaking “new blood’’ as being the same as “fresh ideas.’’

And that’s a mistake.

Dallas is also being put into position as a potential “sinking ship’’ when it comes to luring assistants.

And under Garrett, that’s a mistake … but there might be nothing they can do about it.

Let’s go item-by-item here on The Cowboys Coaching Carousel (fans' discuss here!), starting at the top:

*The organizational chart in the front office is intact. That means Jerry Jones isn’t selling the team, it means Stephen Jones is the de facto GM, and it means, so far, that other NFL teams have not made loud overtures into trying to steal Will McClay. McClay is a big part of the brains of this operation, well beyond just personnel, and he’s a unifier for different wings at The Star.

Keeping him is paramount. So far, so good.

*The assistant head coach and special-teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia is gone. The Raiders have exposed the Rooney Rule for what it is — a fraud — as Jon Gruden is stealing his old Tampa Bay buddy Bisaccia. (The breaking news on this is here.) This is happening despite Bisaccia being under contract in Dallas.

I’m told the Cowboys will not demand compensation from the Raiders here.

*Want a fun name for Bisaccia’s replacement? Rich is one of the best in the game, but so is Brad Seely, who presently works in Oakland. What if those two simply swap offices?

*Two guys are gaining power inside The Star — and they are, surprisingly, offensive coaches.

*Coordinator Scott Linehan, who many in Cowboys Nation want fired, has an arrow pointing in the other direction. If that somehow means he wrestles the playbook from Garrett to also for more subtle creativity (“subtle’’ because we’re not talking about running triple reverses here, but just about, for instance, less predictability in route combinations and route running), it can be a good thing.

But it’s not such an attractive thing if all it means is that Linehan gets to elevate a couple of “his’’ young guys, like Kellen Moore (to QB coach in place of Wade Wilson, who tells me he's not being retained) and Kyle Valero (running backs coach?), to position-coach jobs. That’s not an indictment of their talents. Nor is it a rip when I jokingly note that Valero is coming from the level where “he picks up Coach’s laundry.’’

Moore and Valero (along with Keith O’Quinn, who might get bumped up to tight ends coach) can be wildly talented.

But if you’re already a “Linehan guy,’’ and you’re a young guy … you might represent “new blood’’ but not “fresh ideas.’’
Because your ideas already reflect and are formed by the existing philosophy.

*The other “power surprise’’ is Derek Dooley, the receivers coach, who may have played the media (i.e., me) like a fiddle by having his camp float the idea that he’s happy to be without a contract here, with an eye on getting a college coordinator’s job … all to simply get the Cowboys to give him an even more attractive deal.

Dooley is beloved in the receivers room, by Dez Bryant and others. He’s also now more loved than ever, I think, by the people above Garrett.

*Other up-and-comers in the building who might get elevation looks: Offensive line assistant Marc Colombo (especially if Frank Pollack is canned) and staffers Miles Austin and Andre Gurode. Are they ready to take big steps? Or are they near this position simply because they are “Cowboys guys’’?

*Matt Eberflus’ situation is a test in loyalty and a glimpse into Garrett’s long-term job security. A year ago, sources tell us, Dallas prevented the Rod Marinelli right-hand man from interviewing for the San Francisco defensive coordinator job. Thus, as no coincidence, Eberflus declined to sign an extension here.

Now Eberflus is free, and on the verge of big money and big authority elsewhere.

I’m told to watch where Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniel goes to see if Eberflus follows. And for fun, let’s see what else New England does with its staff.

If you are Matt Eberflus, and you are thinking about your future, would you rather be a Dallas linebackers coach or Bill Belichick’s linebackers coach?
The answer is obvious, and it’s not just because Belichick is a better guy on your resume than any Cowboys name. Stick with the Dallas staff and you may be on a sinking ship — certainly sinking relative to what will likely happen in New England in the coming years. If the Cowboys experience another non-playoff season in 2018, Garrett — with just one year after that on his contract — will be on the hottest of seats, no matter Jerry Jones’ affection for him. If Garrett gets fired, many of his holdover staffers will be on the street as well.

Coaching is a loyalty business when you’re working together … but it’s every man for himself when it’s contract time — platitudes about “fresh blood and new ideas’’ be damned.
In different ways, Bisaccia and Linehan have already proven that. And in different ways, Eberflus and Dooley may be about to prove that, too.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we go internal for QB/RB/OL/TE coach, with former players like Gurode, Colombo, etc., well, let's just say these idiots are going to get what they deserve. It'll only strengthen everyone's resolve in wanting Garrett and this shit circus out of town.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
All those words and not a single one advocating we go outside the organization to fill any potential coaching holes. Fuck you, Fisher, you hack.

data

Forbes #1
Garrett had no tree coming in...As a result, he's now developing a tree of saplings through his ex-players. YAY!

It's like a Home Ec project.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Does Jerry have a year-end performance review with Garrett -- like most companies do?

