2018 Cowboys hirings/firings thread...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If the Cowboys go 10-6 but still miss out on the playoffs, Garrett will be safe again.

Maybe you don't get it, but Jerry Jones absolutely does not want to fire Garrett and will not do so unless his hand is forced. Disappointing seasons are nowhere near enough to get Garrett fired.

The only chance of that happening is if he has a catastrophically bad season. I'm talking 5 wins or less with a healthy roster.

Jerry Jones will look for every reason NOT to fire him because he doesn't want to have to go looking for a new coach and risk making himself uncomfortable. So you need to get your mindset in tune with Jerry's in regards to Garrett's standing with the team.

What you consider disappointing is not disappointing to Jerry. Only the worst type of season will get Jerry to even ponder it.

9-7 just keeps Jerry talking about how close they are, so you can forget about that resulting in Garrett's dismissal.
I get that, and 10-6 with no playoffs would surely be enough to keep him around. I'm thinking more along the lines of 7 or 8 wins and he'd be out.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I get that, and 10-6 with no playoffs would surely be enough to keep him around. I'm thinking more along the lines of 7 or 8 wins and he'd be out.
I'm not even sure that does it.

I think as long as the Cowboys are competitive, Jerry will keep changing things around Garrett in a stubborn effort to try and make this work.

Like I said, you need 5 wins or less with a completely healthy roster if you want any chance of seeing Garrett go.

This is exactly why I didn't want those worthless wins vs those bad teams in November.

I wonder how everyone is feeling about beating the terrible Redskins and Giants now?

And remember when Dak throwing for 112 yards vs the Redskins was some sort of sign that he was improving?

Good times.

:art

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not even sure that does it.

I think as long as the Cowboys are competitive, Jerry will keep changing things around Garrett in a stubborn effort to try and make this work.

Like I said, you need 5 wins or less with a completely healthy roster if you want any chance of seeing Garrett go.

This is exactly why I didn't want those worthless wins vs those bad teams in November.

I wonder how everyone is feeling about beating the terrible Redskins and Giants now?

And remember when Dak throwing for 112 yards vs the Redskins was some sort of sign that he was improving?

Good times.

To be fair, there was a point when you didn't think there was any way we could even get to 9 wins...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
To be fair, there was a point when you didn't think there was any way we could even get to 9 wins...
Stats don't tell the whole story.

If not for facing awful teams down the stretch, we don't get to 9 wins.

This was not a 9-win caliber team, regardless of what their record says.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stats don't tell the whole story.

If not for facing awful teams down the stretch, we don't get to 9 wins.

This was not a 9-win caliber team, regardless of what their record says.
So you think our schedule was easy then? It's funny because all year long and before the season starts all I hear about is how tough and impossible the schedule is and how we'd be lucky to win 8 games. Then we win 9 games and suddenly the narrative changes.

You overrate how not good most of the NFL is. It doesn't take much to be a 9-7 NFL team.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So you think our schedule was easy then? It's funny because all year long and before the season starts all I hear about is how tough and impossible the schedule is and how we'd be lucky to win 8 games. Then we win 9 games and suddenly the narrative changes.

You overrate how not good most of the NFL is. It doesn't take much to be a 9-7 NFL team.
Forget what the schedule was to start the season, just look at our last 4 wins:

We beat the 7-9 Redskins, the 3-13 Giants, the 6-10 Raiders, and an Eagles team playing all of their backups.

So yea, I'd say those final games were "easy".

The only decent team we faced was Seattle and we couldn't even get into the endzone that day.

I think the final 5 games is a great indicator of how good or bad this team really was.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forget what the schedule was to start the season, just look at our last 4 wins:

We beat the 7-9 Redskins, the 3-13 Giants, the 6-10 Raiders, and an Eagles team playing all of their backups.

So yea, I'd say those final games were "easy".

The only decent team we faced was Seattle and we couldn't even get into the endzone that day.

I think the final 5 games is a great indicator of how good or bad this team really was.
But isn't that what a 9-7 team is? You beat the bad teams and lose to the good ones? I mean you realize that half of the NFL is 7-9 or worse right? And we didn't get lucky enough to face a team like the Packers after Rodgers was out. Of course we were lucky enough to face the Eagles without Wentz.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
But isn't that what a 9-7 team is? You beat the bad teams and lose to the good ones? I mean you realize that half of the NFL is 7-9 or worse right? And we didn't get lucky enough to face a team like the Packers after Rodgers was out. Of course we were lucky enough to face the Eagles without Wentz.
That’s about it. Every year the schedules are just reshuffled and the hard and easy games are still there but on different weeks of the schedules.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I do mean it.

But you're not getting rid of me. You guys are my best friends.
:lol

I'll still be around as well. I have plenty to talk about besides Cowboys football on this forum, plus I've been a member going on 13 years so this is become part of my daily routine.

I might even go into the Cowboys forum and poke and laugh at those when they're bitching about another poorly coached game in the middle of November.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:lol

I'll still be around as well. I have plenty to talk about besides Cowboys football on this forum, plus I've been a member going on 13 years so this is become part of my daily routine.

I might even go into the Cowboys for him and poke and laugh at those when they're bitching about another poorly coached game in the middle of November.

As a member and founder of the Fire Garrett clubhouse I will say that it doesn't have to be November for those poorly coached games.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
As a member and founder of the Fire Garrett clubhouse I will say that it doesn't have to be November for those poorly coached games.
Oh yea....it can happen in week 1.

