28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

They are really going to do this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

:lol

Real close? Like we are in some sort of competition for this shit.

GShock

DCC 4Life

p1_

DCC 4Life
"Foles is not an option", Jerry Jones.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Jesus fucking Christ.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
On The Eve Of The Senior Bowl, Stephen Jones Updates Coaching Staff
Monday, January 22, 2018 4:21 PM CST

By David Helman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
@HelmanDC

FRISCO, Texas – The Cowboys will soon embark on their annual trip to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., this week. But from the sounds of it, their coaching staff might not be making the trip.

Team executive vice president Stephen Jones appeared on the Hangin’ With The Boys podcast on Monday morning, where he said that Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and his coaches will likely remain in Texas to finish filling out the yet-to-be-completed staff for the coming year.

“I don’t know how much of our coaching staff is going to be there, obviously, with Jason putting together some new faces,” Jones said. “He was trying to get the chemistry together. And then of course, because we have been so focused on our staff, we still have our personnel evaluations to come.”

There has been plenty of turnover among the Cowboys’ coaching staff in recent weeks, with special teams coach Rich Bisaccia, quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson, wide receivers coach Derek Dooley, offensive line coach Frank Pollack, tight ends coach Steve Loney and secondary coach Joe Baker all leaving the staff in recent weeks.

The Cowboys replaced Dooley and Pollack, hiring former Bills assistant Sanjay Lal and former Bengals assistant Paul Alexander to fill their roles. Jones also hinted that the team may be close to hiring a new quarterbacks coach, while also acknowledging that the coaching staff is likely to see more losses.

“Well, we brought in Sanjay Lal, the receivers coach. He’s all signed up. And we’re real close to getting Kellen Moore penciled in as the quarterbacks coach,” Jones said. “And certainly it’s in the news that it’s pretty likely that we’ll lose Flus.”

Jones is referring to linebackers coach and passing game coordinator Matt Eberflus, who has been with the Cowboys since 2011. Eberflus is currently out of contract, and he has been strongly linked to several defensive coordinator openings. There has been no official news, but Jones seemed to indicate that Eberflus is in fact heading toward a promotion in the coming weeks.

“You have to respect guys’ careers and where they are,” he said. “We’ve got a great defensive coordinator in Rod Marinelli. And if he gets the opportunity to have an unfettered coordinator job, where he really gets to put in his own system, then that’s intriguing to men who want to further their careers.”

That meshes pretty well with reports from around the NFL, as word surfaced Monday that former Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard had interviewed in Dallas. Jones didn’t mention Richard by name, but he did allow that the Cowboys are looking to fill that position.

“We wanted Matt back. We would’ve had him back in a heartbeat. But we also understand what his opportunities are,” Jones said. “And so we’re interviewing some people for that passing coordinator position. Whether that passing game coordinator will be a defensive backs coach or a linebackers coach, we’ll just have to see where his strengths are in terms of where he coaches. Then, we’ll fill in after that.”

All of that should suffice to say that the Cowboys still have some work to do. There are several more openings to address, and work to do after they’ve been filled. That explains why the Cowboys’ coaches won’t be in Mobile this week – though they’ll be in place soon, with an eye on beginning evaluations for 2018.

“We decided as an organization to wait until we got the new guys in here,” Jones said. “We pretty much have a good feel for what everybody feels about our players who have been around all year. But we wanted the new coaches, the new staff who are going to be a part of Jason’s staff going forward, to be a part of our personnel meetings and evaluations.”

p1_

DCC 4Life
Report: Cowboys hire ousted Seahawks DC Kris Richard

There's simply no way to describe how impactful of a move this is for the Cowboys.

One team's loss is now a tremendous gain for the Dallas Cowboys.

The Seattle Seahawks opted to part ways with defensive coordinator Kris Richard, one of the more talented coaches in the NFL. As luck would have it, bad or otherwise, the Cowboys were also grieving the loss of linebackers coach/passing game coordinator Matt Eberflus -- who reportedly declined the team's offer of making him defensive coordinator on his way out the door to take the same post with the Indianapolis Colts.

In one fell swoop, the Cowboys were left to find a new assistant and a possible future DC, considering Rod Marinelli won't be in the NFL for much longer.

Marinelli is reportedly mulling retirement which could make 2018 his final year, if he decides to remain that long. This is where someone like Richard would be perfect, because if the Cowboys were willing to promote Eberflus to DC and subsequently Marinelli to the role of assistant head coach -- it means they're open to the reality they'll need a talented DC for the long-term. Few in the league have molded a defense as dynamic as what has been seen from the Seahawks in recent seasons, injury and age being the only two things that could derail it.

Clearly the Cowboys agree and, according to ESPN insider Gee Scott, the two sides have come to an agreement that will see Richard take the role of the team's defensive backs coach and passing game coordinator -- after what looks to have been a very positive interview held over Conference Championship weekend.

And it has now been confirmed.

This is a blend of positions, so to speak, as the former was the task of now-fired assistant coach Joe Baker while the latter having been one of Eberflus' duties. That leaves the role of linebackers coach still available and with the team having recently interviewed former star Ray Horton as well as John Pagano, there's still a chance one of them gets the nod if terms are agreed to.

The signing of Richard is a monumental one for Dallas, and could pay off immediately both now and in the future.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Bring on Earl Thomas, baby.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Love it! I think this is going to pay off big. Now if they can just find a way to shuffle Marinelli around to where Richard is calling the shots.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Moore? Meh. I'd rather see him as QB coach than QB2.

Re Richards: Dallas could have and has done worse. Regardless, I won't be be preordering tickets to SB LIII anytime soon as long as Garrett's around.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Monumental hiring?

Hyperbole much?

Is this a Hostile article?
Yeah, I am not as jazzed as a lot of people.

Nice recovery for losing Eberflus, but people are acting like this is some major coup. Seattle didn't want him, Indy chose Eberflus over him. Yet, he is future Garrett replacement now?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Nice recovery for losing Eberflus, but people are acting like this is some major coup. Seattle didn't want him, Indy chose Eberflus over him. Yet, he is future Garrett replacement now?
He could win me over if he did to Garrett what Garrett did to Wade.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

They interviewed him for head coach. I'd say that's a little different than Dallas hiring him as a passing game coordinator. Plus I'm pretty sure the Colts had already made up their mind about who they were hiring. Just have to appease the Rooney Rule.

It's a very good hire. I don't know about future head coach though. I'll start with future defensive coordinator.

p1_

DCC 4Life

for Marinelli.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He could win me over if he did to Garrett what Garrett did to Wade.
I would take Bozo the Clown if he could backstab Garrett with the same style and expertise as Garrett did to Phillips. That takes some skill.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Who cares? He's off the roster, isn't he? How do we know he's not a good QB coach?
Yeah he's as good as anyone else these jokers are likely to sign. Our coaches think they are better than they are. They suck at QB development, and I'm happy Romo at least had some time with Parcells, Lee, and Palmer.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Who cares? He's off the roster, isn't he? How do we know he's not a good QB coach?
Agree. I think some are being a little knee jerk about Moore being a position coach. He could turn out to be pretty good. No one can assess his effectiveness until he has a couple of years into the job.

Top Bottom