Jerry: Nine and eight. I was looking forward to better than that after last year.

RHG: Well, there was the Elliott suspension thing. Quite a distraction. Plus Irving missing games. Sean Lee was hurt. I'm not a miracle worker.

Jerry: Hmmm ... you lost a bunch of games when you had the lead at halftime. Whose fault is that?

RHG: Between you and me, that's on Marinelli and his guys. It's time to get rid of people like Eberflus.

Jerry: Aren't those guys also your guys? You're the head coach.

RHG: I can't coach linebackers and be a head coach at the same time.

Jerry: Why not give Zeke the ball at the three near the end of the Seattle game?

RHG: That's what I asked Scott afterward. Turns out Beasley was wide open and Dak just didn't see him. And I can't trust Pollack to coach those guys right.

Jerry: Speaking of which, why did Dak regress this year?

RHG: One word: Wilson. Enough said.

Jerry: And how come Dez and Beasely didn't do squat?

RHG: Dooley just didn't get it done. Time for some fresh blood there too.

Jerry: What about you Jason? You're 67 – 53, two playoff appearances, both losses. Why should I keep you around?

RHG: Eighteen million reasons: three more years at $6 million per. Plus who else you think would take this job?

Jerry: Good point. Wow, look at the time. Wanna do lunch?

RHG: You buying?

Jerry: I'm paying you $6 million a year and you can't buy for once?

RHG: I just keep focusing on how I can get better every day.

2233boys

Not So New Member
So basically we are here:

Wade Wilson out - 100 bucks says Kellen Moore in
Gary Brown - out
Derek Dooley - supposedly on the outs
Frank Pollack - supposedly on the outs

Matt Eberflus - out; going to New England or following Josh McDaniels to the Giants if he moves
Joe Baker - out

They better get this shit right or it could be a disaster.

It is almost unheard of to clean house of the majority of an assistant coach staff and retain the head coach and both coordinators.
Why the Fu*k is Gary Brown gone?

vince

Not So New Member
I was just asked that about week or two ago on by [MENTION=65]vince[/MENTION].

If the Cowboys were to fire Garrett next year and attempt to finally do things the right way, I'd be back for sure.

But let's say this goes on for another 3 or 4 years? I don't think I'll care all that much. I might have a little interest in the team, but probably in a way that someone does when they have an old hobby that they aren't active with anymore.

As I said to him, its human nature to lose most of if not all of your interest in something the more time you become completely withdrawn from it. And I genuinely plan on becoming completely withdrawn from the Cowboys day-to-day business so long as this bullshit goes on.

It's bad enough that Garrett is coming back, but if you believe Jerry, so will Linehan and Marinelli. That is basically spitting in the face of the fans and I don't know why anyone would continue to stand for that.

I'm not.....not anymore, at least.
Dude, it's not like Jerry Jones is in his 50s. He WILL die soon. I know that doesn't guarantee a huge change but there will be a change nonetheless.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Dude, it's not like Jerry Jones is in his 50s. He WILL die soon. I know that doesn't guarantee a huge change but there will be a change nonetheless.
See, I'm not convinced it'll be a whole lot different.

Yes, Stephen has more sense about him and he doesn't crave the spotlight like his father. But do not underestimate the influence his father has had on him and more importantly, the influence his father's way of doing things has had on him.

Remember, he has been his father's right hand man going on 20-plus years. In all that time, how many times has Stephen tried to talk some sense into his dad about maybe going outside of the organization for a GM or bringing in a HC worth a damn?

He may do it in a different way, but I'd be willing to bet that Stephen also enjoys the benefits of running the football aspects of the team much like his father did and does, so I think it's naive to assume that once Jerry is completely out of the picture that Stephen is going to go the way of Robert Kraft.

There's a very good possibility that Stephen will be far less annoying than Jerry, but that doesn't mean he's going to run the family business all that much different than his father did.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I wonder if we will be able to get good people when they know Garrett is out on his ass with another bad season.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Jerry's mother died in her 90s, and he's in his 70s right now. He could live another 20 years.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I wonder if we will be able to get good people when they know Garrett is out on his ass with another bad season.
Wouldnt it be sweet irony if Garrett's successor were someone we hire in this go round? He picks his staff, and watches one of them take his job, ala Fat Wade back in .... '07?

Newt

DCC 4Life
Wouldnt it be sweet irony if Garrett's successor were someone we hire in this go round? He picks his staff, and watches one of them take his job, ala Fat Wade back in .... '07?
Wasn't Garrett hired before Fat Wade though?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Wasn't Garrett hired before Fat Wade though?
Yes, but Garrett sandbagged Wade when he got tired of waiting for Jerry to fire him

p1_

DCC 4Life
Garrett was the coach in waiting. Perhaps the next one is on the staff already. Judas?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Garrett was the coach in waiting. Perhaps the next one is on the staff already. Judas?
Or in the owners box.

They are waiting on Jerry's grandson.

Top Bottom