I just think it'll be silly for fans, especially on this forum since most here are pretty intelligent fans, to be bitching about the exact same thing next season.

If you wanna keep watching, then go right ahead. To each their own. But if you're knowingly following the team despite their counterproductive way of doing things, then it doesn't make much sense to me to get upset those about those things it when they arise once more.

I'd rather not even watch and that's exactly why I won't come next season.

The way I look at it is, if you're willing to cheer and get your hopes up at draft time, then you're going to be mad when they blow another game via coaching in the fall.

Why even go through that anymore?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Oh yea....it can happen in week 1.

I just think it'll be silly for fans, especially on this forum since most here are pretty intelligent fans, to be bitching about the exact same thing next season.

If you wanna keep watching, then go right ahead. To each their own. But if you're knowingly following the team despite their counterproductive way of doing things, then it doesn't make much sense to me to get upset those about those things it when they arise once more.

I'd rather not even watch and that's exactly why I won't come next season.

The way I look at it is, if you're willing to cheer and get your hopes up at draft time, then you're going to be mad when they blow another game via coaching in the fall.

Why even go through that anymore?
Why root for a team at all then?
Just watch the game and in the end say "Yay! Such and such Won! Yipee!"
I watch because I'm a fan, I bitch because I want my team to win, it's pretty logical and straight forward if you ask me...
Do I think they'll win every game? No, that would be delusional. Do I hope they do? Absofuckinglutly, I'm a fan, that's what fans do. Am I trying to be more mature about it every year? Yes, I've even stopped crying after a loss...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Why root for a team at all then?
Just watch the game and in the end say "Yay! Such and such Won! Yipee!"
I watch because I'm a fan, I bitch because I want my team to win, it's pretty logical and straight forward if you ask me...
Do I think they'll win every game? No, that would be delusional. Do I hope they do? Absofuckinglutly, I'm a fan, that's what fans do. Am I trying to be more mature about it every year? Yes, I've even stopped crying after a loss...
That's totally understandable under normal circumstances.

But I just can't do it anymore with the Cowboys because there's a huge glaring hurdle that impedes our ability to advance as a team and it's being put there deliberately.

That's what makes this situation unique, IMO, and why I can't see why more fans haven't reached a breaking point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's totally understandable under normal circumstances.

But I just can't do it anymore with the Cowboys because there's a huge glaring hurdle that impedes our ability to advance as a team and it's being put there deliberately.

That's what makes this situation unique, IMO, and why I can't see why more fans haven't reached a breaking point.
So once you're past the breaking point do you become a fan again once Garrett is gone? Or are you forever gone as a fan? Just curious?

Fandom has never been anything that I can turn on or off like a light switch.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So once you're past the breaking point do you become a fan again once Garrett is gone? Or are you forever gone as a fan? Just curious?

I was just asked that about week or two ago on by [MENTION=65]vince[/MENTION].

If the Cowboys were to fire Garrett next year and attempt to finally do things the right way, I'd be back for sure.

But let's say this goes on for another 3 or 4 years? I don't think I'll care all that much. I might have a little interest in the team, but probably in a way that someone does when they have an old hobby that they aren't active with anymore.

As I said to him, its human nature to lose most of if not all of your interest in something the more time you become completely withdrawn from it. And I genuinely plan on becoming completely withdrawn from the Cowboys day-to-day business so long as this bullshit goes on.

It's bad enough that Garrett is coming back, but if you believe Jerry, so will Linehan and Marinelli. That is basically spitting in the face of the fans and I don't know why anyone would continue to stand for that.

I'm not.....not anymore, at least.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was just asked that about week or two ago on by [MENTION=65]vince[/MENTION].

If the Cowboys were to fire Garrett next year and attempt to finally do things the right way, I'd be back for sure.

But let's say this goes on for another 3 or 4 years? I don't think I'll care all that much. I might have a little interest in the team, but probably in a way that someone does when they have an old hobby that they aren't active with anymore.

As I said to him, its human nature to lose most of if not all of your interest in something the more time you become completely withdrawn from it. And I genuinely plan on becoming completely withdrawn from the Cowboys day-to-day business so long as this bullshit goes on.

It's bad enough that Garrett is coming back, but if you believe Jerry, so will Linehan and Marinelli. That is basically spitting in the face of the fans and I don't know why anyone would continue to stand for that.

I'm not.....not anymore, at least.
Yeah and I guess that's sort of how I am with most other sports. I mean I used to really like the Magic in the NBA and the Stars in the NHL but at some point I just sort of stopped caring about those sports. I still pay attention to those teams but I really don't care that much what happens to them.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

He is still a fan. Just a disgruntled fan that's not going to waste his time. I'm pretty much there myself but I will continue to watch. I've just been at it for too long to let Jerry completely win. I just won't purchase anything. Its all I got.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah and I guess that's sort of how I am with most other sports. I mean I used to really like the Magic in the NBA and the Stars in the NHL but at some point I just sort of stopped caring about those sports. I still pay attention to those teams but I really don't care that much what happens to them.
Exactly.

And while I don't want that to happen with the Cowboys, I am absolutely prepared to allow it to get to that point if that's what needs to happen.

But I am done supporting this product while Jerry Jones sticks the middle finger at me. He's been doing that to us for the better part of 20 years now, but now it's getting to insulting levels of disrespect.

Screw that.

Top Bottom