2018 Cowboys hirings/firings thread...

p1_

DCC 4Life
Cowboys interview Ray Horton, John Pagano

Posted by Charean Williams on January 18, 2018, 6:51 PM EST

The Cowboys are interviewing John Pagano and Ray Horton for vacancies on their defensive staff, according to Todd Archer of ESPN.

Pagano ended last season as Oakland’s defensive coordinator, taking over for Ken Norton Jr. after the Raiders fired Norton in the middle of the season. Pagano spent nine years coaching or assisting with the Chargers linebackers before becoming the defensive coordinator there in 2012.

Horton met with the Cowboys on Thursday. He played defensive back for the Cowboys for four seasons, including one with Jason Garrett as the backup quarterback.

He has coached for seven teams over 23 seasons, with his last coming in 2016 as the Browns defensive coordinator.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Mike Zimmer another coach Jerry whiffed on
Jerry eliminated Zimmer as an option because he felt Zimmer could coach a 3-4 defense. He wanted a combo HC/C because he felt that a walking around coach might be perceived as a puppet.

Frankly he didn’t believe in walking around coaches, in spite of Johnson and Parcells’ success.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

The Cowboys are interviewing John Pagano and Ray Horton for vacancies on their defensive staff, according to Todd Archer of ESPN.

Pagano ended last season as Oakland’s defensive coordinator, taking over for Ken Norton Jr. after the Raiders fired Norton in the middle of the season. Pagano spent nine years coaching or assisting with the Chargers linebackers before becoming the defensive coordinator there in 2012.

Horton met with the Cowboys on Thursday. He played defensive back for the Cowboys for four seasons, including one with Jason Garrett as the backup quarterback.

He has coached for seven teams over 23 seasons, with his last coming in 2016 as the Browns defensive coordinator.
These two at least seem like solid interviews. They both have a bunch of experience and have held positions of importance higher than what we would be hiring them for. Basically they have experience running defenses so if we hire them as position coaches at least they should be able to chip in with game plans.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

That's encouraging. Think I'd prefer Horton. Isn't Pagano a 3-4 guy?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's encouraging. Think I'd prefer Horton. Isn't Pagano a 3-4 guy?
Don't we have an opening with the LBers and the secondary?

And I think Pagano has worked under both. I think Matt Eberflus was the same way. We originally brought him in under Ryan.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Jerry eliminated Zimmer as an option because he felt Zimmer could coach a 3-4 defense. He wanted a combo HC/C because he felt that a walking around coach might be perceived as a puppet.

Frankly he didn’t believe in walking around coaches, in spite of Johnson and Parcells’ success.
did you mean to say Jerry felt Zim could not coach the 3-4?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you mean Eberflus leaving. That's supposedly a done deal, him going with McDaniels.
Yeah I'm sure they are just waiting to finalize that when the Patriots season is over. Joe Baker is gone in the secondary.

So I think we have an opening for both guys is what I'm saying.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
Maybe it's just the nature of hiring coordinators or position coaches, but why does Dallas always seem to hiring people from failed or mediocre franchises?

There seems to be a musical chairs aspect to these guys bouncing around from franchise to franchise. Very few ever distinguish themselves in any way.

Head coaches get fired and then you see them on some team's sideline during a game, and think, "Oh, that's where that guy wound up."

It's obvious that creativity and originality are not qualities you'd find in many NFL front offices.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Maybe it's just the nature of hiring coordinators or position coaches, but why does Dallas always seem to hiring people from failed or mediocre franchises?

There seems to be a musical chairs aspect to these guys bouncing around from franchise to franchise. Very few ever distinguish themselves in any way.

Head coaches get fired and then you see them on some team's sideline during a game, and think, "Oh, that's where that guy wound up."

It's obvious that creativity and originality are not qualities you'd find in many NFL front offices.
well, think about what we're hiring. All our openings are at the position coach level. We're not going to get stud coaching prospects and deep resumes for those positions.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
did you mean to say Jerry felt Zim could not coach the 3-4?
I don't know if that's what ravidubey meant but I seem to remember something like that. I remember believing that Jerrah hired Parcells because the Pats had become the hot team, they ran a 3-4 and Parcells knew the scheme well. JJ's always been one to try and copy successful teams moves.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Just how superior does Doug Pederson look over Jason Garrett?

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Just how superior does Doug Pederson look over Jason Garrett?
No Sproles, no Wentz, no Peters, no Hicks ... no problem. Meanwhile, Sean Lee leaves the field and all hell breaks loose.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome

BipolarFuk

Demoted
No Sproles, no Wentz, no Peters, no Hicks ... no problem. Meanwhile, Sean Lee leaves the field and all hell breaks loose.
Seriously, I'd like to hear someone in the gutless Dallas media keep asking the Cowboys how the Eagles can keep losing essential player after essential player and still make the Super Bowl, while Dallas loses one player and it all goes to shit.

Top Bottom